Gibson Brands Forums

Get a clue, Gibson

livemusic

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

before i say this , i really wouldve preferred my pickguard to be placed outside the rosette rather than thw soundhole .....

while indont work in the guitar industry , i do work in sales , and am forever telling my customers that they shouldnt listen to the small minority of folk who complain (some of whom obviously have nothing better to do ) if you're trying to provide a service to some extent , try and listen to the unspoken noncomplaints of the majority of customers .

how many guitars do these guys make and sell ? and how many of us are complaining that its not right ?

before i say this , i really wouldve preferred my pickguard to be placed outside the rosette rather than thw soundhole .....

while indont work in the guitar industry , i do work in sales , and am forever telling my customers that they shouldnt listen to the small minority of folk who complain (some of whom obviously have nothing better to do ) if you're trying to provide a service to some extent , try and listen to the unspoken noncomplaints of the majority of customers .

how many guitars do these guys make and sell ? and how many of us are complaining that its not right ?

Finally getting somewhere now... I agree with that, like yourself I would have preferred a slightly more aesthetically appealing placement, so I bought one, made the change myself. Jobs a good'n... end of story. I do agree with the complainers about the placement, but I thought it offered greater resolution to my problem for me to fix it rather than moan about it online. ..with the footnote that I chose the words "fix it" deliberately.

Just no end to my amusement.... Mate yer a star, yer defo one of my favourites. I almost wish I had a pocket version.

what the feck you on about now PM..hahaha

i think you been havin a sneaky toke on the old happy baccy in the bogs on pee break aint ya !

Seriously..can you..or anyone else.. tell me when this pg placement started?

i'm honestly interested to know

... i really wouldve preferred my pickguard to be placed outside the rosette rather than thw soundhole .....

they shouldnt listen to the small minority of folk who complain (some of whom obviously have nothing better to do ) ....

.... I would have preferred a slightly more aesthetically appealing placement .... but I thought it offered greater resolution to my problem for me to fix it rather than moan about it online. ....

So it's okay for some to voice an opinion in the negative, but others are moaners with nothing better to do? . . #-o

Nice. . . [glare]

what the feck you on about now PM..hahaha

i think you been havin a sneaky toke on the old happy baccy in the bogs on pee break aint ya !

Seriously..can you..or anyone else.. tell me when this pg placement started?

i'm honestly interested to know

This is what I'm talking about, like a wee Jack Russell, even when yer beat, still nippin' away! Yer a class act!

So today, I'm "on my period" (coming from a man who called me sexist and a misogynist) and now you're accusing me of taking drugs, all because I don't mirror your opinions? like I said earlier... you really don't handle any perceived criticism too well do you? Gloves off straight to the ungentlemanly stuff right off the bat, haw haw, yer a riot.. Thankfully my bladder control is in peak shape or I'd be on my third set today already, though I'm surprised you haven't told me to quit my job and find a soul etc... or are you not spinning that record today?

A question though, is your bed placed against a wall or in the centre of the room, Del? If it's in the centre you should try getting out of the other side once in a while. Have a nice night mate.

So it's okay for some to voice an opinion in the negative, but others are moaners with nothing better to do? . . #-o

Nice. . . [glare]

No BK, you misunderstand, I'm with the 'moaners', I fully agree the placement is not great, but even the most eloquent rant about it wouldn't change its position, so instead of venting when it was my turn I ripped the guard off and put a new one on that worked better for me. That hasn't stopped me having a wee post-fix moan about it on several of the threads covering it in the past.

bbg, your point is a fair one. I tend to agree that Gibson gets away with this because they can, people still continue to buy the guitars.

On the other hand, this kind of stuff being allowed to leave the factory makes the Gibson bashing that occurs on other forums more understandable.

bbg, your point is a fair one. I tend to agree that Gibson gets away with this because they can, people still continue to buy the guitars.

On the other hand, this kind of stuff being allowed to leave the factory makes the Gibson bashing that occurs on other forums more understandable.

yep, they're not cheap, you might expect a reasonable amount of success in arguing that the least you should expect is a properly fitted PG that matches the curvature of the rosette in certain circles. Personally I'd be inclined to agree, the flip side being I managed to "fix" it to suit my tastes relatively cheap. I think generally they do pretty nifty work at Bozeman and many an argument on AGF have I advocated for Gibson based on sound, iconic value etc... but they're not outside a valid bit of criticism now & then when it's warranted. For me this is one of those cases.

Del, this appears to have been the case ever since production moved to Bozeman (yes, late 80's).

Cheers Guth

well i had no idea this had been the case for more than 20 years.. you learn stuff here dont cha

but it is a hoot some times

come on guys..if this has been the case for over 20 years..

GET OVER IT ;)

I too think that thus far the Bozeman era has been a bright spot in the history of Gibson guitars overall. Ironically, this kind of stuff does tend to bother me because I do happen to care about Gibson acoustics.

Love the shenanigans fellas but seriously how the heck do some of you guys were the too of your guitars off? Even the pickguard? I have never had this issue you must be really pounding in it to do that. As for the pickguard placement ya some are worse than others but its an easy fix

Do you think the guys at the Montana factory come across this stuff and just laugh at it all?

Maybe. They know, but probably won't change.

Here's Jeremy's comment (#8) on one of those threads I listed concerning getting a 45 with the pickguard placed . . . more aesthetically -

Gotomsdos

You may have to custom order a guitar without the PG attached and have it included in the case. That way you can alter it to your liking.

The current guards are being attached properly and as they should.

All the best

JM

I have seen a few Gibson Factory tour videos and photos, but I have not seen anyone putting the P/G on in any of these.

How is it done?

BluesKing777.

It looks to me like it is put on by blind volunteers using their touch abilities....:unsure:

I think what bugs me the most is the transluscent nature of the modern firestripe guards lets so much of the rosette show through the pickguard, that it is quite distracting to the eye!

Whatever.....I don,t like it!

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-14567.htm

Nice pic ZW, nice guitars. The beat J-45 I posted has, BTW, a replaced later-period guard that was added along with plenty of other work by previous owner(s). It even has 'popsicle braces' placed around the new guard to hold things together. Funny that it still sounds OK! Two friends commented on how great this old thing sounded. Of course they don't understand guitar 'geometry' so don't know good guitar tone.

I'm glad the new and period incorrect guard was added in the correct spot.

I've played it for many years & am gonna do that right now!

My Woody Guthrie was like that too only worse, the pick guard was not only tilted and covering the rosette, but it looked like it was applied by a 6 year old, with many little glue bubbles squashed underneath the pick guard which could be seen through it. The fingerboard had looked like it was half painted with a clear lacquer which only took on half of the fingerboard, sinking in half of the grains, and shiny on the other half. A mess. I sold it to a collector and bought an Epi Masterbilt AJ-500M for $499.00 with the profits..the Epi Masterbilt is a similar sort of slope shoulder and mahogany body like the Woody. The MB from China not only looks better, but plays better.

Archived