Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rossington88

WORST Guitar Selling Mistake You've Ever Made?

I was forced to sell all my Fender Strats (5) which I hard earned with working all the summers ago when I studied and run out of money. Though I dont regret 4 of them, I regret selling the very first one - an ordinary black Fender Strat with Seymor Duncons...

The good thing is: I started playing last year again - but now with Les Pauls ;-)

i miss this one. I sold it to fund my Historic, which is definitely a better instrument. But the Std Faded was an excellent example of a USA Les Paul. And it was chambered too!

Picture020.jpg

I traded this Yamaha electric to a tree service company owner to remove a nuisance tree from my backyard. That was a really sweet sounding guitar and I regretted it immediately.

10125668224_1540a22fc4_c.jpg

I had bought a 1981 Gibson Victory MVII, brand new in 1982. She was candy apple red and sounded fantastic! Then in 1999 my life was hitting bottom. All due to me having to "live the high life". ](*,) I took her into a pawn shop and got me some pocket change, which went into some unscrupulous characters hands in exchange for _ _ _ _ _ . I was confident I would get her out of pawn. Alas, the local authorities felt it was best I spend a week in their county hotel over the time the pawn came due. By the time I was able to go back to the pawn shop she had been sold.

It took me eleven years just to find another Victory, an '81 MVX. I now own 5 Victorys, all 1981s, two MVXs and three MVIIs. One of which is exactly like my original one, but it isn't the same..... [sad] You may be able to find a similar guitar, but you'll never replace the one you had! I have stopped my behavioral issues and now have 19 guitars in my collection, 11 Gibsons, but I still search the ads locally to see if my original babe is up for sale. I still have her serial number so I will know her for sure, plus as long as she has her original bridge, I made a modification there too. Someday?

I've never sold a Gibson. My first is my '99 LPC the the wife bought new for me for a wedding anniversary gift. The second I just bought a few months ago.

I've had several other guitars along the way from Fender and others, but I'll never part with the Gibsons.

Can I ask you why you ever got involved with this guy in the first place especially for that kind of money? What did the authorities have to say about this dude? jim in Maine, USA

I sold a 1978 Wine Red Les Paul Deluxe which I always regretted.It had one of those metal boxes in the control cavity so it was quiet as a mouse even under intense stage lighting.Never went out of tune.Great little player.I also regret selling a late 60's SG with bigsby that I got in Sam Ash music in NY in '77.I was only 19 and didn't know its true worth at the time.Damn it! I went to Sam Ash in '77 to buy a Standard and the sales guy made a real fool of me in the store so palmed me off with the SG...I had only been playing a couple of years so hadn't a clue.Across the street there was a '57 Black beauty in a pawn shop for a few hundred bucks...but hindsights a wonderful thing!!

I sold the SG when I came back to Ireland and got the Deluxe as my hero Scott Gorham from Thin Lizzy had one.I went to a Lizzy show in '79 and got backstage to meet the band.Scott was playing a different Gibson.I asked Scott about the Deluxe..'what! that hunk of ****!" he says "I got rid of that! I'm now playing a '59!!..now that's a GUITAR". I was devastated, then sold the Deluxe next chance I got..ahhh the folly of youth!!!

Late on this one as usual...

Sunburst transition big-headstock r/w board Strat serial no 161234.

I don't even have a picture.

I sold my 1960 telecaster earlier this year for a strong 5 figures plus trade. It was in my family for 49 years. My parents had tried to sell it at garage sales in the 80's and 90's for $50, but no one ever bought it (small-town Dakotas), so it just sat in the closet until I started playing in the late 90's. I know that I'll come to be sorry for it years down the road, but I'm happy to put my growing family into a better house.

Also, I once traded a DeArmond M-75t Silver Sparkle for a crappy Peavey 4x10 cab when I was 17. I thought I needed volume. /sigh.

post-60454-080890400 1384201530_thumb.jpg

post-60454-011995000 1384201546_thumb.jpg

No pics but a beautiful 25th Anniversay Les Paul was the stupidest sale I made.

My first wife was bugging me for money and off went the guitar and off went the money.

Just idiotic.

CB:

Wow, even back in '69 you've got some awesome guitars!

GeoffGreen999:

That was suppose to be new? I'll say you got scammed. It looks like an old Epi with his headstock veneer.

After my SG broke in '67 by the neck/body, I bought a used black Les Paul. I don't know the year (maybe late '50). Played with it for years till the frets wore down; and I just gave it to my neighbor's kid in '79 when I went to work overseas. ](*,)

Here's a Rick that I regretfully sold in '67 to get some money for college tuition. :(

72cb1053-d380-4c80-88d4-0c1f4638be4b_zpsb6883df8.jpg

Selling my first guitar was my biggest mistake I ever made,once it's gone it's gone

Yup, count me in on this as well. Traded in my first guitar, a beautiful burst 1957 ES-125 in perfect condition, about 8 years ago on a brand new Taylor 310 acoustic. A month later I realized my mistake and went back to the store where I traded it and of course, it was gone. I left that store with tears in my eyes.

Selling my 2011 "Doves In Flight" Acoustic. Bought it new in March 2012, got divorced in June 2012, sold it in July 2012....Took a $700 beating. What a beauty. I can still remember the smell of fresh cut wood fillng the room every time I opened the case. I was so afraid to hold it, scratch it, get my fingerprints on the fretboard....I played it maybe 3 times, opened the case to look at it about 10 times.....then I had to let it go....or starve.As an amateur guitar player of 30+ years I learned something.....you can really feel quality when you hold it in your hands....

You really can and it's so difficult to describe just what that feeling is.

I've only owned a few like that and they were all top of the line Gibsons. These were all electrics but the one thing that they all shared in common was an ebony fret board. I'm not sure if it's the ebony or the care used in making the instrument that the ebony was used on. They just felt like they were hand made by someone who was really skilled.

In March 2012 I purchased a Gibson "Doves in Flight". In May 2012 I got divorced. In July 2012 I needed the money......took a $700 beating. I hated to sell her, but once I realized I had to eat and keep a roof over my head it was easier to let it go. I have missed that guitar, but honestly I was afraid to hold it, scratch it, get my sweat on the fretboard.....so I only picked it up a handful of times mostly just to smell the fresh lumber. So last week I purchased an anniversary Dove. Supposedly 1 of only 50 made (according to the certificate of authenticity). Again...I open the case and smell the forest. So I'm playing this one....trying to bond with it and make her an inseparable friend. Maybe if I play it "til my fingers bleed" I wont be so hasty to let this one go!

PS...I have a history of purchasing some nice stuff....guns, guitars, motorcycles, cameras.....then selling them for a loss. I may need therapy....

B)

In 1970, I bought a used LP custom tux model and a vox amp as big as a fridge for $800. Less than a year later, I traded the LP straight up for a used strat (cause ya know . . . Jimi) that I subsequently sold for $150. I left the amp at a jam session at some guys house and I never could find my way back. Shame on me!

I didn't need to sell my first guitar. My son did it for me. But I must say I had given it to him so it was his to sell. It was a fender acoustic that I paid $250 for in 1974. Beautiful spruce top, quater sawn and tight grain. Mahogany back and sides. A similar guitar in today's dollars would probably retail for $1,000.

He asked for a cheap guitar for his birthday this year. We had a heart to heart chat about keepsakes and family heirlooms and then I got him a Gibson SJ 200 acoustic. For Christmas he is getting a Gibson L-5 CES because he played in the highschool jazz band. I ordered it two weeks ago from the local Gibson dealer and am anxious for it to arrive.

What do they say..."A fool and his money is soon parted."

Like the title says: What was the biggest mistake you've ever made? Did you sell your prized amp? Maybe a family heirloom? Hard times force a ridiculously low price?

Personally, my worst mistake was selling a 1991 Gibson Les Paul Standard in WHITE. She was easily the BEST guitar I have ever owned but I sold her as a partial trade in about 2004 because I totally HAD to have an Ace Frehley Les Paul ](*,) (Which USED to be hard to come by... [cursing] Grumbles [cursing] .). It was an incredibly beautiful instrument and the white is evidently extremely hard to come by. To this day, I regret it quite deeply. In fact, I still look around to see if anyone is selling her so I may be able to negotiate for her return; With a sale in the Rhode Island area plus replaced tuners, a blue discoloration between frets 1-5, a busted lock latch and a certain mark below the tailpiece, I would know her if I saw her.

8530750856_9d0a05befa.jpg

What about you? Let's hear 'em!! :-({|=

Where do I start, met new girlfriend sold pre cbs tele $180, to help buy a car to impress her, car scrapped, tele worth a fortune. sold gibson sg cherry with bigsby, ( with neck repair) gigged with it for 20 years , $800, Rickenbacker 310 70's model, sold to buy the sg $350, swapped a prs mccarty and a prs satin for an alpine white gibson custom (the one in my pics) can I get em all back please ? lol

"Stupid is what stupid does" Yep, I'm still kicking myself with regret 10 years later.

Limited Block, ES 335 Flamed Red Solid Maple top, with Black Binding. [wub]

At the time I didn't realize what I had or knew how to handle the 16" body enough o play it right. ](*,)

Jazz,