Gibson Brands Forums

Need advice for what strings to use

Alika

Hello everyone. I've got a 92 Les Paul Gibson Standard which I need to replace the strings. I'm not a musician myself and doing it for somebody else. I prefer using the Gibson brand, but I have found so many variations. Any advice on what to pick or what brand of strings works the best for you? Thank you very much for any info.

Gibson fret-wire is deemed to be relatively soft therefore the use of Pure Nickel strings is strongly advised at all times in order to minimise fret-wear.

I normally use the Rotosound brand but the last change saw me using D'Adarrio Pure Nickels and I really like them. The wounds are a bit brighter than the Rotosound type but I got used to it...

P.

Ernie ball Classic rock pure nickle slinkys, best strings i ever found. or just the regular slinkys if you cant find the classic rocks.

I second that. Ernie Balls are the best strings I've ever used. On my Les Paul, I use Pure Nickel 10's

Gibson fret-wire is deemed to be relatively soft therefore the use of Pure Nickel strings is strongly advised at all times in order to minimise fret-wear.

Plus, I find they sound better than nickel wound.

I have been using Gibson Vintage Reissue 10s for the past few years now.

Well, all comes down to personal taste in the end but...on my single coil guitars I am loving the ernie ball cobalts ( 11's) and on the only humbucker guitar I own I recently tried a set of D'Addario XL chrome Jazz flatwounds (11's again ) and I am loving them.....I might try a set of them on one of my single coil guitars to see if I like the sounds.

You can't go wrong with D'Addario XL Nickel Wound in .010/.046 regular light gauge. Part number is EXL110-3D

Gibson doesn't make strings, they are just rebadged, so don't get hung up on that.

These are what I restrung my Lester with a couple hours ago.

Archived