Gibson Brands Forums

Where does the Songwriter come from?

stevet

I have a Songwriter Deluxe EC (2006), and I really like it. I know about the storied history of the Gibson Acoustics, and the models we all know about (J-45s, J-200s, HB, etc.). But just where did the Songwriter come from? Is it a later incarnation of an older model, or something entirely new? And where does it fit in the lineup (is it bigger than a model xx, or just like a model y but with different bracing, or a shoulder profile like model aa, etc.)?

Steve

All I know is the body shape is based on the Mark series from the 70s.

BTW I played a mahogany Songwriter recently and I was impressed. Don't like the styling much but it had a nice sound.

I usually don't like to spout stuff I read on the net unless I know it to be true, but I'm gonna this time.

I would mention my memory is really all over the place lately, so maybe at one time I knew it to be true and am remembering different. Regardless, don't take it as fact.

From what I remember, the origonal series was an attempt at making a more "girl freindly" guitar, which was thought at the time to be a good thing to do. (others were into this game as well).

The girl freindly part was the narrower waist and certain contours which was intended to fit the female body better, particularly, the BOOBS. Apparently, it was noticed that females have a disadvantage that males don't with the way most traditional guitars fit.

Well, the guitar worked good enough, but the marketing didn't. At least, it was thought it would be better to market the guitar to suit anybody rather than as a gender specific guitar. Chicks didn't flock to it, and dudes were turned off by the thought of a chick guitar. The marketing to girls was a fail.

I see more dudes playing them, and I personally find the different shape does feel pretty darned good.

Anyway, there it is. Anyone remember or know if this is accurate?

I usually don't like to spout stuff I read on the net unless I know it to be true, but I'm gonna this time.

I would mention my memory is really all over the place lately, so maybe at one time I knew it to be true and am remembering different. Regardless, don't take it as fact.

From what I remember, the origonal series was an attempt at making a more "girl freindly" guitar, which was thought at the time to be a good thing to do. (others were into this game as well).

The girl freindly part was the narrower waist and certain contours which was intended to fit the female body better, particularly, the BOOBS. Apparently, it was noticed that females have a disadvantage that males don't with the way most traditional guitars fit.

Well, the guitar worked good enough, but the marketing didn't. At least, it was thought it would be better to market the guitar to suit anybody rather than as a gender specific guitar. Chicks didn't flock to it, and dudes were turned off by the thought of a chick guitar. The marketing to girls was a fail.

I see more dudes playing them, and I personally find the different shape does feel pretty darned good.

Anyway, there it is. Anyone remember or know if this is accurate?

Well, after a bit of research, you will be interested to find it is a common problem, and a patent has been lodged for a fix; possible to be called the 'Booby Trap'?

http://www.google.co...tents/US7169991

BluesKing777.

I always thought the Songwriter evolved out of the CL line.

You're exactly right, Z-man! The CL line evolved into what was the SongBird and then into the SongWriter. The SongBird, SongWriter and the CL have the same pickguards. The SongBird and CL have MOP Florets on the fretboard while the SongWriter has the MOP parallellogram markers. The CL and the SongBird have belly-up bridges, while the SongWriter has the moustache-style bridge found on the SJ-200's. The body size was referred to as "small dreadnaught". I have a 2001 SongBird Deluxe, which is sitka topped with rosewood back and sides. My "go-to" guitar! Nice bright sound, and can kill any Martin guitar in the bluegrass/folk/americana field!!! I love mine! They're really nice guitars. Those here with the SongWriters know what I'm talkin' about.

I traded my SongBird for the Songwriters Deluxe when they came along. The SongBird was great until you went up the neck where it lost volume, etc... many reviews are still around. It was/is a good guitar but the SWD fixed the issues Gibson felt needed to be changed.

Archived