Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on Les Paul Studios

nashvillekat

I am seriously looking at a Gibson Les Paul Studio which an online dealer has for sale at a very good price. I wanted something I could use in clubs and not worry too much about getting it banged up. I like the fact that it has Burstbuster pups, vintage tuners and just looks pretty cool.

I have a LPJ special with P-90s. I like that guitar a lot but the P-90s are a little noisey.

Anybody have comments, pro or con on this model? Thanks

I am seriously looking at a Gibson Les Paul Studio which an online dealer has for sale at a very good price. I wanted something I could use in clubs and not worry too much about getting it banged up. I like the fact that it has Burstbuster pups, vintage tuners and just looks pretty cool.

I have a LPJ special with P-90s. I like that guitar a lot but the P-90s are a little noisey.

Hello!

In my opinion, Studio's are the best value for a Les Paul money can buy. They have all the main features of higher end Les Pauls, including the sound. However, their quality control is all over the place sometimes so you could get a really good one or a complete lemon.

Make sure you play around with the guitar when you see it and make sure everything is in order. If the condition is good and there are no flaws, you could end up with a killer axe!

Just know that these guitars come with a 50's "baseball bat" neck (if that matters to you at all).

Good luck!

About once a month, this question comes up.

It's hard to answer, because there are so MANY models and levels of "Studio". Really, "Studio" is a model that means no binding. There are few exceptions to that, but the definition is basically a Les Paul without binding or trim of the other models.

Depending on the particular model of Studio, it could be EXACTLY the same guitar as the "Standard" without binding, or, it could be more stripped down such as a thinner finish, different finish, fancy or plain tops, just as other models can be different as well. And in some cases, different levels of handwork and quality.

The basic idea though, is you get basically the same guitar as a more expensive model, that at least has the POTENTIAL to sound as good as any, and play as good as any, without appointments that may or may not matter. If they don't perform as good out of the box, they can surely be made to.

2011 Studio Faded or worn red (can't remember which) w/burstbuckers. I think Gibson offered the studio in this year with baked maple because rosewood wasn't available, but the tradeoff was getting burstbuckerpros. I've had the guitar less than a year, of course nothing from the factory comes setup right, so I had to set it up according to my preference: lowered pickups, top wrapped strings, changed string guage and corrected fret buzz. I am seriously considering upgrading the electronics because I have an audible hum/buzz when the volume and tones are full up. The darn guitar doesn't like to stay in tune through rigorous bending and such! maybe tuners should be upgraded too. I like the feel and playability, the colour is awsome, body feels good. I'm still getting used to it, that is, the break in period.

I have 2, a 2008 red wine with a slim 60 neck 490/498 pups and a 2012 studio deluxe 50's in Teaburst with a 50 neck 490/burstbuckerpro and push/pull. Both are excellent guitars. Never had an issue with them. While I don't have a Standard I have plaid many of them and can't tell any difference in the sound. I can tell the driffence between the studios and my Epiphone. I personally prefer studios because I don't care for the neck binding. I love both of them but my favorite has to be my Studio Deluxe from GC. It was actually cheaper then my red wine, but so much better. I don't think you will be disappointed with a studio.

I have 2, a 2008 red wine with a slim 60 neck 490/498 pups and a 2012 studio deluxe 50's in Teaburst with a 50 neck 490/burstbuckerpro and push/pull. Both are excellent guitars. Never had an issue with them. While I don't have a Standard I have plaid many of them and can't tell any difference in the sound. I can tell the driffence between the studios and my Epiphone. I personally prefer studios because I don't care for the neck binding. I love both of them but my favorite has to be my Studio Deluxe from GC. It was actually cheaper then my red wine, but so much better. I don't think you will be disappointed with a studio.

for the money you can't beat a Studio. My son's Deluxe from GC actually sounds better than my Stnd Traditional hanging next to it (same SD JB pups too).

I do like the feel of neck binding though.

yeah those p90's; that noise. it's a big turn off. i considered the lp studio with p90's and couldn't want to buy the buzz coming out of the amp from the p90 pickups. without a 'hum debugger' (electroharmonix) pedal or noise gate the p90's were not usefull to me at all. aftemarket company's like lollar make 'noiseless' p90's but why doesn't gibson get the noise worked out? true to historical 'patent applied for' specs or not the noise from gibson p90s is a big turn off.

Archived