Gibson Brands Forums

"The Beatles!"

MrNylon

I didn't mean the music didn't have staying power. I just meant the Stones and the Who are still playing live gigs (although not with original members due to deaths) and the Beatles pretty much gave it up about '69 or '70.

Well, most of what they wrote, was either John's song, Paul's song, and sometimes. George's song...

combined, using their individual inputs, to a final end. John once stated, that if "the fans"

want more "Beatles" albums, to just "record each of their individual solo efforts, and mix them up,

on one tape, etc., and there you'd have it. Of course, that's a bit overstated, and/or sarcastic,

but it was John, being John. LOL

As to "staying power?" The Business end, and their own restlessness, to do other projects, killed "The Beatles,"

more than anything else...IMHO. Sure, they had their "differences," personally...they always did! Ringo, and

Paul both, and even George have stated, repeatedly, that all that BS went out the window, whenever they started

playing music, together. In later years, once the business BS calmed down, they never really ruled out, or said

"never," to a reunion, entirely. I just don't think they really saw the "need" for that...unless, of course, they

just wanted to do it, for FUN! That's where they started..where we ALL start, isn't it...having fun?!

That would have been very interesting, to see. But, a numb-nut crazy person, on December 8th, 1980...put an end,

once and for all, to that possiblity.

CB

I have a old friend who actually did open for the Beatles! And they did a cover of one of his songs. Chan Romero had a hit in 1959 called Hippy Hippy Shake! Paul heard it while the guys were playing in Germany and covered it.Here is a link to Chan's website. A little known living rock and roll royalty, and a really good guy.http://www.rockabillyhall.com/ChanRomero1.html

Now that really IS cool. And unfortunately, I remember the "Hippy Hippy Shake" [scared]

As to "staying power?" The Business end, and their own restlessness, to do other projects, killed "The Beatles,"

more than anything else...IMHO. Sure, they had their "differences," personally...they always did! Ringo, and

Paul both, and even George have stated, repeatedly, that all that BS went out the window, whenever they started

playing music, together. In later years, once the business BS calmed down, they never really ruled out, or said

"never," to a reunion, entirely. I just don't think they really saw the "need" for that...unless, of course, they

just wanted to do it, for FUN! That's where they started..where we ALL start, isn't it...having fun?!

How many bands who broke up nearly 45 years ago are still relevant? Staying power indeed.

If you've never read it I highly recommend "You Never Give Me Your Money". A very insightful read into the disintegration and downfall of the group. But somewhere in there, George Martin is quoted as saying that (paraphrase) "having two of them in the studio was special, three of them was wonderful, but all four was just magic" or something to that effect. Pretty much sums it up for me.

Staying power? Really? The Beatles music will be played centuries from now...how about yours?

Yes, indeed, it will! Without trying to overstate here...for me, Beatles music was/IS uplifting,

melancholy, irreverent (in a good way), and...about love, pain, salvation, and still optimistic, in

life's possibilities, all at the same time. And...it was honest, about all that! Even when the lyrics

were somewhat darker, the melodies, and rhythms still left a positive feeling...like there can still be

a good outcome, etc.

I don't know...it's always been just "magical," that way...at least, for me. And, still lifts my spirits,

when I need it, even after all these years! [thumbup]

CB

I remember that show very well. I was 7. It immediately made me want to play guitar. I remember the little Beatle toys with the big soft plastic heads and the hair stuck on those little hard plastic bodies with the little guitars draped over them with their autographs on them. I still have the Beatle bobble heads, with them in their collarless jackets.

Yet, anytime a Beatles thread is started, there is always a dismissive troll, but the facts are very clear. They were not merely just popular, they became a world icon. Everyone knew who they were in every country. When they came out with a new release, it turned the heads of everyone else. They lead, others followed. If you listen the their music and the harmonic structure of it, then hold it up to what was going on all around them, there was just no comparison. They had their own sound and influenced everyone else. Then they stopped nearly as suddenly as they came on, to leave the rest of us to speculate what could have been if they continued. As it is, they likely made the right call at the right time. Who knows what they would have put out? It was nice to hear Paul, George and Ringo give us a glimpse when they manufactured Free as a Bird from a Lennon demo. Those lush harmonies were there. And George's stinging slide guitar was spectacular. But during the 70s when everyone was asking them if they would reunite, it had to be in their heads on how they could follow themselves after such an iconic period. They certainly were creative enough that they could have given us more very high quality music. There was just something they had as a whole that never seemed to be there from each of them as individuals. Certainly each of them had wonderful solo efforts, but few rose to the level of what the four of them could do. Yes, there was some silly stuff - or as John said, "Paul putting one out there for the grannies", but it was more refective of their humor than an indictment of their talent as songwriters. But here it is 40+ years later and people still buy their music - and it sounds as timeless as ever.

Those of us that lived through it didn't realize it at the time, but we witnessed a cultural changing event that most people never see in their lifetime.

Well, I was just starting HS when the Beatles' music first hit the charts, and became a big Beatles fan! My friends & I had just formed a band, and the music they played was a "treasure trove" for us. The girls went nuts whenever we played a Beatles tune. It was great fun. Their song writing ability and musical composition was pure GENIUS!!! These guys from Liverpool that were so young. I mean, they didn't play the standard C, A min, F & G that is so common among the music of the day. They weren't "copying" anyone...they were doing their own stuff, and all original. Even Mick Jagger was envious of their early success. And every song they wrote and performed was an improvement on what had come before.

My thanks to Big Kahune for putting up that collection of videos...I thoroughly enjoyed going back in time! [thumbup]

Glen

“The staying power” - these are some strange words for the Beatles, of course. It's wrote about them that their work in music was like a volcanic eruption. They almost have no walk-through things, almost all the songs are the hits. This is rather thanks to their good team. Generally, as regards their team, how they influenced each other in work – this can be a special interesting thread.

I think it's good that they disbanded in 1970. Same with Zeppelin (although they couldn't have went on without Bonzo so it's kind of a facile argument). I mean, we're all waiting for the Stones, KISS, Ozzy, and stuff to retire, The Who simply are not good anymore (no disrespect to Zak Starkey and the rest of the current lineup), so on and so forth. Van Halen is alright but DLR is done. Deep Purple is alright but Morse isn't Blackmore and Gillan cannot sing anymore. Scorpions ARE retiring. Rush, Aerosmith, Cheap Trick, the newly reunited (well, sorta.....) Sabbath, Ted Nugent (although he continues to shoot himself in the foot---no pun intended), Alice Cooper, Ace Frehley, AC/DC, UFO, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Neil Young, Springsteen and the rest of em' still kick ***, though. Anyway, it was smart for them to call it quits.

BTW, we rocked "Slow Down" last night! But my guitar solo afterwards was so phoned-in I should be in jail for playing it....

I was 11, sitting on the living room carpet watching that 1st appearence of the Beatles on Ed Sullivan show. I remember every minutes of it and that's the main reason I played and still play guitar almost everyday. I always make 10 to 12 of their songs on every gigs I do... 49 years later !!! Time pass so fast :(

No arguments, no discussions or anything will make me change my mind... They are the greatest of all time...

In my eyes, George never reached his full potential outside of the band. Aside from All Things Must Pass, The Travelling Willburys and stuff, his solo records always lacked something. They were good (especially Living in the Material World), but not as great as they should have been.

Archived