Gibson Brands Forums

Which of these Amps if any?

hydrodriver

I have a Sheraton for sale that a Guy has offered three different amps to trade even for it. I value the Sheraton at around $400. I wanted to get some opinions as to whether or not the amps are any good and about what they are worth. It might be something I would consider keeping to play my ES335 thru and sell my current Marshall MG50DFX.

1. Trace Elliot Super Tramp 80W Tupe pre-amp with 4X12 speakers

2. Marshall JTM30 All Tube

3. Ampeg Reverb Rocket 50W 2X12

Any input would be appreciated!!!

Mark

I have a Sheraton for sale that a Guy has offered three different amps to trade even for it. I value the Sheraton at around $400. I wanted to get some opinions as to whether or not the amps are any good and about what they are worth. It might be something I would consider keeping to play my ES335 thru and sell my current Marshall MG50DFX.

1. Trace Elliot Super Tramp 80W Tupe pre-amp with 4X12 speakers

2. Marshall JTM30 All Tube

3. Ampeg Reverb Rocket 50W 2X12

Any input would be appreciated!!!

Mark

IS that Marshall JTM the 2x10 version? I have the 60watt 2x12 version?

I run it with a JTM 2x12 extension cab, sounds great and it's been very reliable

I recorded a few tracks once at a studio using the JTM30 2x10 good sounding amp, but didn't really have a lot of "Beans" so it depends on what you plan to do with it.

I had the JTM 30 1x12. I thought it sounded great but the transformer went and I had heard this series of Marshalls were prone to this type of failure so I mentioned it to the store before I bought it. Got my money back but it's too bad because I liked the sound of the amp. I would go with the Ampeg.

I can't be sure, but I'm gonna guess that cash value for the Marshall and the Ampeg are about the same....maybe a little less than the Sheri, but not to me enough to be concerned with.

So, having said that, if the trade is simply for pleasure, why not try them both and decide? If either are offered, it would seem you have a choice.

Right off, I would say that compared to the Marshall you have, the JTM30 would be an upgrade in all ways. But, then the Ampeg...hmm...

There's the question of what kind of sound you like and what kind of music you like, as well as what you want to use the amp for. You know, all the normal questions one would ask themselves when choosing an amp to try or look for.

I am probably more than a bit biased but I would be inclined to go for the Marshall,I have a Marshall JCM 800-4210 which is a 1-12 model 50W amp and it puts more than enough great tone with that lone G-12-M-75 speaker but I have on occasion hooked up my 1960B 4-12 cabinet and the sound is even more incredible.The Marshall that you were offered is one of the better 1-12 models and would work well with an added 1-12 cabinet or even a 4-12 plus you would have Marshalls ruggedness and bullet-proof reliability.None of my 4 Marshalls has given me a single minute's trouble even the 42 year old Artiste.

Archived