Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking of refinishing my "Firebrand"

MWROBBIN

So as I understand it, the Gibson SG "Firebrand" was marketed as a "bargain" Gibson. I bought my "The SG", second-hand back in about 1984 and it was my first Gibson. It's been through a lot of good and rough times. It's been smashed, glued back together and it even has teethmarks...don't ask. It's still a great, beefy sounding guitar, frets are still in good shape and I will never part with it. I am, however thinking about refinishing it...smoothing out the dings and the reassembly seams (and bitemarks).

Some folks would (understandably) consider this a horrible idea...if the guitar were of obvious high value. But as a 1979 Firebrand "The SG", (~$500 brand new), I don't believe the guitar has appreciated in value (though I may be mistaken) and its earned "mojo" shouldn't be effected by a beautiful, new pelham blue finish. What IS interesting about this guitar is that the logo on the headstock is a golden decal, rather than the "branded" logo that I see on Firebrands online, though the truss-rod cover does say The "SG". Another unique feature is the "no-name" tremolo system that came with the guitar (not a very good one at that).

Does anyone have any thoughts, opinions or suggestions on this notion of mine? Thanks in advance!

021713031939.png

Go for it. Here are a couple I did. The first one is a 1964 guild jetstar s-50. It had a broken headstock and pickguard and someone had painted it orange metal flake. I fixed the headstock and pickguard then refinished it with a can of light blue from wal mart believe it or not and added Kluson deluxe vintage tuners to it. It turn out looking like a factory job. When I posted it on craigslist for sale I had Gruhns guitars calling me asking if it was an original finish!!! I only regret not taking pics of it before I started. The second one is a 1991 gibson explorer someone had put a nasty runny black paint job on over heritage cherry. I stripped it then put on gunstock wood staid, made a new pick guard and painted it off white and finished it out by hand rubbing tung oil and buffing it out. It looked like a custom factory job. I sold it to buy my SG standard. Keep us posted and take before and after pics when you do yours!!! Tim

guild_zps1426ea2d.jpg

guild006_zpsab3f44a0.jpg

gibson_zps3b13e2ad.jpg

gibson5_zps21057453.jpg

gibson3_zps8a245288.jpg

gibson2_zpsa828af78.jpg

Thanks to both of you, Jay and BigTim. I appreciate the encouragement and affirmation. You've done some very nice work there, Tim. Love that "surf" guitar! I'll be sure to take some good "before" shots, prior to starting the project. I'm in no particular hurry and fortunate enough to have a few other guitars while the SG is out of commission. I'm also planning on replacing the tremolo, install some Grovers and (possibly) an additional Burstbucker in the middle...who knows. This will be fun. Thanks again!

1361092916[/url]' post='1329585']

So as I understand it, the Gibson SG "Firebrand" was marketed as a "bargain" Gibson. I bought my "The SG", second-hand back in about 1984 and it was my first Gibson. It's been through a lot of good and rough times. It's been smashed, glued back together and it even has teethmarks...don't ask. It's still a great, beefy sounding guitar, frets are still in good shape and I will never part with it. I am, however thinking about refinishing it...smoothing out the dings and the reassembly seams (and bitemarks).

Some folks would (understandably) consider this a horrible idea...if the guitar were of obvious high value. But as a 1979 Firebrand "The SG", (~$500 brand new), I don't believe the guitar has appreciated in value (though I may be mistaken) and its earned "mojo" shouldn't be effected by a beautiful, new pelham blue finish. What IS interesting about this guitar is that the logo on the headstock is a golden decal, rather than the "branded" logo that I see on Firebrands online, though the truss-rod cover does say The "SG". Another unique feature is the "no-name" tremolo system that came with the guitar (not a very good one at that).

Does anyone have any thoughts, opinions or suggestions on this notion of mine? Thanks in advance!

021713031939.png

Are you sure that this is an original Firebrand? I believe the model you're talking about might have come just after the firebrands. I believe they made a Les Paul version as well called "The Paul." They had a gold Gibson decal and not the firebrand logo. They were also in the cheaper range but might've been a bit more expensive than the firebrands. Does this sound familiar to anybody else?

Are you sure that this is an original Firebrand? I believe the model you're talking about might have come just after the firebrands. I believe they made a Les Paul version as well called "The Paul." They had a gold Gibson decal and not the firebrand logo. They were also in the cheaper range but might've been a bit more expensive than the firebrands. Does this sound familiar to anybody else?

You know, you may be right about this. The guitar's vitals are in the widget of my original post...it seems the Firebrands came out in the early eighties (???), but this "The SG" was made in Nashville in June of '79. It's clearly worth the time spent in researching further, but as mentioned...it's nowhere close to being in good, let alone mint condition. It DOES sound and play well though!

IMG-20130217-00184_zps96c97c24.jpg

IMG-20130217-00169_zpsbee4c766.jpg

IMG-20130217-00170_zps7de83c26.jpg

IMG-20130217-00173_zpsd4ff3527.jpg

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y434/Michael_Robbins/My%20Gibson%20SG%20project/IMG-20130217-00173_zpsd4ff3527.jpg

Full Album:

http://s1274.beta.photobucket.com/user/Michael_Robbins/library/My%20Gibson%20SG%20project

Archived