Gibson Brands Forums

LP Firebrand

truetone6

I have never seen that model before either. That's awesome. Looks like its got nice aged character so you can play the hell out of it without worry. [thumbup]

For that price I think you scored big time.... yes, I'm jealous. There, I said it. [biggrin]

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

The Firebrands were a response to high quality Japanese guitars with lower prices that began to enter the country in the ‘70’s.  Everything cosmetic was done away with - no binding,  toggle switch moved near the knobs to eliminate extra routing,  unlayered top, the “brand” on the peg head was easier than a decal or inlay.

The selling point was that you got the guts of a higher end Les Paul.  The pickups are t-tops and they’re great, ebony fretboard, the Gibson equivalent of Grovers, set neck (as opposed to bolt-on.  This is one of the great cheap guitars - equal to many guitars costing twice as much.  I think they were called LP because Les Paul didn’t want to endorse. 

• Haha 1