Gibson Brands Forums

Get a clue, Gibson

livemusic

We have discussed this before. I just wonder if anyone from Gibson ever reads this stuff. After all it is gibson.com! Anyway, this is another example that is just awful, IMO... Southern Jumbo Woody Guthrie model -- http://elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-14567.htm

Look at the pick of the pickguard, how it is not applied to be concentric with the underlying rosette circles. My J-45 standard is that way, I have yet to fix it, but I am going to someday!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My best guess is that Gibson's pickguard placement has less to do with aesthetics than with simply protecting against pick damage. I've seen many - and a bought a few - used guitars that are all chewed up at the edge of the soundhole because the pickguard didn't cover that area.

Lining up the pickguard with the concentric circles may the guitar look spiffier in the showroom, but a hard picker can inflict some serious cosmetic damage after getting the guitar home. :)

That placement started after production moved to Bozeman and I agree with the OP. it looks like total crap to me. It strikes me as particularly ironic given the number of stories I've read about the folks in Bozeman studying vintage examples of their own guitars in order to get things right with the new reproductions. My best guess is that they place the teardrop guard this way because it allows much more room for error and takes less skill than placing the guard just clear of the small rosettes as Gibson used to do in the pre-Bozeman days.

In my opinion, the folks in Bozeman can take credit for many positives in the overall history of Gibson Acoustics. This however is not one of them.

I get out the naptha, dental floss, a few q-tips and go to work. I've moved (and had to slightly refile the radius of the guard) every pickguard of every recent Gibson I've owned. These complaints have been around for a while. I don't think Gibson's interested in this.

So now it's just part of the cost of doing business. On the plus side, you get to "fix" some guitars, a gift that keeps giving down the line. And also, I sometimes opt for a different guard altogether. (Someone owns my first L-00, now sporting a properly placed firestripe guard.)

But in the end I agree with Guth that even when Gibson goes to lengths to get some vintage vibe going on a particular model, they still don't get the guard right. Such an easy thing to fix.

I've seen the alternative on other makers guitars. It is absolutely ludicrous for the pick guard to be an inch away from the edge of the sound hole. After a night of mad, passionate strumming - the inch wood gap would be scuffed and scratched and some cry baby would be complaining about that,

I knew a guy who would remove the pickguard and replace it with one that came right up to the edge of the soundhole. His reason, on every guitar he had ever owned that area always seemed to get chewed up.

I don't like the covered rosette look but soundholes can get chewed up. My old J-45 was like this when I got it. But I've owned other guitars for 15+ years & my picking stroke doesn't do that at all. 18367D40-BE1C-47D9-91BB-FA10C87B5D72-24265-00002FA73C273B59.jpg

I have seen a few Gibson Factory tour videos and photos, but I have not seen anyone putting the P/G on in any of these.

How is it done?

Does the worker have a template that lays on the guitar and the P/G slots in and stuck down, or is it all done 'freehand"?

Was a 'Gibson Decision' made about the placement - you would assume so.

I fingerpick so I don't really need the P/G apart from my R/H pinky leaning on the guitar, but I like the look.

BluesKing777.

I don't like the covered rosette look but soundholes can get chewed up. My old J-45 was like this when I got it. But I've owned other guitars for 15+ years & my picking stroke doesn't do that at all. 18367D40-BE1C-47D9-91BB-FA10C87B5D72-24265-00002FA73C273B59.jpg

I don't think this comes from flatpicks. look at which guitars show this wear. it's usually the one from the 50s on back... no matter how hard a new guitar is played it just RARELY (not never) has this. I think it's b/c metal finger picks used to be more popular. this makes senses b/c they could more easily cause this heavy damage than plastic picks. also, it's actually quite hard to hit the top that close to the strings with a flat pick. it is however quite easy if you are plucking up with metal finger picks.

also, if it were the flat pick, then you would see the same damage on the bass side of the sound hole.

For those that buy into the story that they place them that way to protect as much of the soundboard as possible: Why don't they do this on all of their acoustics? I'm definitely glad that they don't, or at least haven't so far. I can't imagine how screwed up an AJ or one of those pretty new J-35s would look with their guards moved over to cover up the rosette.

Fortunately this lack of craftsmanship can be remedied by the individual owner that does care to take the time to get it right.

Well, it's quite obvious to me that they are placing these guards in the current position

to protect the guitar !

Why else would they? because they can't place them correct?????

give me a break. Anyway..it's clear that it bothers some..and for some it is no issue.... I do believe though...Gibson will revert to the traditional placement in the near future.

One of the reasons I opted for a Hummingbird...is the size and placement of the pick guard..and the protection it offers.

I used to have a different style of playing..here is a photo of my Seagul... all the wear here was caused by my fore finger and ring finger ..nails... hitting the body above the pg

You can't see really..but the area is nearly worn away..and is very thin compared to the rest of the top

P3040382_zps43ae4693.jpg

here are a couple of my HB... as you can see ..there is wear beginning to show..where I am hitting the guard..with my nail... I play with fingers..and thumbpick

P3040379_zpsdb4c80d5.jpg

P3040375_zps4514ab97.jpg

i am very gald of the protection the HB guard gives to the body..being basically covering the sound hole

Well, it's quite obvious to me that they are placing these guards in the current position

to protect the guitar !

Why else would they? because they can't place them correct?????

give me a break.

Jesus wept, Del, he's entitled to his opinion... yet another example of being abrasively dismissive of others. You need to work on yer bedside manner.

Jesus wept, Del, he's entitled to his opinion... yet another example of being abrasively dismissive of others. You need to work on yer bedside manner.

haha

looking for a ruck eh PM!

aint happenin...my post was aimed at no one in particular.. more the general debate that goes on these pages concerning given issue

thats all

its my opinion..but as Jeremy Morton as stated a fair few times

the pick guards are in the correct position based on current Bozeman production

so PM why do YOU think they are placing them this way.

eh eh... wanna fight ! :P

haha

looking for a ruck eh PM!

aint happenin...my post was aimed at no one in particular.. more the general debate that goes on these pages concerning given issue

thats all

its my opinion..but as Jeremy Morton as stated a fair few times

the pick guards are in the correct position based on current Bozeman production

so PM why do YOU think they are placing them this way.

eh eh... wanna fight ! :P

All very abrasive yet again, Del... so ironically, it would seem you do want a ruck after all.. it was 'just my opinion' that your bedside manner leaves a wee bit to be desired when someones thoughts don't mirror your own. This is a long standing bone of contention on here and again I would say each are entitled to their opinions, personally I think the teardrop placement is quite poor, but I knew that before I got a J-45, I got one, took the PG off after 24 hours and changed it to something I did like. Not a big deal for me but again I'll say I knew what to expect.

My best guess is you don't take any kind of genuine criticism too well, so I stand by what I said, your bedside manner really does need a wee bit of work. Sometimes it's best to say nothing instead of the 'give me a break' and the 'FFS' etc... I'm sure some have taken that route on your own decision to do away with the PG design on a pricey TV model.

For those that buy into the story that they place them that way to protect as much of the soundboard as possible: Why don't they do this on all of their acoustics?...

BINGO!

BTW, Gibson could place a pickguard close to the edge but make it concentric to the circles. It is just so sloppy! These are not cheap guitars.

to protect the guitar !

give me a break.

One of the reasons I opted for a Hummingbird....

I used to have a different style of playing..

here is a photo of

finger and ring finger ..nails... hitting

You can't see really..

but the area is nearly worn away..

as you can see ..

hitting the guard..with my nail...

I play with fingers..

P3040379_zpsdb4c80d5.jpg

P3040375_zps4514ab97.jpg

i am very gald

Those pics close to psychedelia, Del, , , , ask Nick. . . .

Well cheers Em7

( i think ;) )

looks like PM is on his period again... better give a wide berth to this thread now. hehe

Oh, two posts in and you've reduced yourself to personal abuse, haha, no doing your cause many favours here, Del. So to recap, one small 'opinion' shared with yoiu on how you may come across to the reader has resulted in me being accused of starting a fight, yet I have used no aggressive language, followed by a rehash of 'PM is on his period'.

The use of being 'on my period' is quite funny though, this is from the guy who said I was 'sexist' and 'a misogynist' a wee while back. You're not a gentleman are you, Del? I'm wondering if you're going to go back and edit all your earlier posts later on once you've calmed down, should I quote them just in case?

Archived