Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
billzfan88

1965 es335 and price???

i have gotten this beautiful Gibson guitar after my grandfather has passed away.... Ive been amazed by this guitar for the minute i saw it years ago.... my question is.. is it a 1965 es 335 and if it is how much is it value??? i dont have any plans of selling it at the moment... i would just like to know what i have and how much its worth..... the only problem i have is that im not left handed so i can never play it :( ... maybe willing to sell it with the right offer... but i would greatly appreciate the help guys thanks!!!!

download1_zpsc44b403e.jpg

download2_zpsee3cfb29.jpg

download_zps5df5e8c1.jpg

Clearer bigger pictures needed including of serial number, back and front of guitar and headstock, label - tailpiece looks odd but can't really tell from these pics.

The handwriting on the label is a scripted ES335 ,not 65335.

I believe this is a 1966 ES-355. The high position of the headstock inlay, in combination with the trapeze tail, narrows it down to 1965 or 1966. Then I checked the serial number HERE, which confirms 1966.

Beautiful guitar; I bet it's a pleasure to play.

I don't know how lefty guitars price compare to rightys, but a righty '66 like this I would have expected to go for probably $5000-6000 serial years ago when the economy was in full swing. Now, the prices have come down somewhat. Anyway, it's not worth a house, and it's not $100...somewhere in between. :)

the sad thing is i cant play it.... im right handed... ive tried and it just feels to weird..... i live in virginia beach va.... does anybody know of a good place i could sell this guitar??? online or shop around here??? or anybody interested on here??? its a beautiful guitar and me and my gpa were very close but i dont want this beautiful guitar to just sit in thr closet like it has for 40 plus years now... i would really like somebody to display it or enjoy it like it should be... sooo if anybody can help me out please let me know

the sad thing is i cant play it.... im right handed... ive tried and it just feels to weird..... i live in virginia beach va.... does anybody know of a good place i could sell this guitar??? online or shop around here??? or anybody interested on here??? its a beautiful guitar and me and my gpa were very close but i dont want this beautiful guitar to just sit in thr closet like it has for 40 plus years now... i would really like somebody to display it or enjoy it like it should be... sooo if anybody can help me out please let me know

That's too bad. A few ES guitars have been converted between righty and lefty, but I don't know if I would do that. If it were mine, I would attempt to sell it with an asking price like that of a righty '66 ES-335...starting somewhere in the $4-6K range (try to find some completed eBay auctions to at least get a sample). You might also try Craigslist. That's how I sold my '67 ES-335 last year - for a bit under $4K. I was unemployed at the time, so I was OK with that price.

Because there are a lot fewer leftie models made I would say that it is rarer and you can probably get more for it than a right handed one. There aren't as many left handed players out there, but there is certainly at least one who would love to have a nice 66 ES335. The poor lefties are used to paying a bit more for the same thing so don't sell yourself short. Then with the proceeds you can get yourself a nice right handed model to play and remember your grandfather by.

billzfan, are you a guitarist? Do you own any right-handed guitars? Even if you're not, it sounds like you have an interest in playing. I think the previous posts have given you very good advice. If you're interested in having a nice right-handed guitar to play (and remember your grandfather by), you have plenty of options. One other idea which wasn't mentioned... you could trade this guitar to a dealer, and receive something very nice in return (though it would have to be something slightly less valuable) without having to go through the process of selling your 335. Just a thought. It would be easier, plus as Twang Gang mentions, there are fewer left-handed players out there. Selling a lefty guitar would require more time, effort and patience, I would think.

I tried to seek some info online about vintage lefty 335's. It appears that they are indeed pretty rare, and I would expect that their value would be slightly higher than a comparable right-handed example.

I found this site, which is a database devoted to lefty guitars: http://www.lefty-guitars.de/navigation.html

Go to the menu on the left, select "G brands", then "Gibson (vintage)" to see a list of lefty 335's. There are not many listed from the 1960's.

I found this site, which is a database devoted to lefty guitars: http://www.lefty-guitars.de/navigation.html

I spoke to Sven, owner of the above site, and he offered this advice:

If you like to give the thread starter a little help, he´ll find the lefty guitar player and collector scene in this forum:

http://www.leftyfrets.net

Even Elliot Easton (of "The Cars") is a forum member and one of the guitarists who is always looking for sweet lefty guitars.

Another advice would be to contact Alex Pavchinski - alex57@comcast.net -: he is a very respectable buyer, seller and collector of vintage lefty guitars…

I think that this guitar will be worth somewhere between 6 and 9K US$…

That's an excellent idea to trade similar value and vintage guitars! ...keep grandpa's memory alive with yah and help a lefty! [thumbup]