Gibson Brands Forums

One in the eye for GAS

ParlourMan

New J-35 on the way then :)

Always a possibility, Del, but wondering what it will give me that the 45 & 50 don't, what I would totally go for though is a Maple slope, or a maple Roy Smeck type deal. That could be a lovely addition.

Obviously any credibility you had left on the AGF is now well and truly gone without the Martin... [biggrin]

Haha, true, my goodwill probably just nose-dived for a few.

or maybe even time to look at a few Lowden's again.... we'll see.

Yea.. thought you may go that direction too..what with your recent visit to Glasgow Guitar centre..and being really impressed with the Lowdens.

I think you have a good Gibson herd for what you want ......still think you shud keep searching for the right Bird tho :)

From all i have learnt about guitars from this foum over the time I have been here... I may go for a boutique model on my next purchase... being in Ireland..a Lowden would..and maybe should ... be the natural direction

just there are so many nice modern Gibson's I want too :)

or maybe even time to look at a few Lowden's again.... we'll see.

I had a jam with this fella last week at my place and played for first time his Lowden. Quite an exquisite guitar, wonderful tone, but also the driest rosewood guitar Ive ever played. It really sounded more like a mahogany jumbo on steroids. Incredibly responsive and in particular great for 7th, 9th and other jazzy chords.

I have the Songwriter on sale and might also sell the 00-15 to my singer, which will open up funds for a banner LG-2 with a 1 3/4 neck. I really would like to add an old wood Gibson to balance out the OM Furch which is more Martinesque in tone, lovelly nevertheless.

Keeping an eye for the right one and might take a punt, and if I dont like it could sell it at a profit on the German market.

I feel a 40's LG-2 is a great compromise to have the dry, old wood tone that I heard in Australia without having to pay a ridiculous 10k or so that J-45/ SJ's command...

Enjoy the blonde again ...

That's the thing, I get a satisfactory Gibson tone from the models I have, each of them has a sound I like, I love the fact that the two main giggers, the 45 & 50, are lively, good quality guitars but ultimately easy to replace being standard production models.

I do tend to play the SJ-200 more at home, I play the Keb Mo regularly as well, the 45 & 50 less as they get ample time with my dodgy covers band, but outside of something quite different specs wise I'm not sure where's left to go for me, I'm not a serious collector, more having a few that I enjoy, so might make sense to go for something a bit different, but could be swayed by a maple slope if it was as aggressive as some samples I've heard, I'm definitely looking for something really aggro rather than sweet & nice.

I'm definitely trying to keep in mind that the last thing I need is more guitars that I can't / wouldn't gig laying about the house, diminishing storage space etc... so I'll only add something that's not too special to use it live and only if it's proper aggro rather than a sweet wee collection piece.

I think you have a good Gibson herd for what you want ......still think you shud keep searching for the right Bird tho :)

Yeah, I reckon realistically I have what I want from Gibson covered, anything else would need to be something a wee bit different specs wise to really grab me. As for the bird, in all honesty I think I've given up, Del, I like, sometimes even love what you boys are getting from your hummingbirds, but just never tried the one that would make me move proceedings to the cash desk.

It was always number one on my Gibson list, yet I've ended up with something else every time. I guess it's just not meant to be.

Archived