Gibson Brands Forums

I know its rough but

Izzy

As some of you know, I was trying to come up with bass lines for the music I've been recording and found myself with a ton of questions, hours of tinkering and a lot of head shaking and chuckling (because its better to laugh at yourself than get frustrated).

This is what I came up with for one of my songs so far. I do not have a bass guitar and now I know I will most def need one if I want to continue making bass lines because I can't do what I hear in my head with a VSTi. Talk about limitations! but as an exercise I thought, "meh, note arrangement practice."

Note to milod: yeah, me and the metronome need to make friends...he's just such an antsy bstrd, or lagging all the time!

Any con-crit you may provide will be appreciated...even if it is, "maybe you don't need to add a bass line to anything ever. Folk can be bassless." [biggrin]

https://soundcloud.com/izabellizima/mr-foster2/s-ne8Hx

I like it!

Nice voice, and I really like the ominous sound of the bass right there, but it could do with some tidying up. experiment a bit with what Rabs said etc.

I would also like to hear some kind of percussive instrument in there to keep it all together.

Thank you all for the encouraging comments. I don't play guitar often (mainly only when I feel like it or have to record) and know my limitations distract from the song. The bass was an experiment in notes and I'll try the suggestions ya'll have made, higher notes, switching to the beat of the guitar here and there and so forth...

I did have a percussion part, but I wanted to make the bass easy to hear...my drumming on the MIDI isn't bad, actually (shock)

Can you not find a band to support you. You're good enough to gig.

This was brought to my attention by someone else who very kindly PMed me his opinions. I would love nothing more than to find people to jam with, if only for a bit of fun, but when I look in craigslist for such peolpe...nothing. They are all looking for young girls or wanting to gig. I'm over 25 and with my schedule I'd have a hard time beign commited to a tight schedule. I could use the support, believe me. I know I'm a mediocre guitarist (my own fault for being sporadic with it), but I have no one else to play what I hear in my head. Just gotta play more regularly and get better. [biggrin]

First time hearing you sing. As was said, and said again, you have a great voices and you also have ABILITY in your singing. In a sense, you should not be giving yourself crap for not being the guitar player you think you should because most or all of us here can not sing as you do. And it's one thing to learn to sing, but another to have a good voice.

As for the song and overall performance, I saw stick a fork in it. There is not really a need to "perfect" it, and you might be overthinking it.

I say this because, mainly, you can have many different "arrangements" for a particular song. For example, you can have a "rock" type that includes bass and drums, electric guitar. Maybe do it in Punk style. Or Jazzy. You can do a country or Bluegrass style with all accoustic strings all busy and such, or a solo accoustic singer/songwriter hippy thing.

It seems to me you are stressing yourself over the "arrangement" of it rather than the tune or performance. And in doing so, thinking too much on each note or how it will be presented THIS way. My opinion is it won't get you far doing it this way. So, I say "stick a fork in it", and put it in that "finished" tune place. And as you come back to it or jam on it, play it however you feel that particular day. Arrangements might come much easier and natural that way.

You mention "timing" right off. I think you get it. There are a few moments, but I notice a couple things: Your singing has no such difficulties at all, in fact, kinda uncanny. Also, the only places I notice any timing frups is after silent parts starting up again. In doing so, you don't provide yourself with any clues or reference when to come in. When playing with more than one person (or yourself in this case), you NEED a reference either in the form of a click track, or to count (and a refence when to start the count). So I might suggest it isn't a case of your timing sucking, but rather the way you have arranged the playback. You set yourself up.

I could go on, but I risk loosing the point. I think it's a great song, I like the vocal, I like the chords you have chosen. It's ready. Ready for a jam or a band, or for playing however you or anyone else feels or wants.

1360437734[/url]' post='1325192']

Thank you all for the encouraging comments. I don't play guitar often (mainly only when I feel like it or have to record) and know my limitations distract from the song. The bass was an experiment in notes and I'll try the suggestions ya'll have made, higher notes, switching to the beat of the guitar here and there and so forth...

I did have a percussion part, but I wanted to make the bass easy to hear...my drumming on the MIDI isn't bad, actually (shock)

This was brought to my attention by someone else who very kindly PMed me his opinions. I would love nothing more than to find people to jam with, if only for a bit of fun, but when I look in craigslist for such peolpe...nothing. They are all looking for young girls or wanting to gig. I'm over 25 and with my schedule I'd have a hard time beign commited to a tight schedule. I could use the support, believe me. I know I'm a mediocre guitarist (my own fault for being sporadic with it), but I have no one else to play what I hear in my head. Just gotta play more regularly and get better. [biggrin]

That is always a problem, the older we get the more obligations we have and the harder it is to "suffer for our art". Are you primarily a strummer?, that is why I asked about open tuning. Listen to Buffy St. Marie, her voice also has great range uses open tuning as do many other singer players. The other thing that would help with adding bass lines is to go back to the basic Carter style bass line picking. It may sound silly, but it is what James Taylor and many other strong singer players use to add bass lines to their songs,http://www.mindbites.com/lesson/11360-carter-picking-chapter-1

I want to find people to work with because its hard, trying to to do it all yourself and putting on all the hats.

Ani D started just her and the guitar. She is a guitarist who sings and became a singer over time. I am a singer who needing accompaniment plays guitar quarter-assed.

I did look at an Epiphone Viola bass at the pawn shop. It felt okay but man, sucking at three instruments rather than two is a big commitment [flapper]

Milod said to go shortbass and rct said go long...any advice in case I dive in with a REAL bass? Brands that are under-rated and not superexpensive?

Milod said to go shortbass and rct said go long...any advice in case I dive in with a REAL bass? Brands that are under-rated and not superexpensive?

Cant go wrong with a good old Squire P bass.. they are great value for money and do the job well..

First time hearing you sing. As was said, and said again, you have a great voices and you also have ABILITY in your singing. In a sense, you should not be giving yourself crap for not being the guitar player you think you should because most or all of us here can not sing as you do. And it's one thing to learn to sing, but another to have a good voice.

As for the song and overall performance, I saw stick a fork in it. There is not really a need to "perfect" it, and you might be overthinking it.

I say this because, mainly, you can have many different "arrangements" for a particular song. For example, you can have a "rock" type that includes bass and drums, electric guitar. Maybe do it in Punk style. Or Jazzy. You can do a country or Bluegrass style with all accoustic strings all busy and such, or a solo accoustic singer/songwriter hippy thing.

It seems to me you are stressing yourself over the "arrangement" of it rather than the tune or performance. And in doing so, thinking too much on each note or how it will be presented THIS way. My opinion is it won't get you far doing it this way. So, I say "stick a fork in it", and put it in that "finished" tune place. And as you come back to it or jam on it, play it however you feel that particular day. Arrangements might come much easier and natural that way.

You mention "timing" right off. I think you get it. There are a few moments, but I notice a couple things: Your singing has no such difficulties at all, in fact, kinda uncanny. Also, the only places I notice any timing frups is after silent parts starting up again. In doing so, you don't provide yourself with any clues or reference when to come in. When playing with more than one person (or yourself in this case), you NEED a reference either in the form of a click track, or to count (and a refence when to start the count). So I might suggest it isn't a case of your timing sucking, but rather the way you have arranged the playback. You set yourself up.

I could go on, but I risk loosing the point. I think it's a great song, I like the vocal, I like the chords you have chosen. It's ready. Ready for a jam or a band, or for playing however you or anyone else feels or wants.

I'm not a wordsmith, so I'll quote stein. He nailed it.

Izzy, you sing like an angel! [thumbup]

I'd go with a short scale just like the one I have.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-bass-special-ss-short-scale

Here's Tim from my luthier's shop playing one out of the box.

Get it a nice setup & you're good to go.

Archived