Gibson Brands Forums

Trance Amulet M?

telemaster03

From a Gryphon Stringed Instruments e-mail, a couple blurbs about new pickups from NAMM:

http://gryphonstrings.com/pages/eGazette/article.php?ID=n10rlppp

Is this the first time the Trance mono system doesn't require a piece of outboard gear? This looks like a lot to stuff inside a guitar. That preamp with the input jack looks huge to me. Is this the aftermarket version of the True Voice?

Those who use the mono system, what is your opinion of it? Sorry if this has already been discussed ad nauseum.

I am a hearty proponent of the Trance Amulet systems, both the stereo and the mono. [thumbup] The mono system preamp that is internal to the guitar is not weight noticable at all. Gibson uses this system in their "True Voice" J45, and that is their marketing term. I had both systems installed after I purchased the guitars - one at Woodsong Lutherie in Boulder Colorado, and one at Music Villa in Bozeman, Montanna - and though this install was new to both of them, they each did a great job, and these systems sound spectacular. =D> The internal preamp is quite small, and like I said, is not at all noticed. I am going to have the mono installed in my CSN Martin. Here's a picture of it inside the SJ:

TranceInternalPre-AmpEndPinInstalled.jpg

Thanks for the replies. The preamp doesn't look nearly as bulky placed inside the guitar. I may have to look into this for my SJ, the Element pickup is OK but doesn't really represent the true sound of the guitar.

Dan, after I posted this I came across the demo clip you posted of your JB with the Trance installed, nice playing and tone!

I played a J-45 Purevoice through a Fishman amp today at Russo's in Asbury Park. The guitar sounded great unplugged, and I did find the plugged-in tone to be top notch. Certainly an improvement over my Element.

Oh, the Purevoice has the Amulet mono - I think. Russo's has a bunch of the kits in. They are about $410 installed with tax included.

I think you'll like it. Is your AJ Rosewood? If so, I'd value your opinion folowing the install. Ah heck, if not I'd still be looking forward to your thoughts.

My AJ is rosewood. Russo is currently installing one in another rosewood AJ that belongs to one of the guys that works there. I figured I'd let them practice on that one. [thumbup]

It's about a 2.5 hour drive for me to get there, so I'm trying to set it up on a day they can do it while I hang out in beautiful downtown Asbury Park.

Will definitely report on the results.

Rich

Does the pure voice have the vol. and tone wheel ?

I've been talking to a Gibson 5 star that will order a AJ rosewood with the pure voice direct from Bozeman.

I've also talked to Trance about a after market instal... Decisions....

Getting close to pulling the trigger.

Thanks Sal I couldn't remember if there was 1 or 2 wheels in the sound hole in the pure voice I played loved the tone but I got a J45 I love so...Anyway I figure if its factory installed its covered by Gibson I'l let ya all know how it goes stll deciding on which model SJ or AJ ....

[crying]

• 5 years later...

Archived