Gibson Brands Forums

WORST Guitar Selling Mistake You've Ever Made?

rossington88

My guitars are like family, and I have never gotten rid of any of them except one. My first real guitar was a mid-70's walnut SG. Beautiful, played like a dream, but I was playing in a swing/jazz band at the time and it was just too rock and roll for those gigs. So I sold it and bought a 1968 ES-335. I love the 335, but I regret getting rid of the SG to this day. Wish I could have kept it, but I didn't have the bucks to buy the 335 without selling the SG. One of these days I'm going to get another one...

Indeed....

But at one time or another, we're all forced into a "Sophie's Choice" predicament.

[biggrin]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I've not yet replaced it, this one still "haunts" me! Although, my Gibby "Lucille" is

a Great alternative. I just loved that '68 (Cherry Red) ES-355 "Stereo" with Maestro! [crying]](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

This photo is NOT "My" old guitar, but it was exactly like the one pictured, except

mine was "stereo" like "Lucille":

cbd04b3196027b223f82a2efdd08a587_zps2rtpdu7r.jpg

[crying] [crying] [crying]

CB

• 1 month later...

I traded this Yamaha electric to a tree service company owner to remove a nuisance tree from my backyard. That was a really sweet sounding guitar and I regretted it immediately.

Last summer I removed about 23 trees in my backyard. Took me 3 weeks.

I wish I would have gotten 23 guitars for that.

Some guitars that I remember that were good but I sold them because I didn't have room for them anymore (I should have moved to a bigger place sooner) :

- red 1990 Gibson Les Paul Classic

- black 1987 Kramer Pacer

- green 1986 Fender Stratocaster

- black 1990 Fender Stratocaster with Floyd Rose

There were 10 or 12 more but those I do not regret..

• 9 months later...

I've been playing for 30 years and have owned at least a 15 or 20 guitars over time.

The only regrets I have for selling over the years are:

1. My second electric guitar, a 1990 Strat with deep red finish that with a gorgeous wood grain underneath, rosewood fingerboard, black pick guard, and Floyd Rose Originally Tremelo. Cost about a grand in 1990, I had to save up for a while my grandmother loaned me the last few hundred I needed. I sold it while in college for money to repair my car and pay it's insurance. This guitar was one of the best looking Fenders I've ever seen and looking back, I wish I'd started taking the bus or riding a bike instead of paying for a crappy car that only lasted a couple years.

2. A few years ago I picked up a 1971 SG from a co-worker who'd had it 20 years and needed $600. I knew I'd be able to get my money out of it and jumped at the chance to own a vintage instrument (one year older than me). It wasn't in perfect condition but had the best action and tone (P90's) I'd played up until that point. Almost felt like it almost played itself. This was my first Gibson and so I started learning more about the brand and other models, newer models, etc. I was very interested in the G-Force auto tuners that came out a couple years back and decided I'd unload my 1971 to help fund a replacement with a fancy 2014 that tuned itself......mistake. After a few days with the new SG, I was so sick of hearing those motors turning on and off to adjust the tuning, regret began to sink in rapidly. I ended up taking that SG back and buying a black Les Paul with gold hardware from the custom shop. Spent about 16x on my LP compared to what I had in my 1971. I miss that SG and shouldn't have sold it but my LP is so very sweet.

Postscript : How to part with a guitar and feel good about it.....

The first five years of my training were purely classical and have always had at least one nylon string guitar. Although I've upgraded a few times, my current classical is a Yamaha NXT700 (about $500), I always find it hard to part with an instrument before I'm comfortable and connected with it's replacement. I understand that there's no such thing as "having too many guitars" but I think that refers to a variety of guitars, not several of almost the same thing. After a few weeks or months with an upgrade, I realize I'll never play it's predecessor again. Resale on a used non-handmade-or-non american made classical is crap so instead of selling those, I donated them to my former high school guitar program and I am silently extremely gratified each time, hoping to help spark the fire and passion for a lifetime of making music for some kid that may not have otherwise had the chance due to drastic budget cuts for arts and music classes.post-80547-082615500 1487480840_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Nothing too painful here. I had an American Tele and a Reinhardt 18 watt head in cream tolex. The Tele was for sale and a guy came to buy it. We were talking about what each of us did for a living and his family had a business building and installing dual pane windows. I lived on a busy street so we made a deal. My wife loved the new windows and there was a blank space where a killer rig use to be.

Nothing too painful here.

About the same here. I sold an iconic Guild F412 but don't even regret it - the saddle was a bit low; I had the peg holes ramped; sold it for a little more than the good price I got it for. The JF30-12 I kept is an F412 without some of the bling; it's still got an ebony fretboard, and it's practically like it just came off the factory floor. So I got my 12-stringin' covered.

Archived