Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone using Humidipaks?

Hall

I did when they first appeared, but they are mighty expensive if one has a bunch of instruments. So I slacked off some time back. Doing some early spring shaping up here and I've been trying to decide whether they are actually worth getting re-involved with long term. So, just wondering what the prevailing present day opinion on them might be. Thanks.

Steve

If you have lots of instruments, own your own place, and don't plan on moving anytime soon I would recommend a whole house humidifier. I think having mine installed was something like $400 but now it's 45% humidity in my house all winter and I can keep my guitars out and ready to play without having to worry about it. Just something to think about.

I use the humidipaks now in 3 of my guitars. Figure its pretty good insurance here in the semi-arid west. They give and take moisture, so I do still try to keep a damp sponge soap box in the case now. Tried it on one guitar alnoe, and they lasted 4 months. If I can fool them into 2 or 3 extra months,I figure it will cost me $72 a year to keep $11,000 of guitars properly humidified.

Thanks, Dave and Dan. I was wondering whether the Humidipaks had been a quick fad or had come to stay. Its a "Question of Balance" for several guitars that remain in their case for long periods now days. I never could sell a guitar!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I use humidipaks. I just changed the paks in 3 of my guitars. The old paks lasted from Nov 2012 to March 1st 2013 when I changed them. The new humidipaks should last until Oct or Nov of this year. They work great. guitar case is always at 45% or 46%. I probably don't need to use the humidipaks in the summer because the AC is running but I use the Humidipaks anyway. It will costs me $128.00 per year to Humidify all of my acoustic guitars with Humidipaks twice a year, When I get my 4th acoustic guitar later this week. Thats $16.00 x 8 = $128.00.

Archived