Gibson Brands Forums

Telecaster poster for the man cave

ksdaddy

So in my previous life I had an workshop in the old house. One of the things I had glued to a cupboard door was this Tele poster:

2j3pkk3.jpg

It's glued on there and I doubt I can remove it without damage. It's been on there at least 10 years, maybe more. I did a google and ebay search for Telecaster posters and came up with nothing. Anyone know where I can find one of these? The new man cave is shaping up and needs representation from the California company.

I tried peeling it and tore a corner. I may try steaming it off. Not sure when I put it up there but I'm guessing around 2000. Even if it gets somewhat damaged I'll take it.

This is one that was also in the shop since 1991. I carefully removed it and it is now framed over the workbench in the new shop:

296452_457251520982396_114292462_n.jpg

I always got a kick out of the "You won't part with yours either" ad campaign. My two favorites were the skydiver and the fighter pilot (or maybe the snorkeler, or maybe the surfer).

As for the "Blonde on Blonde", take a really good high-res digital photo of it and have it reprinted. You might even be able to find someplace that could scan it while still mounted to the door.

My Tele came from a music store in Van Buren Maine. It was a family business since the 50s I think. They moved into a larger store around 1990. As long as I can recall there were 70s Fender posters on the wall, one with a dragster/Fender thing, another that made a maple neck look like a snake.... I don't recall specifics, they were just always "there". When they moved, they tried to remove the posters to no avail. Shame.

Bill G gave me some Gibson posters back in 2006. Thankfully I put them in cheap poster frames instead of gluing them onto the wall. They're messed up now due to the cardboard backing absorbing moisture but all I'd have to do is re-frame them. Blondie may have a tougher ride.

Blondie must survive.

In 1991 I put new kitchen cupboards in the old house. I repurposed any salvageable ones in the (newly constructed) shop.

Heck-fire, it's STILL my house even though I haven't lived there for a year, I could take the whole cupboard door off and they wouldn't be in much of a position to say anything.... seeing as how they (my daughter and her boyfriend) can't afford a payment and I'm basically charging them taxes & insurance as "rent" to the princely sum of $130 a month.

I think I'll try steaming it though. I can't imagine using anything too aggressive when I put it up there. Elmers glue maybe? I can picture myself slathering Elmer's on there with a paint brush.

Or I could run around a piece of plywood with a couple router bits and just put a new door on the cupboard.....

In 1991 I put new kitchen cupboards in the old house. I repurposed any salvageable ones in the (newly constructed) shop.

Heck-fire, it's STILL my house even though I haven't lived there for a year, I could take the whole cupboard door off and they wouldn't be in much of a position to say anything.... seeing as how they (my daughter and her boyfriend) can't afford a payment and I'm basically charging them taxes & insurance as "rent" to the princely sum of $130 a month.

I think I'll try steaming it though. I can't imagine using anything too aggressive when I put it up there. Elmers glue maybe? I can picture myself slathering Elmer's on there with a paint brush.

Or I could run around a piece of plywood with a couple router bits and just put a new door on the cupboard.....

Methinks:

From what you describe, it might not even NEED a door there now, or, you could put it off until the next "remodel" in which case you might get all new cabs or faces, or rip them all out.

But one thing I think: personally, given that the poster has survived quite well on the door and the risk of trying to remove it, I think you should make the door the permanent backing if anything.

And also, given your skills, it would seem to me you would have no problem making a door. You could replace the door lots easier than replacing the poster.

Besides, BLONDIE MUST SURVIVE!

Here's a link to a poster company with Telecaster Posters.

Check 'em out.

If you're really serious about this particular poster, take the best photograph you can possibly take and have a vinyl sticky made. Fat Head does that sort of stuff.

I've seen interior designers do this type of thing on huge scale for clients.

That's the best advice I can give you KSdaddy.

Archived