Gibson Brands Forums

Northern jumbo

Motherofpearl

JUST NEED TO NOTE ONE THING ABOUT THE NEW "NORTHERN JUMBO"

It is NOT a Mapleburst J45 with Canadian decal on the back of the headstock. Even though L&M did do a run of those Canadiana'd Maplebursts recently, this new Northern Jumbo is a new and way wayyy better guitar. I played one yesterday at my local L&M and it is indeed a custom shop. Specs off the top of my head were:

- Red Spruce (adi) top / really really nice straight grain

- Dark 30's style sunburst

- Rosewood back and sides

- some kind of LR Baggs system

- Custom Shop logo on back of headstock

It barked like any slope shoulder rosewood should. The neck was a bit too small for my liking. Maybe to liken it to a AJ? I own a Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe, huge neck, but all in all it was an excellent guitar. The only things I didn't enjoy were the horrid grover tuners and the lack of block inlay on the board.

Feel silly for not thinking to take photos :/

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

How did this thread re-surface ? , I googled Gibson Northern J-45 , this is what appeared as a result of the search.

Why ? , Long & McQuade has another run of 65 , limited edition , Northern J-45 's .

I bought one and wanted to find / print a spec sheet. Anyone in the know on specs / , species of wood used ? , electronics ?

Hi There;

Just bought myself a J-45 Northern (Limited Edition) The top is a beautiful Adirondack Red Spruce top, East Indian Rosewood b/s with a mahogany neck and rosewood finger board and nickel plated machine heads. A truely beautiful sounding acoustic guitar. May you have many happy years of playing.

Greenday20

Hi There;

Just bought myself a J-45 Northern (Limited Edition) The top is a beautiful Adirondack Red Spruce top, East Indian Rosewood b/s with a mahogany neck and rosewood finger board and nickel plated machine heads. A truely beautiful sounding acoustic guitar. May you have many happy years of playing.

Greenday20

Thank's ...

Here it is ..............

000_1194_zpsd56e0dd1.jpg

• 3 years later...

Archived