Gibson Brands Forums

Lifting pick guard sj-200

aerohead

When I bought my sj-200 from an online dealer early in 2012 the pick guard was raised up away from the guitar. It was still in the proper position but lifting around the soundhole area maybe 1/4" or so away from the guitar. I pushed it back down and applied firm pressure and it seemed to stick nicely. Lately when I take the guitar out of the case I notice that it is once again lifting between the sound hole and bridge. Was wondering what to do to fix this? Don't really want to send the guitar back to have it repaired.

Thanks guys, Luke

Are you near a guitar tech? That's where I would take it. I'm sure it's just a matter of squeezing some adhesive under there to make it re-bond to the top. But I would take it to a tech and have them do it.

Don't squeeze adhessive under the PG! If you are the original owner contact Customer Service in Nashville and talk to them about your options 1 800 444 2766 option 4. They maybe able to direct you to someone in your area that can help.

All the best

Jeremy

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Don't squeeze adhessive under the PG! If you are the original owner contact Customer Service in Nashville and talk to them about your options 1 800 444 2766 option 4. They maybe able to direct you to someone in your area that can help.

All the best

Jeremy

Are you certain? -- I was thinking Elmer's glue would do the trick. [cool]

• 1 month later...

Hey there, any luck with sorting this?

I have a 2008 J-150 (now an SJ-200 Studio I believe) and the pickguard started to lift off after about the first two years. I've had it professionally re-bonded a couple of times but it keeps happening. I'm in Australia, and have been informed that I would need to ship the guitar to the Australian Gibson importers and they will look at it for me, at my expense.

Gibson wouldn't help me, even with some advice, as it was out of warranty, and the Australian importer won't call me back - so I thought I'd try you guys!

Cheers... Chris.

The pick guard on my previous owned new Gibson SJ-200 got loose and came off also. Seems the pick guards on a $3000 instrument now not only rub off in a short time, but fall off too. The pick guard on my $299 Epiphone is better adhered than the Gibson. Sold it. It had other issues too. Never again.

The pick guard on my previous owned new Gibson SJ-200 got loose and came off also. Seems the pick guards on a $3000 instrument now not only rub off in a short time, but fall off too. The pick guard on my $299 Epiphone is better adhered than the Gibson. Sold it. It had other issues too. Never again.

The downside of the better pickguard adhesion on your Epi is that it may make it more difficult to replace, remove, or re-position the pickguard, as a lot of people here do.

I love the guitar, and really don't mind if I can get a solution. There is no better sounding or feeling Jumbo acoustic guitar that I have played than a Gibson Jumbo, so I'm happy. And also, someone from Gibson saw my post, contacted me directly and is sending a replacement pickguard. That's great service.

1363739974[/url]' post='1348075']

I love the guitar, and really don't mind if I can get a solution. There is no better sounding or feeling Jumbo acoustic guitar that I have played than a Gibson Jumbo, so I'm happy. And also, someone from Gibson saw my post, contacted me directly and is sending a replacement pickguard. That's great service.

I too love my Jumbo and is also the best sounding feeling guitar I have ever played in my life and would still feel the same way about it even if the pickguard fell off tomorrow or came improperly placed covering the abalone rosette. Someday I might try the naphtha-dental floss method to remove and reglue it with the PG adhesive that stew-Mac sells.I also called Elderly in Lansing and the said they could do it in a few hours so either way I will get it reattached but for now I'm gonna try wearing it out!

• 7 years later...

Around 2007 or so Gibson changed the pickgaurd material for the J-200 after many complaints about the design wearing off. They came up with a rubbery material that imbedded the design deep in the material. So the pick guard is thicker and very protective of the design, but now it’s prone to warping. I just press the guard back down when I take it out - it’s a 2009 and the guard still sticks down when pressed, but eventually it pops back up. You can find replacements online made of more traditional material that won’t warp, but the won’t have the Gibson graphic design.

On 2/13/2013 at 3:05 PM, Jeremy Morton said:

All the best

Jeremy

Excellent!

19 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

There was a thread here maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago on this. Might have been a Hummingbird pg....   one Forum member with this issue detailed how he fixed it himself permanently.  

That was in my post Flubber, Hmm   of 9/1  about two pages back.   ALD323, laid out the procedure he used there, and I then followed it.  Just opened the case this morning on Quilt Hummingbird and guard is still down tight.  So, that's almost three weeks so far!   If you want to do it yourself with the original guard, the formula for success is there  in detail.  I thank ALD323 again.

Edited by Hall
spelling
  • Like 1