Gibson Brands Forums

OK, need some serious advice here

EuroAussie

So I advertised the Songwriter on several sites including a trusted site called expats.cz which is the most popular portal for expats and international community living in CZ.

I received PM from a guy called Carlos Andre, stating he wants to buy the SWD and want my paypal address so he can transfer the funds.

I asked him where the guitar would be delivered and he gave me an address in Nigeria, which immediately set off the warning bells ringing.

He gave me the following address:

Name: Lanre Adeyemi

Address: N0 42 Ake Road,

City: Abeokuta

State: Ogun State

Zip-Code: 234039

So, the question I have is this a possible scam ?

Although he is the one that will be sending money to my paypal account, hence I imagine it should be fine, usually these scams work the other way round where you have to send them the money. Or can these cheeky lads make it appear in Paypal account that the money has arrived, but in reality it hasnt.

Should I be paranoid here .... I was thinking that I would ask him for a direct debit to my account, but that means i will be revealing my banking details.

Your thoughts lads ?

Much appreciated.

EA

Yeah..

love it or hate it..FleaBay is unfortunately sometimes the only way to sell .. paypal offer no protection unless shipped to a verified paypal address

in ireland we have a site called adverts.ie..which is very good for music stuff..( cheers BBG for that heads up )

wonder if there is something similar for Europe...Gumtree maybe

I hate having to pay the 10% fee's on Ebay... but it will sell there no doubt

and yes..obvious scam

My main vehicle is a respected musical instrument buy / trade online site here in CZ. I already had a couple serious enquiries but at the time my lead guitarist was thinking of buying the SWD so i passed on it. Theres not rush, Im sure ill sell it through that site sooner or later.

Good to know about the scams though. There must be some fools out there as these lads do a pretty crappy job with their approach. First he has an email called Carlo something, then he has a different name, then he offers to pay an extra 150 euro for freight, doesnt need any extra pics ..... basically screams out Im a cheeky scammer !

So, the question I have is this a possible scam ?

Although he is the one that will be sending money to my paypal account, hence I imagine it should be fine, usually these scams work the other way round where you have to send them the money. Or can these cheeky lads make it appear in Paypal account that the money has arrived, but in reality it hasnt.

In one way or another you'll never receive any real money and you'll likely be sending him/her money back from your real money from out of his bounced funds and be out. Plus, he'll somehoe along the chain may get your deposit account info and you'll end up being out even more. In other words if you initally reply by not seeing its a scam, you'll be further scammed until you won't know what hit you until you realize it. I'm sure one of the internet sights explains how the con works although there are a number of variations on it.

I was actually thinking of playing with him a little bit and keeping him hangin on wiht hope .... only to dash it at the end. Was thinking about asking him about his favourite chords, nut widths and his favourite Gibson period .... would love to hear the reponse ... [rolleyes]

I was actually thinking of playing with him a little bit and keeping him hangin on wiht hope .... only to dash it at the end. Was thinking about asking him about his favourite chords, nut widths and his favourite Gibson period .... would love to hear the reponse ... [rolleyes]

Why not email him saying you agree and as an act of good faith you're sending him your pet spider, attaching a jpeg of a hand-drawn spider to the mail. Then write back saying you've gone cold on the deal and would like your spider returned. Then just keep mailing ridiculous mails about the spider being a point of principal...

a ) they might re-send the jpeg (this has worked before) and you get a laugh by saying it's missing a leg etc....

b ) annoy the bugger a bit.

google that story, david thorpe it was, absolutely hilarious.

Why not email him saying you agree and as an act of good faith you're sending him your pet spider, attaching a jpeg of a hand-drawn spider to the mail. Then write back saying you've gone cold on the deal and would like your spider returned. Then just keep mailing ridiculous mails about the spider being a point of principal...

a ) they might re-send the jpeg (this has worked before) and you get a laugh by saying it's missing a leg etc....

b ) annoy the bugger a bit.

google that story, david thorpe it was, absolutely hilarious.

I just read it, good one, but I liked his exchange with the manager of the fintess centre even better.

I was wondering if i should ask my Nigerian friends if they also throw in mail order brides as part of the deal ... ?

This can be a good time. I love to string them along for awhile. I can just imagine their faces at the other end all happy because they found someone stupid enough to fall for it. The ones who claim they will send a truck to pickup the item are especially fun. I tell them in the end that all transactions and delivery trucks will be supervised by 5 drunk rednecks with shotguns and ask if they are ok with that. I've never gotten a reply back :lol:

Long time ago my girlfriend received an email from someone interested in her artwork (not uncommon, she's a respected artist) who was supposedly in Maida Vale, UK. They sent her a Wells Fargo money order and, of course, wanted "cash back" because...???... doesn't everyone go to Wells Fargo and get a money order for WAY too much money in hopes that a stranger would send them money back?

Anyhow, we knew it was a scam, but we were curious, so we contacted Wells Fargo and asked what the deal was and they came back immediately and said FAKE, FAKE, FAKE. The numbers used weren't any kind of numbers WF uses... you'd think someone going through all this trouble of making up a replica of a WF m.o. would get the number part right.

You did the right thing.... I had some crook trying to give me WAAAY more money than I was asking for a 35MM camera I was selling on Craig's List. He only needed my Pay Pal # to deposit it. Yea right!! He tried again when I was selling my Sierra pedal steel. Living proof that not all horse's a**es are on horses.

Incredible, isn't it?

I have fleeced a couple of times - once was when I advertised some car parts and a couple of shifties turned up to inspect and next morning the parts had been nicked.....and another few times by a real life guitar shop! So just because they have a bricks and mortar shop and all looks proper, well......

It's life, I suppose. Some people work really hard at making a full time job of fleecing people.

BluesKing777.

Please forget it. This comes from 23 years in the American foreign service. Even if everything is on the up and up, the guitar would NEVER make it through customs to the buyer. Indeed, any buyer would perfectly well know this. Certain proof that the offer is merely a scam.

I had one last week via Craigs List. I was selling a '40's Martin Uke for $1000. Got a text from California stating he wanted to buy it and would pay shipping. I checked with PayPal and you can send them an invoice so you do not need to give out any personal information. Once I asked him for his email, phone number and home address the dance started. He wanted to deposit $1875 into my account (again wanted my account info) and I was to pay a moving company $875 for some other stuff he was moving. I cut it off at that point. I did sell the uke face to face this week.

Archived