Gibson Brands Forums

Refinishing a '68 J-50

livemusic

I've mentioned lately that this guitar I bought a few years ago is sounding unbelievably good. In its own way, as good as any guitar I've ever heard. There is a minor intonation issue I want a tech to check and see if we can make it even better. I could envision this guitar becoming a favorite guitar. It's a bit banged up. The top is pretty good, I could leave it alone, actually. The back, I suspect, has already been refinished before me.

back -- likely refinished before me

sides -- numerous dings

top -- a few dings, nothing serious; some lacquer crazing

fretboard -- in cowboy chord territory, some wear; the wear at fret 1, b-string affects play in a minor/moderate way (there is Fretboard and fret wear in the upper frets)

headstock -- ugliest part, has a major ding

tuners -- hard to turn but functioning; appear to be original but a couple of posts are missing a bushing

bridge -- looks fine to me

saddle -- this is an adjustable (rosewood?) saddle

neck -- I suspect it has had a neck reset

action -- low, it's fine (but no room on the saddle to lower it in the future)

binding -- I don't see any issues

Cosmetically, I would be okay with leaving the top alone, it has a few dings but still looks pretty good. Has a deep tan/brown color. Yet, making the guitar look new again is a bit intriguing. If they refinish, does that change the color of the top? (It wouldn't matter to me.)

HOWEVER, I do not want to do anything to screw up this guitar's sound. Would refinishing the top and/or sides affect the sound? Fixing the fretboard and headstock, surely, that wouldn't. Just seeking feedback on these specific things I revealed.

As for refinishing, are there certain luthiers who are known to be good at this?

I would leave it alone cosmetically, and fix any functional issues, such as missing tuner bushings and servicing the tuners. It sounds like you might need to replace frets 1-4, which is a common job on guitars that get a lot of cowboy chord playing.

Normal wear is part of the charm of any vintage guitar, and maybe even part of its soul. You don't know how that could change if you refinish.

And if the existing finish is original, a re-finish dramatically cuts value.

The tuners can be serviced to function as new. Replacement bushings are readily available, but you have to make sure they are the right OD and ID. I have written detailed instructions on overhauling original Klusons (if that's what you have) several times here, but would be glad to reply to you personally on this if you wish.

Pictures would be very helpful.

Pics or not & value be damned, this part doesn't change for me: do not refinish the top of a vintage guitar that sounds good & has a top that is anything other than so hideous that even its mother couldn't look at it and/or a truck ran over it.

Refinishing the back & sides will have less impact on tone but on your guitar I'd likely attend to any functional issues only & just play it.

That's my take but I am just a player & it is your guitar.

Edit: There are no compelling logical reasons why a properly-refinished guitar would be negatively affected, sound-wise.

We're not talkin' logical here: we're talkin' mojo and karma......

What if the guitar takes exception to the face lift?

I doubt that I would ever sell this guitar. I guess I would leave the top alone, it's actually in good shape for 43 years old, just a few dings.

The fretboard is worn, that's what I meant. But I look closer and see that the frets are also worn on e-string and b-string for frets 1-5. I assume they can replace the fretboard material? If so, do they replace frets at same time? Does that affect tone?

If I can get my brother to take some pics, I will post them.

She's really growing on me.

There are lots of possibilities that would require careful in-person inspection by a qualified individual. The wear of the fingerboard itself (the wood part) may not be significant enough to require removal of all the frets, sanding down the entire fingerboard, and re-fretting it. Replacement of the entire fingerboard is an even bigger, more expensive job, and of course would include a re-fret. Gouges in the fingerboard wood may be able to be filled. Or, your guitar may just need a re-fret from 1-5.

Cool, I didn't know you could fill gouges and I didn't know you could do a partial refret. It's totally playable but if we're splitting hairs, the occasional C-chord with the gouge at fret 1, b-string doesn't fret well.

I'd leave it alone and save your money for the neck reset. You mention you think that the neck has already been reset? I'm curious as to why the saddle has no room to go lower if the neck has been reset. Regardless, if the saddle is that low and out of room, a neck reset might be needed sooner than any refinishing.

A neck reset is an excellent opportunity to do a refret and fingerboard leveling/filling. Crazing on the top, dings on the body and head stock bashes are all this instrument's battle scars and why it has so much Mojo. I know this without even seeing it. :)

I had some divots the size of Crater Lake filled on my old SJ. They scoop a bit of sawdust from the worn area and mix it with a resin and then fill it in.

I would think the biggest issue is the low saddle height which is resulting in an improper break angle over the saddle. This can result in a loss of volume and punch. If you add this the heavier top bracing found in the guitars made in 1968, you do not want anything else going on that would rob the guitar of power and sound. If it were me, rather than sweating the cosmetics, I would put my hard earned scratch into taking care of whatever issue needs to be cured so the guitar can be set up properly.

I had a partial refret (1st 4 frets) done on my'69 J-50, and in helped a lot. The frets had scalloped under the strings, so it was hard to fret, esp with barre chords. The old frets were pretty skinny, and the new ones are normal size, so you can see the difference if you're looking at it, but it plays a LOT better...

Cool, I didn't know you could fill gouges and I didn't know you could do a partial refret. It's totally playable but if we're splitting hairs, the occasional C-chord with the gouge at fret 1, b-string doesn't fret well.

That's usually the position on the single fret that gets the most wear. Worn frets are more of an issue than the board divots for most people. Partial re-frets are a good solution for a guitar with major cowboy chord fret wear.

Archived