Gibson Brands Forums

How's Yer Nitro?

Murph

My J-45 will turn 10 this August. Any of you who have seen my videos know I'm not gentle on a guitar. [scared]

While this is a crappy picture, the nitro still has a lot of gloss to it. You know how it seems to dull over the decades?

I just wondered how everybody elses modern era finishes are holding up.

002_zpsbadeff61.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It won't go dull if you clean and polish it regularly.

I just got my 1956 Epiphone back from the repair guy. The finish on this thing was dull as it gets. The repair guy though cleaned, polished and buffed the guitar before he returned it. That old finish came back alive. I had never seen it shine before. I barely recognized it - it looked like somebody else's guitar.

Murph... I like your furnishings and amore for the old. Telephone chair? Rotary phone? Console Radio? How do you get internet? Gerbels? PS the milk man left the bottles on the front door next to your copy of the Saturday Evening Post :)

Like your style...

Bwahaha.

The internet is finally DSL here, but the computer does have a 5U4G, two 12AX7's, and a pair of 6L6's and takes a few minutes to warm up....

What are you guys using to polish your guitars? From what I understand a lot of the cleaners are not good to use on those types of finishes. I must confess for spot cleaning I've been doing the warm breath and rag trick [rolleyes]

I've NEVER polished this one, as I figured it was actually rubbing the finish OFF.

Kind of like cars. I lived next to a guy in Louisiana that literally washed the paint off his car. He washed it every day or two in the yard. He was weird.....

My 2006 J-50 shows little signs of finish aging although the top itself is turning to a nice honey color. I don't really know if that is the wood or the finish or some combination of both. My newly acquired 1997 Early J-45 has lots of finish crazing, mostly over the lower bouts and radiating up through the bridge. The finish is so thin that if I catch the light just right the grain in the spruce is readily apparent and I can feel it when I run a finger perpendicular to the grain. One of the guys I play with regularly has a seven or eight year old Santa Cruz Vintage Jumbo and I don't think he has ever wiped it off. So every cigarette he ever smoked, every splash of Budweiser and all the drool that ever hit the guitar is still there. The thing looks awesome and sounds awesome.

Bwahaha.

The internet is finally DSL here, but the computer does have a 5U4G, two 12AX7's, and a pair of 6L6's and takes a few minutes to warm up....

Ahaaaa!

You have the very same system as I have!

I installed 2 extra 12AX7s for extra gain, but I have to wear this special hat (which gets a bit uncomfortable and a little hot:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f3/Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

BluesKing777.

Hi, I have been using gibson luthiers choice on my SWD and it seems to be ok, smells nice too...might give virtuoso a try when it's gone though. How often do you guys clean your fretboard?

Kevin

I use a damp cloth... Tried the lemon oil thing but I think that is the guitar stores' version of a Hallmark card.

Martin Custom Shop 2006..just looking at the top scratches it.

Supposedly easy to polish out these light marks

The H & D DS...I was told by shoppe that the finish is very scratch proof so I declined install of pickguard which came with it..and this has proved true..unnoticeable marking in 8 months.

Plus sound is as good as a Pre War legend.

My 2006 J-45 1964 CS is holding up fine. Still looks new. I use Gibson polish (the pump bottle version) after gigs with it.

All of my other Gibsons and Epiphones (including my 1936 Epiphone) are holding up fine, too. Using Gibson pump bottle polish (or sometimes instead Martin polish) on a regular basis after gigs and then maybe once every five years or so some Fender/McGuires polish.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived