Gibson Brands Forums

Identify this guitar, please

dmorris29

Can anyone identify this guitar? Sorry, I don't have a shot of the headstock, but my son (who works in a used instrument shop and sent me the photos) didn't have one. He says there is no Gibson label or inlay though. Does this look like any Gibson you have seen? The serial # seems to indicate a 1968 Kalamazoo manufacture date - if genuine.

picture%20001.jpg

picture%20002.jpg

The angle of the pics is a bit vague, but Southern J. would be the clue.

Looks like a plastic bridge and the tuners might not be original.

Plastic bridge means early half of the 60's, but you should post more photos.

Even the guard is hard to judge from here.

The angle of the pics is a bit vague, but Southern J. would be the clue.

Looks like a plastic bridge and the tuners might not be original.

Plastic bridge means early half of the 60's, but you should post more photos.

Even the guard is hard to judge from here.

If it's a slope Gibson body (as it appears to be), that pickguard cannot be original. I'm a bit suspicious because of the SJ-type inlays on a plastic-bridged slope. Haven't seen that combination before. It's also a 19-fretter, which really has me confused.

The burst looks like faded late 60's, but the parts don't go together properly.

I think this is a refinished '49-'51 Gibson Southern Jumbo. Those didn't have the Gibson logo inlaid so it would have disappeared during a refin. The bridge, pg and tuners have been changed. That burst is ugly.

This is just a guess though. We would need to see some more pictures.

I do like that case!

It would be helpful if you gave us the factory order number from the neck block. Some of the visible characteristics are consistent with 1968, others are not. The fretboard suggests an earlier guitar, other characteristics suggest 1968.

As tvguit says, there is a signficant possibility the guitar has been refinished.

With more pictures, we can probably pin this one down. Front, back, and side of headstock would be good, as well as full front and full back of guitar.

Edit:

I've enlarged your photos to try to read the FON. I believe it has been mis-identified as 1968 by misinterpreting the number. You read it as a six-digit number beginning in "5", which would be consistent with 1968. But what I believe this may be--I'm guessing a bit based on a blurry photograph--is a 4-digit FON (beginning with 5), followed by a space, followed by a 2-digit sequence number. If that is the case, this is probably a 1950 SJ that has had significant later work done in the form of a bridge and pickguard replacement, and probably a top re-finish. This work could have been done by Gibson in the mid/late 1960's (explaining what appears to be a plastic bridge), although they would normally put a new headstock screen on as part of a re-finish, so this may not be a factory job.

A close-up photo of the FON format should seal the deal on this identification.

Archived