Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul standard strings for warm sound?

Bailenforcer

GHS Boomers strings are bright so don't get those. Ernie Ball Slinky's are a middle type of tone. Size 10's are the modern standard for your LP. You can go up in size for a darker tone to 11's. If your hands are strong even 12's would be OK. I am only familiar with about four brands of strings. Nothing in the real dark area. I have tried some Flatwound Ernie Ball 11's years ago that gave that dark tone to a hollowbody I had. I have stuck with the Ernie Ball's and GHS for a long time now on a couple guitars I have because I like the sound of them better than the rest.

Having old ears from too many nights in front of a 4x12 cab, I like a little brightness in my strings. Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies (10-46) are my pick. If you like less brilliance use nickel strings instead of stainless steel. You might like DR Pure Blues. Those are supposed to be the favorite strings of Derrick Trucks. He has some nice tones on stage.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DRSPHBL

I realize that everyone is just posting what strings they use, but i play rhythm guitar in an indie/pop rock band and have been using ernie ball regular slinky 10's for over 10 years. I use a Gibson Les Paul and an Epiphone SG G-400 as backup thru a Mesa Dual Rec. Love the way it sounds for what i do. I've tried DR tite-fit 10's and D'Addario 10's and don't like them as much.

I found that all things affect tone so much that strings are a small part of the chain. Pick height the volume and tone pots . I have a vintage red knob fender champ and a Carvin 2 12" amp the both will give me warmth but with a different flavour experiment with your other settings if your strings aren't cutting it. You may already have the right strings but not the right settings or you just may not like the sound of your amp

Dwight

Have you considered the picks you're using? I've found that the typical celluloid/tortoiseshell style of pick gives a much smoother sound than other plastic pick materials. I use mediums with all my guitars, Semi's, Strats and Les Pauls and the difference in pick material makes an immediate difference in taking off a bit of the biting edge.

Archived