Gibson Brands Forums

1940's L-50's value.... Talk to me

ParlourMan

Archtop, it's been refinished, but a wonderful job, original example tends to shift around 1850-2100 GBP, working truss rod and dealer rating of 'vg+' , the dealer is also a 5-star dealer for Gibson, with decent rep so should be a fair assessment of what vg+ is. Aged between 46-48, has 1 11/16 nut width, the rest looks good too.

Archtop, it's been refinished, but a wonderful job, original example tends to shift around 1850-2100 GBP, working truss rod and dealer rating of 'vg+' , the dealer is also a 5-star dealer for Gibson, with decent rep so should be a fair assessment of what vg+ is. Aged between 46-48, has 1 11/16 nut width, the rest looks good too.

In the US, with a re-finish, maybe $800- $1200 at most. As a comparison, you can buy a good post-war L-7 for about $2000, and that's carved solid spruce top, carved solid maple back, and 17" body. And a slightly wider nut.

Archtops are cheap here now. There's a whole bunch on ebay from dealers at rational prices--and some at irrational prices.

Here's my 1947 L-7:

L-7-1.jpg

Archtops, particularly Gibby's, are at ridicular low prices right now. You couldn't even get one built or mass produced for what they are going for, let alone come close to the quality.

It's tough to say, because it's such a buyers market, what they are selling for is so low it all depends what you can get your hands on, and you CAN get your hands on.

As for the refin, lucky you. A refin REALLY hurts the value, technically, and especially if you consider that those buying might be looking for the future value, or just walk on to the next. But really, the values are so low that a good condition refin might not go for all that much less.

I mean really, as L7NICK has said, (and he has shopped), can you really expect a Gibby of L-50 quality to go for less than 1200? 800? There's going to be a bottom somewhere just based on quality and playability.

What's the asking price?

Archived