Gibson Brands Forums

It's the End of the World as we know it!

Aster1

Ya know, If the CEO of the worlds largest company was working hard to scare his stockholders, and at the same time misleading them greatly on potential concequenses, the board of directors would fire him.

My question would be to the stockholders would be this:

Do you really what this person as the CEO of our company? If yes, then "WHY" do you still want them? [confused]

Aster

I'd be fine if ALL of the business officers w/ the CEO & all of the Board of directors were removed from the business. Get new people that really know how to run the business in and are true LEADERS not rabble rousers.

Aster

For us in the U.S. this Friday will mark The End of the World as we (or THEY) know it!

And I do feel FINE. Not Skeert a bit.

Aster

Excuse my complete bewilderment in this matter but to what apocalyptic event are you referring?

[huh]

P.

Excuse my complete bewilderment in this matter but to what apocalyptic event are you referring?

[huh]

P.

The Sequester. It's been all over the news. [biggrin] That's the part we've been poking at. You know, gloom & doom, lies. No more guitars, food, from the sounds of it life will end.

Hey Blues, maybe "the business" is a not for profit that runs efficiently and provides only the services it was chartered to do. Not finding new services again & again. Provide only for your customers & keep their services top notch. Doesn't have to expand.

I'm a CEO & have run my business (max of 30 employees so small I know) but have also run it well for 29 yrs. I also have worked the over side of the street (as an employee) for 10 yrs too. I do take it very seriously that I'm responsible for the well being of my people/staff and have not had to lay off even one in all these years. Also I've made payroll in excess of $1M for several years and never missed a payday for them.

Not that I think about it, I ran a damn good lemonade stand as a kid too. [biggrin] Just say'n.

Aster

Aster

The Sequester. It's been all over the news. [biggrin] That's the part we've been poking at. You know, gloom & doom, lies. No more guitars, food, from the sounds of it life will end.

Hey Blues, maybe "the business" is a not for profit that runs efficiently and provides only the services it was chartered to do. Not finding new services again & again. Provide only for your customers & keep their services top notch. Doesn't have to expand.

I'm a CEO & have run my business (max of 30 employees so small I know) but have also run it well for 29 yrs. I also have worked the over side of the street (as an employee) for 10 yrs too. I do take it very seriously that I'm responsible for the well being of my people/staff and have not had to lay off even one in all these years. Also I've made payroll in excess of $1M for several years and never missed a payday for them.

Not that I think about it, I ran a damn good lemonade stand as a kid too. [biggrin] Just say'n.

Aster

Aster

I hear ya. I'm in the same place as you business wise. Almost as long and almost the same size. But you'll need to go cry on somebody else's shoulder. I never whined about paying my taxes and I'm not about to start. Your taxes are your obligation to society. An obligation that you've already incurred in accordance with the rules that were in place at the time when you made the profit. I always felt it was a little unseemly as a business owner to complain about taxes I pay.

I never complained about the rules when I played sports and I learned not to do that in real life too.

I hear ya. I'm in the same place as you business wise. Almost as long and almost the same size. But you'll need to go cry on somebody else's shoulder. I never whined about paying my taxes and I'm not about to start. Your taxes are your obligation to society. An obligation that you've already incurred in accordance with the rules that were in place at the time when you made the profit. I always felt it was a little unseemly as a business owner to complain about taxes I pay.

I never complained about the rules when I played sports and I learned not to do that in real life too.

You may misunderstand my meaning. I'm not complaining about paying taxes. I realize that some are necessary. It's the waste & over spending that I would take issue with. A customer of yours or mine, if we waste $$ with business or overspend, has a CHOICE whether or not to purchase my product or services. They're not forced (thank goodness) to purchase from poor businesses. We don't seem to anymore with our countries business or lack of business sense. Big Difference.

Aster

The issue is, not how many cuts, but WHAT gets cut and what doesn't.

Whoever has the power, gets to decide.

Examples of things that I think are overlooked that need to get cut, are agencies that provide no service except to make things harder on us. That's like paying someone to rip us off.

For an example, the F&W. It's apparent there is way too much time on these guy's hands, and the raids and invetigating and such don't provide any betterment for the taxpayer. That whole division of the F&W in charge of investigating and prosecuting wood is redundant and needs to go.

Read somewhere where one "side" claims longer lines at airports. Well, obviously, the ones creating the lines in the first place need to go if there isn't money. I don't require my bags to be searched. I'll suffer that better than lines.

If "we" don't want to lay off government employess, then how about putting them to work doing something useful? Build us a dam or something.

Maybe my numbers are wrong, but somehow I think that we could manage without needing 47,000 TSA people checking travelers at the airports. We need some, but 47,000 and growing? I've heard both sides of the isle saying that this is way bloated. How about the agencies in DC that were just hiring "drivers" starting pay $25-$28/hr. And administrative Assistance (all will say are secretaries, important, but clerical staff) starting pay $56k-$82K/yr. [scared] Come on. There's lots & lots of ways we can provide all that we need w/o wasting so much. The waste in protocol w/ purchasing, stocking, & disposing of hard goods (file cab., copiers, water heaters, building materials, etc. is staggering. Worked with some of that in the past and the people on the front lines are very frustrated and don't like the process. Many that I knew have quit as they just couldn't take the nonsense. It's not about doing w/o, it's about being as efficient in delivery that is paramount 1st IMHO.

Aster

Well, seeing how this sequester business was " our dear leader's" idea and trumpeted by his loyal minions in the mainstream media as a great accomplishment, I welcome it. I would prefer it on a much larger scale. The Federal Govt., has grown to point where it is inefficient, cumbersome and a threat to the individual liberties, it's supposed to protect. Let's see some things that could really be cut....... Free cellphones ( they call them Obamaphone in certain areas ) Really? A free cellphone? With 500 "free minutes", gee some folks have all the luck. Free Childcare, here's an idea..... Can't afford them? Quit producing them, Condoms are cheaper than diapers. Let's not be responsible and think beyond our urges. Free Healthcare.... Gimme a break. Food Stamps or EBT as it is called, being accepted at restaurants, as a second form of currency. Also, being traded out for cigarettes and alcohol in certain legitimate retailers.

See, the problem is there are plenty of wasteful programs that could be cut or reformed with a little political backbone, but the entitlement crowd, race pimps, and special interest groups will wail , gnash teeth and bemoan the loss of even one tittle of their Gubbment Cheez. All the while, we go to the Chinese with hat in hand and beg for money.... in essence to finance our own future enslavement. But HEY, as long as we all know wuz happenin with JayZ and Beyonce, Kim and Kanye and all the Hollywood pukes, it'll be just fine.

I'd be fine if ALL of the business officers w/ the CEO & all of the Board of directors were removed from the business. Get new people that really know how to run the business in and are true LEADERS not rabble rousers.

Aster

Couldn't be more wrong most CEO's and all C Level employees are at risk employee's which mean they report directly to the shareholders and others as to the profitability of a company if there not successful and don't bring in more capital than they cost they wouldn't last a minute. The highly paid C levels aren't the problem is the thousands of union and other entitled employee's below them that can't be held accountable to perform in most cases. that's what's sucking the life out of many businesses.

To think you could just fire all the bosses and everything would be fine is not a reasonable business model and never has been that's why competition is so fierce at the top and companies fight over intelligent and competent CEO's and the others at the top. in the majority of large companies you can fire dozens if not hundreds of the middle management and the other employee's and life goes on with usually barely a ripple lose a high level boss and panic set's in it can even effect the value and ability of a company to sell stock.

Sure there are abuses but there few and far between and the ones that are the horror stories are usually a corrupt CEO that is corrupt because government laws and regulations allow it like in the banking and home loan fiasco's of the last decade. If the government wasn't stepping in to screw this up by guaranteeing no risk on bad business practices of course people will abuse it. Imagine for a moment what the banks and loan agencies would be like without government involvement? they would look very different because they wouldn't loan money and give mortgages to people that had no chance of being able to afford them in the first place, what a horror we wouldn't have people buying homes they can't afford and living off credit cards while driving there brand new 40k truck on a two week vacation instead of paying there bills what a horror that would be.

I always see people say like you did - Get rid of all the bosses and get people (usually themselves) that really know how to run the business and it would be better??? Here's the real 100% truth that most employee's don't want to hear - if those other people could run the company better they would be. Shareholder want money above anything else in a company there not loyal to CEO's there loyal to dividends and if you or anybody else could make a company better and more profitable then you would be the boss. Complaining about your boss is a whole lot easier than doing there job.

Thanks Aster and looks like I'm wrong here (not the first time and won't be the last). I thought you were slamming all leadership across the board a story Ive heard way to often. If your talking about a specific company then I have no knowledge so if there idiots than they should be removed. Thanks for pointing out the specific and correcting me and I hope no offense was taken by you or anyone else.

Offense? What's that? Nothing you said would be offensive and was very well said to boot!! None taken from me!!! Can't see how anyone else could be taking "sympathetic offense" either! [biggrin]

Aster

Archived