Gibson Brands Forums

defective nut

lofus123

I think the "can you post pictures" is a good idea. There are batches of folks here who can help with just about any problem, and stuff like this tends to bring more agreement than questions on "should I change pickups." <grin>

Try to get a pix up and in the meantime, play away if you don't perceive a problem at this point.

m

i would go to a tech. have a brand new one made from bone, or tusq. have it set up as well.

might want to replace the imput switch as i've had 2 epis and they always break first as well. maybe

have him install strap locks while yr at it? new nut guitar will sound great.

Do you guys hear yourselves. This guys a beginner he just bought a brand new

Guitar which he probable payed good money for and your telling him

To go get this fixed ,replace this. Might as well buy that too.

Why should he have to do anything on a new guitar???

It should be in perfect working order what are we paying for insufficient goods.

When all these things happen to beginners then they loose interest and

Get frustrated and give up...... Not good..... Is this what we've come to expect in life!!!!!!

Think about this really!!!!!!

Contact the seller and inform them of the problem. Ask them to replace it. The nut should extent to the entire width of the neck evenly on both sides. I am hoping you did not order a blemished guitar. Does it say used on the back of the headstock?

There's a good possibility that the nut is too long on the high string (low) side of the neck. It's not unusual for the the nut to become misaligned if the strings are put on while the glue isn't quite set. I think this is more likely than the nut actually being too short - I'm sure the nut cutting process is automated so the likelyhood of one being too short is pretty slim. This would also cause string alignment issues and perhaps even weak output on some strings (most noticable on the high strings).

It's an easy fix - pop the nut off re-align and re-glue it with a little white glue.

Yeah, not good advice. The guitar should at least be in proper working order when purchased. Epiphone's quality is very very poor from what I'm seeing.

Also a nut doesn't make much difference in the sound of a guitar, except on open strings. Overall, it's hardly noticeable.

That is not true Luke. The nut should make good contact with the end of the fretboard. That would help the vibration of the strings transfer to the neck, resulting in better tone and sustain.

As I understand this thread, the nut is not making contact with the fretboard, having a small gap in between the two.

This is a very small thing for a tech to repair. The store where lofus originally bought the guitar should be able to fix that easily, at no cost to the buyer.

If the guitar was purchased online, he may have to ship it back to have it repaired. This should be done at no cost to him also.

Certainly an inconvenience, but not the worst case.

This is one of the reasons I do not buy online. I have to get my hands on a guitar before I buy. That's just me though; certainly not a knock on anyone. [biggrin]

As I understand this thread, the nut is not making contact with the fretboard, having a small gap in between the two.

Now I'm really confused. I was originally thinking as dporto describes, like the nut is simply slid towards the treble side in the slot. But it's hard to believe the guitar would play ok as the OP says. What you describe seems to make more sense, though intonation would be way off on lower frets. A picture sure would help.

Now I'm really confused. I was originally thinking as dporto describes, like the nut is simply slid towards the treble side in the slot. But it's hard to believe the guitar would play ok as the OP says. What you describe seems to make more sense, though intonation would be way off on lower frets. A picture sure would help.

Yeah, the OP was not too clear on what the problem is exactly. I'm guessing too. [confused]

Archived