Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DuaLeaD

Les Pauls and Tremolos/"Whammies"

So I am definitely in the market for my second epic new relic from the Gibson Custom Shop Historic Collection!! I want the 1960 Reissue in "Washed Cherry" (or some kind of fiery sunburst with maximum amount of color variety between red and bright yellow), but I would be lying if I weren't tempted by the mystique and rarity of the Collector's Choice #3 1960 "The Babe". The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the Bigsby. Ironically, it's what drew me to the guitar in the first place, seeing how much Neil Schon and Neil Young love their trems. Bigsby's are my preferred tremolo aesthetically AND functionally (Sorry, a Floyd Rose looks cheap/tacky and the Maestro is just barbaric on my 1965 Firebird VII Reissue). The Jimmy Page Signature Custom is absolutely godly as well - The QUEEN of the "Black Beauty"s. My only issue with it is TUNING. Les Pauls are enough of a ***** to keep in tune, I get it. But are they even worse with Bigsby's on them?

So am I making a big deal out of nothing as far as tuning issues or is it warranted?

Those familiar with Bigsby systems on Les Pauls, how many songs can you expect your tuning to hold up for before you start cringing the audience with your dissonance?

Note: I am NOT planning on doing Eddie Van Halen dive-bombing on this pretty gem - That's what my Jackson Rhoads RR24 V is for \m/ \m/

• Upvote 1

man, trem systems are such a headache. i mean if i had a tech, i wouldn't care. but if i'm the one dealing with the tuning issues and string changes, forget it. it ain't worth my time....

Guest Farnsbarns

If you think a l.p. is a ***** to tune you might wanna steer clear. However, most people find the l.p. to have incredibly stable tuning and those people can generally work with a trem. The bigsby is meant to be one of the trickiest trems for tuning.

... Floyd Rose looks cheap/tacky and the Maestro is just barbaric ....

This post reads like it's coming from someone who shouldn't be using trems of any kind.

This post reads like it's coming from someone who shouldn't be using trems of any kind.

My Floyd looks great on my Jackson Rhoads V, but I think they look cheap on an elegant instrument like a Les Paul. The Maestro on my Firebird makes me have to retune every 2 or 3 songs and I put very little pressure on it. I've tried graphite which seems to help a little bit. I was wondering how Bigsbys were on Les Pauls and if anyone had any experience with them. I really want to tryout Collector's Choice #3 "The Babe" but it's not like I can just walk into Guitar Center and try one. Our local GC is absolute ****...They have 9 Trad Pros and a few Studios to play - That's it for Les Paul selection.

• Upvote 2

A Bigsby stays in tune better the heavier strings you put on. 9s - go out fast. 10s - ok but mild trem use only or will affect tuning. 11s - much better, and 12s - very stable but stiff.

A Bigsby stays in tune better the heavier strings you put on. 9s - go out fast. 10s - ok but mild trem use only or will affect tuning. 11s - much better, and 12s - very stable but stiff.

Would you say the tuning is more stable than a Maestro?

• Upvote 1