Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone ever cut the top off of their Epiphone headstock?

Westly West

One of these beauties is Made in the USA, but which one ? Answers on a post card to......

ESheaven003.jpg

Without a closer view of the headstocks, I would guess the one on the left is US-made, although the shape of the f-holes (but not the location) looks a bit off. No expert here, just a "wilducated" guess....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without a closer view of the headstocks, I would guess the one on the left is US-made, although the shape of the f-holes (but not the location) looks a bit off. No expert here, just a "wilducated" guess....

Your Wrong, and i'm flattered! Thats an Epiphone ES175 - see earlier in this thread. Another go?

191012063.jpg

Ok.. sorry to be a jerk

The one on the left looks like and es175 with a funny pick guard.

The one in the middle has a funny headstock.

The one on the right looks legit PLUS it is an es137 and no one in their right mind copies those (I said I was going to be a jerk)

No,i dont think your a 'jerk', and you are right. The pick guard is off an old damaged,Japanese archtop and is closer to the correct shape than the Epi was, plus it is 5 ply as opposed to 3.

The Headstocks were cut only at the top copying the 137's. I decided it was too much work to add wood to achieve the correct shape, but you have to really know these guitars to pick this up.

I do this for my own satisfaction,i dont intend to sell these,and if i had to, i will be totally honest about everything. The 137 was an excercise in how different it would sound with new p'ups

and the trem and also a bit of a departure from the others. IMHO, the three of these are great guitars- the Epi's are not humbled by the Gibson with the improvements made. 135 has the

Jimmy Page wiring mod coupled with Iron gear rolling mill p'ups which i highly recommend. Also note the dot inlays which should of course be trapeze.

135004.jpg

I've thought about doing this to an epi SG. I like the headstock on the Semi's but the headstock on the les Paul's and SG's are awful on epiphones in my opinion. I 'd still have epi on the headstock tho. Anyone got anymore pics to show how they did this to the headstock? The paint job after would be the main issue I'd have thought. Anyone show how they did this?

I dont have many useful pics of what i did, but basically you need to make a template of a Gibson headstock top from stiff card or similar. Overlay on to the Epi' h'stock and then i cut out the shape with a scroll saw just a little taller than you want to finish with.

Then its a case of filing down to shape and finishing with sand papers 'till you get happy with the look and smooth enough to put primer,then paint on the cut surface. You will find that you have cut through the Epi' logo, so will have to source a water slide transfer to replace it.

Paint is going to be the make or break of this. I use Nitro cellulose black over the h'stock face to hide old logo .When thats done and dry and even, apply new logo and seal with clear gloss nitro. You may need several coats cut back with wet/dry paper to cover logo and look deep and even. You could use 'rattle cans',(2k/acrylic/poly) but its the same technique - elbow grease always pays off.

I dont have many useful pics of what i did, but basically you need to make a template of a Gibson headstock top from stiff card or similar. Overlay on to the Epi' h'stock and then i cut out the shape with a scroll saw just a little taller than you want to finish with.

Then its a case of filing down to shape and finishing with sand papers 'till you get happy with the look and smooth enough to put primer,then paint on the cut surface. You will find that you have cut through the Epi' logo, so will have to source a water slide transfer to replace it.

Paint is going to be the make or break of this. I use Nitro cellulose black over the h'stock face to hide old logo .When thats done and dry and even, apply new logo and seal with clear gloss nitro. You may need several coats cut back with wet/dry paper to cover logo and look deep and even. You could use 'rattle cans',(2k/acrylic/poly) but its the same technique - elbow grease always pays off.

Question. Did you have to glue some wood to the side to give it the open book shape or is the headstock big enough. I get the feeling the SG headstock would be too narrow

I decided that although not correct, that the sides were ok for me. If you want to exactly replicate the SG h'stock,make a full template and see what the different sillhouette would be.

You can glue wings on with a carpenters 'high grab' wood glue, i use Elmers for most jobs.Clamp the glued sides,clean up and leave to dry overnight. Next you would re shape head. Bare in mind that changing the width will mean plugging the existing machinehead holes and re drilling for the correct placement. This all means alot of extra work and possibly respraying the whole neck, depending on the actual finish of your SG to hide your wood work.

All this info is just scratching the surface.If you need more detailed info,its out on the web, or feel free to message me and i'll be happy to help.

• 1 year later...

Hi!

I originated this thread some months ago. I really didn't think anyone responded because I never received any email notifications as I do from other forums that I'm a member of. Anyway, sorry for not responding sooner. And, a BIG THANK YOU to all who responded. (Even those who weren't particularly helpful by telling me why I shouldn't do it!) 8-)

FYI, I've already done it. The reason being that my God, It was just so incredibly top heavy and LOOOOOONG!!!

I just couldn't deal with it

Now, just for fun, I'll try to respond to some of the more helpful posts individually...

(And maybe to some of the more insulting ones also...)

Anyway, It was indeed a complete re-make from the ground up and if anyone is at all interested then I'll eventually post links to pictures and videos of the project.

Just let me know!

Now I'll go see if I can figure out how to get email notifications...

and...

Thank you all again.

While I'll agree that there is a little more "real estate" there than I would design in, I think you're opening a can of worms here. Was the plan to just cut straight across or were you going to try to match the open-book look? The black veneer (or finish, anyway) on the face of the head stock is very fragile and will easily chip when cutting or sanding. Cutting it will also leave a raw edge at the top, that you will have to match colors on. And obviously, you will loose the "Epiphone". Is it just the looks? Or are you having a problem with "head dive"?

All true!

And, Yes to all!

Actually, the Epi hourglass headstock shape is one of my favorites.

Would seem kind of sad to cut it up.

But of course, we all have differing views re what looks good.

Great to know! Let me file that along with all the other interesting facts that I've collected about what YOU like...

:)

Ive seen it. One of our local shops had one for sale that had the headstock cut. It was not cut to look like a Gibson but just cut flat below the Brand just above the tuners. It was actually a very nice guitar and didnt look bad at all, but I would e a little afraid to do it myself.

Yes, straight across!

I was a little afraid to do it. But I'm so glad I did!

This is my point! As most Epi owners bought a discount Asian built guitar wishing it were a Gibson, it's NOT!

The next thing the OP is going to want to know is where to buy a "Gibson" headstock overlay.

If you would have worked a little harder and saved a little longer, you could have bought a REAL Gibson!

Another example of the "Instant Gratification Generation"! Stop it, you're ruining my golden years.

Geez dude, Take a pill...

(p.s. you're wrong on each of your points)

There are reasons to consider it. The mass of wood in the headstock absorbs string energy hence reducing sustain. I know luthiers who deliberately design small headstocks because of this.

Also, if you reshape the headstock into more of an "A" shape, the tuners will be more in line with nut slots thus reducing side-to-side string angle at the nut and the tendency of strings to stick in the slots.

I might do it to my dot when I get around to replacing the tuners but it's not something I'd want to recommend exactly. This is major surgery you should only consider if you've got some luthier skills or if you've designated the instrument as an experimental guitar to try stuff out on.

Thanks for the info, but I'm not shaving the sides, just cutting off the tombstone...

But thanks for actually trying to help!

:)

Maybe because he wanted a Gibson ES-175 but couldn't afford it or justify the expense. I tend to agree with him, I don't care much for the long headstock when used on the "Gibson model" guitars. I bought the Epi ES-355 and if they had made a version with the shorter Epi headstock like the LPs have I would have bought it. But they don't. I would never do it myself, but I have often thought about whether it would be possible to reshape the headstock to be shorter (while keeping the Epi logo). I have seen people redo their Gretsch Electromatic headstocks to be more like the proline headstocks and they look pretty good.

RIGHT ON!!!

Good post!

Thanks!

Archived