Gibson Brands Forums

Pedal Board layout help

EvoRider

I know that this has nothing to do with peavey amps or guitar or effects but i am in the process of building my pedalboard. Here is a list of what i have and plan on useing. And everything is running in my beloved Peavey Ultra 60 Tube Head and a 412MS cabinet icon_biggrin.gif

Pedal Pad Pedal board axs II

Ibanez Weeping Demond Wah

Hardwire HT2 Tuner

Boss Metal Zone

DOD super stereo chorus

Boss RC20xl looper

Proco Rat

Boss phase shifter

DOD Delay

Boss Tremolo

MXR 10 band EQ

I dont have them in anykind of a order i have read a lot of different things on pedalboard layout and i am confused on the correct order that i should have them in. I dont want to kill the tone of my Epiphone Les paul standard with Filtertrons. And not really sure i need all of them.. My favorite are Boss Metal zone, Proco Rat, RC20 looper, delay, chorus, I plan of getting a different phasor later on.. i am always getting different ones to try. I like to trade buy and sell so my board is always changing. But there are a few that are always on my board.

This is a bit of a black art but first try something like this; from guitar...tuner - wah, eq, distortions, then phase, trem, delay, chorus. Somewhere there you want the looper so you have to decide how many effects you want to be able to record into it.

The basic guide is wahs/eqs/tone modifiers (od, dist) first then time-based modulation effects (phase, flange, chor, delay) but there are always big exceptions and once you find a way that sounds good and works for you, stick with it. It is really very surprising how altering the order of effects can 'make or break' the tones you get from those effects.

Regards!

IMHO, it should be this way...

GUITAR

Hardwire HT2 Tuner

Boss Metal Zone

Proco Rat

MXR 10 band EQ

Boss phase shifter

DOD super stereo chorus

Boss Tremolo

DOD Delay

Boss RC20xl looper

Reasons? The EQ should shape the signal before modulation and the looper by being at the end of the chain will playback any loaded backing tracks unmodified AND record the new signal with the modulation effects applied. If you were going to add a reverb, put it before the looper. YMMV.

Pedal Pad Pedal board axs II

Hardwire HT2 Tuner

Boss Metal Zone

DOD super stereo chorus

Boss RC20xl looper

Proco Rat

Boss phase shifter

DOD Delay

Boss Tremolo

MXR 10 band EQ

Hello, I always read about people say "whatever work for you…" "just experiment" kind of advice for pedal order, but I think some of them arekind of logical in a particular order. And some are reversible for a different effect.

One important thing is to learn is about distortions / overdrives: they create a different sound when you play 1, 2 or more notes. They even sound different when you play dissonant or consonant intervals. Why does that matter your pedal order? Because when you apply delay, even when you play single note melody, your previous note will be retained and sound together with your current note. Which could be very dissonant together and make your sound "very" dirty.

What goes on inside chous its that it add a (or more) copy(s) of your current pitch to sound together with your current pitch.

So, these effects are better placed behind distortions

And then what happens in tremolos are that it make the volume go up or down. And you know what, distortions make the volume consistent. Input volume basically affect how "distorted" it's gonna sound, rather than how loud. So, if you place tremolos before dist, you may get a sound that's fluctuating between distorted and clean, instead of going up or down in volume.

So, my advice is: all distortions before chorus, trem and delay.

And the "experiment" part:

Wah before or after distortion: Both are usable sounds and there are fans of each.

Compressors before or after distortion: compressors make volume level consistent. If placed before distortion, your picking dynamics will have little effect on the "distortedness". you may or may not like this. If you like controlling the distortedness with picking / volume knob, but like a consistent level throughout, put it after dist, some people like them always on.

And the orders of the distortions: normally people put the lighter distortions before the heavier, more distorted ones, use them as a boost for the heavy ones. But the reverse could sound quite different. it's also worth experimenting.

Finally, the order within modulation effects (chorus, phasor, trem…). To my ears it doesn't matter, but I'm sure the could be someone more kbowledgble for that.

I always suggest the looper behind everthing else, so that you could have any combination looped with any combination currently playing. Otherwise the effect behind will always apply on both the playing and the looped signals, flexibility given up.

I have followed the diagram from my boss ME-70 Multi-effects to set-up a board I use in addtion to the ME-70 or as a secondary.

Pedal FX(WAH type pedal)--> Comp/FX( Auto wah pedals or comp)--> OD/DS( distortion/overdrive pedals)--> Preamp/EQ -->Foot Volume Pedals(not a wah combo type)--> Modulation pedals--> delay pedals--> reverb pedals

Of course you can always switch to the order that gets you your sound, but as Chipwich stated, some pedals work best behing the eq/preamp type pedals.

As your amp has an effects loop, it should be used. On my board I run my wah, tuner and boost pedal in a line from my guitar into the amp. Then my loop consists of in order; volume pedal, chorus, delay then reverb.

The idea is to keep all of the grit and tone shaping stuff straight in but run your 'fx' through the loop in an order that works for you. For me reverb is always last through the loop and wah, overdrive pedals etc straight to the amp input. This tends to allow each device to bring it's own voice to the blend without turning it all to mush. There are variations on this of course but it's generally a good rule of thumb.

As your amp has an effects loop, it should be used. On my board I run my wah, tuner and boost pedal in a line from my guitar into the amp. Then my loop consists of in order; volume pedal, chorus, delay then reverb.

The idea is to keep all of the grit and tone shaping stuff straight in but run your 'fx' through the loop in an order that works for you. For me reverb is always last through the loop and wah, overdrive pedals etc straight to the amp input. This tends to allow each device to bring it's own voice to the blend without turning it all to mush. There are variations on this of course but it's generally a good rule of thumb.

I don't have a lot of pedals, two grit pedals, and 2 line 6 (delay + modulation) however, this is how I run em as well with the exception of the wah which is before the overdrives.

I don't have a lot of pedals, two grit pedals, and 2 line 6 (delay + modulation) however, this is how I run em as well with the exception of the wah which is before the overdrives.

Sweet! So we're already on the same page. My wah is also 1st but delays, flangers etc could be mixed in their order as personal taste dictates.

Sweet! So we're already on the same page. My wah is also 1st but delays, flangers etc could be mixed in their order as personal taste dictates.

I find that if I put the overdrives in front of the delay, I get this nasty "bark" after tone with the delayed signal, unless the delay is mixed so far back that you can't really hear it.

In the FX loop, it doesn't do it. If I'm using the amps gain channel, that "bark" will never happen regardless of where the delay is loaded in. (FX loop or in line)

so it really does matter where these all go and what you are using along with them.

Oh and compressors - we fergot about compressors. I beleive those ought to go before anything that will pump up your signal, otherwise, you're gonna get some ducking if you for example have your overdrives also boosting volume.

it is a matter of experimenting, but once you think you have it nailed in your home environment, you get with the band situation, and you find that nothing works the same...

It's a wonder we're not all on Prozac..

Archived