Gibson Brands Forums

Hey Hype! Bird sound, Guitar Center&Gibson

Hall

Hype, I have a Custom flame maple Bird. It has a different projection than the standard hog body for certain, but it still is a mellow sounding guitar just right for a singer or a nice calm picker. Wish I was better at either or both! You might find the maple tones more interesting if you happen to get near one.

Owning up: I did purchase it from the Guitar Center in Cincinnati on the day it came in back in 2007. I just "happened" to be there (thanks to an insider pal) and I bit! For those wondering in a previous post if the Guitar Centers get Gibson rejects, I don't think so. They just rip when and if they can. But, just as Sweetwater and all the big ones, they do line up special runs. I thought about that after the post questioning such and opened up the case on the only guitar I ever bought form a G. Center. The certificate is still in the case stating all the particulars of the run and features out of the Custom shop for the Guitar Centers. I'm playing it today for the first time in more than a year. Very nice, and I did not get beat on the case as a seperate purchase. Whew!

Steve

Thanks Steve....Boy you must be winded from that post....

I've heard from other users here that the Customs and or True Vintage is the way to go....

I'm from Canada Steve, so never been to a Guitar Centre, we don't have that chain here, our equivalent would be 'Long & McQuade'....But I've been to the smaller vintage guitar stores too....I know they're good Hummingbird Standards out there, I've heard them from others who own them....I ain't giving up....I'm going to find one....

Thanks to BlindBoyGrunt.

The quest for a great guitar is sometimes hard to find. They're all unique, and from a distance the same models look the same, but they sure as hell don't feel nor sound the same. Never settle for second best, if you're dropping any amount of money on a guitar, it better sound and look great at the same time! And if they don't keep on playing until you find one....It took me a few months.

Sorry if I sound preachy, I feel like I've accomplished a rough milestone....

Hummingbird,mellow and calm are words I would never have figured would be found together in a sentence. This is the guitar John Hiatt once called the greatest rock and roll acoustic ever made. I always thought of them as the love child of a J-45 and Martin D-28.

Hey Steve,

Finally found a Hummingbird I love the sound to! It's a 2011 Hummingbird Standard. I got it at Long & McQuade....I'll be posting pics soon!

Take care....And Thanx!

Good for you, Hype. Just now caught your word here. I hope you have a good one and that you can post pictures soon. In the meantime enjoy yourself!

Steve

Hummingbird,mellow and calm are words I would never have figured would be found together in a sentence. This is the guitar John Hiatt once called the greatest rock and roll acoustic ever made. I always thought of them as the love child of a J-45 and Martin D-28.

WOWSERS!! Zom - that is the absolute best description I've ever heard on the H'bird! Thank You.

(Now I'm truly inspired. Think I'll spend the better part of the day on the shaded back porch with some iced tea and mine. If my director doesn't have a gig lined up for me. Paint, lawn or shopping related.)

Archived