Gibson Brands Forums

What does "Gibson USA Prototype" sticker mean?

Thanks again for the information everybody. It looks like my guitar could be one of these:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Guitar%20of%20the%20Week/Les_Paul_Classic_Antique-Wk_27/

Week 27 - Les Paul Classic Antique

Drawing on the specifications that have made the Les Paul the most legendary electric guitar of all time, the Les Paul Classic Antique continues Gibson's popular Classic line with the vintage touches guitarists love. Now with a beautiful mahogany top finished in Faded Cherry and acclaimed '57 Classic PAF humbuckers, the Les Paul Classic Antique allows players to experience the power and performance of an original Les Paul at an affordable price.

Limited run of 400

Thanks again for the information everybody. It looks like my guitar could be one of these:

Limited run of 400

That looks right.

Yours, as it was the prototype for the limited edition run, is in some ways a bit more special in that it won't be numbered amongst the 400.

Great, unique, present! May you enjoy it for a long time and in good health!

P.

Just a wild guess here.

I would say it was a Gibson prototype that they decided not to manufacture.

Hard Rock got their hands on it somehow for cheap. The holes are from where they mounted it on the wall of the restaurant.

Since they liked you - they yanked it off the wall and had everyone sign it as a going away gift.

Might be rare, but probably not too valuable.

Did you read comment #25 from the Gibson Customer Service rep? . . That would be the definitive answer.

Gibson's practice of drilling holes in prototypes to prevent resale is well known - even on acoustic prototypes.

Couldn't one simply fill in the hole and refinish it thus making it as new?

I'm curious why a prototype would have a serial number? All of the prototypes I've seen nine have handwritten proto#1 on them. Most of them have the hole so that makes sense.

Couldn't one simply fill in the hole and refinish it thus making it as new?

I'm curious why a prototype would have a serial number? All of the prototypes I've seen nine have handwritten proto#1 on them. Most of them have the hole so that makes sense.

Having worked in a large corporation for a long time, all it takes is a change in one manager in that department and the process used previously is changed to the way the new manager, which is obviously smarter than the last manager, wants to do something. Makes perfect sense [crying] .

Having worked in a large corporation for a long time, all it takes is a change in one manager in that department and the process used previously is changed to the way the new manager, which is obviously smarter than the last manager, wants to do something. Makes perfect sense [crying] .

Except for the fact that the guitar in question was supposedly made in 2007, so if a manager had made an executive decision to use stickers for prototypes, then someone changed it back recently as evident by the "Lucy" prototype that was just announced for limited production.

So pre 2007, they used handwritten protos and no serial numbers, then changed to stickers and serial numbers in 2007, but back to handwritten and no serial numbers? I think not!

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/in-pictures-eric-clapton-crossroads-guitar-collection-570737/18

Maybe there is no rhyme or reason for how they mark them....this is gibson we are talking about, serialization was never their string suit.. Lol

This was likely a guitar that we donated to the Hard Rock Cafe for display; holes were likely drilled to ensure that the instrument was not resold at any point as a 1st quality product instrument. If there are any other specifics that we can come up with, we'll post here as well.

*ahem*......

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Guitar%20of%20the%20Week/Les_Paul_Classic_Antique-Wk_27/

Week 27 - Les Paul Classic Antique

Drawing on the specifications that have made the Les Paul the most legendary electric guitar of all time, the Les Paul Classic Antique continues Gibson's popular Classic line with the vintage touches guitarists love. Now with a beautiful mahogany top finished in Faded Cherry and acclaimed '57 Classic PAF humbuckers, the Les Paul Classic Antique allows players to experience the power and performance of an original Les Paul at an affordable price.

Limited run of 400

*ahem*....

Check it out:

We know WHAT the guitar is, and we also know why it has the holes and the sticker.

Obviously, it is not really a prototype, but rather one of these 400 from the GOTW, and the sticker and the holes were placed by Gibson as they donated it.

Mystery solved. Thanks to the thread and info provided. But there really is nothing further to add, as it's pretty conclusive.

*ahem*....

No doubt that's it, I'm questioning the prototype designation though....I wouldn't think a prototype has a serial number....none of the prototypes I've seen have had serial numbers, other than a 001 I found.