Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Mojo sound off

brannon67

Who here plays a J45 exclusively? You may own other acoustics, etc, but there is something about a J45(all models) that you love. What is it? Just curious. For myself, I now own 2 J45s, a newer Standard model I got 2 years ago, and the 10 year old worn in model I just picked up the other day. I also own a Larrivee 12 string, and a Martin M36, which I do love by the way, for something different to play sometimes. As much as I love the M36, I would have to say that the J45 is my main acoustic guitar, like the tele is my main electric, for the look and feel, and the pure mojo factor.

I agree. There is something special about a J-45. I have had numerous guitars come and go, but the J45 is my soul mate. I am in the process of getting down to one guitar, but so far I am down to just two. The 2012 Martin D-18 is also a great guitar. I actually think that it sounds better than my Gibson, but it lacks the mojo and awesome feel of the J-45.

I love my Martin D15m and Gibsons (J45TV and J50)a great deal. While most of the Martins gave me an American Idol feeling, my Gibbys sound like an old singer with a scratchy throat, perfect pitch though, with the nine-dimensional texture of a rocky mountain landscape. Oh plus whiskey :)

I love my Martin D15m and Gibsons (J45TV and J50)a great deal. While most of the Martins gave me an American Idol feeling, my Gibbys sound like an old singer with a scratchy throat, perfect pitch though, with the nine-dimensional texture of a rocky mountain landscape. Oh plus whiskey :)

You got it....

I originally got a J-50 because I wanted to see if a short scale guitar would be to my liking both in feel and in sound. I already knew that I prefered mahogany over rosewood so that part was predetermined. I found a 2006 model three years ago and I started playing it but it was so tight and new sounding that, although I liked the feel of the short scale the tone was not anywhere near my Santa Cruz D/PW. But as soon as the guys I play with saw and heard it they were unanimous in saying that the guitar was "just me". About six months ago a noticeable transformation in tone began, and as she opened up I began to get the full effect of that slope shoulder dread thing. I'd say that the thing I like the most is that low end thump when I reach for it and the way it supports my singing voice across all of the strings. So, I began to do some homework (mostly on this forum)as I wanted a Southerner Jumbo to compliment my J-50. Along the way I became intrigued with the earlier Bozeman J's and I read some things about the Early J-45's from '97 and '98; about how they were possibly something of a prototype to the TV series and about how they were light builds, which after owning and foolishly selling a Santa Cruz VJ, I think produces a superior acoustic guitar. Also, I figured that by 1997 Gibson Bozeman had eight years under their belt so they should be pretty dialed in. So, a '97 Early J-45 comes up on ebay a bit ago and I got it for a pretty good price and after discovering it had some issues that concerned me I got it for an even better price (the issues got resolved). I'm pretty much rotating between my J-50 and my J-45 at this point in time and the J-45 is really starting to find its voice in the last couple of weeks. It wasn't played enough before me to even have scratches on the pickguard so I expect even greater things out of her over the next couple of years. My two Gibsons have very different tones and I like both of them for what they do. And, although I know it should be all about the tone, I think a J series guitar is just about the prettiest thing in guitardom and I find myself leaving one out where I can just look at it regardless of the relative humidity. I know that most of you here know what I mean.

I've owned a lot of guitars, including some fairly pricey new ones and some delightful old ones. My primary guitar is a 2005 J-45 Historic Collection, because it just works better for how I play and what I sing than any other guitar, or combination of guitars. It has the thump, the tone, but there's also a breathiness to it some days that makes it the perfect accompanist's instrument. It'll do jazz, blues, folk of the revival, Anglo, Irish and neo- varieties, country, rock if I so desire. Not what I would choose in a larger group, not a bluegrass instrument, but PERFECT for the solo singer songwriter.

Who here plays a J45 exclusively? You may own other acoustics, etc, but there is something about a J45(all models) that you love. What is it? Just curious. For myself, I now own 2 J45s, a newer Standard model I got 2 years ago, and the 10 year old worn in model I just picked up the other day. I also own a Larrivee 12 string, and a Martin M36, which I do love by the way, for something different to play sometimes. As much as I love the M36, I would have to say that the J45 is my main acoustic guitar, like the tele is my main electric, for the look and feel, and the pure mojo factor.

I'm with you Brannon. I play my 60s J-45 (one in my avatar) in my band along with a Telecaster. The Gods were smiling the day those two instruments were created.

There's almost nothing better than a good slope dread. I have 8 at the moment from '43-'60 and I can't stop thinking about the next one! My luthier has my banner Maple J-45 and my beat up '47 J-45 and I can't wait to hear how they will sound when I get them back. He is just gluing the bridge plate and some braces on the banner so it might not be too long. He has to reglue just about everything in the '47 so it may be a while.

I could maybe almost probably again only a maybe, survive with just my J45 as an only.......it can do everything I ask of it, except be a vintage Gibson J45....

Seeing as I have worked out the Photobucket instructions for copying the (IMG code) only works on a P.C. and not my Macs - I have been posting lots of pics!

Here is a newer 2010 J45 Standard that was just polished with my recently arrived Virtuoso Polish.....

J45Guitar1a_zps63d56a4a.jpg

BluesKing777.

I'm obsessed with the sound of James Taylor's J-50 (essentially a natural finish J-45) in his first three albums, especially the "Mud Slide Slim" album. When I play some of JT's riffs on my 2011 natural finish J-45, sometimes I'm almost moved to tears. When purchasing the J-45, I A/B compared the J-45 with a Martin D-28: the Martin had better fit and finish, and a broader sound with cleaner deeper bass, something most guitarist would like, but the melancholy sound of the thuddy bass and tinkly highs of the J-45 moved my soul like no other guitar I've heard. I might buy a Martin D-28 series guitar in the future for playing conventional insturmentals, but the J-45 appeals to my darker, emotional side. I suppose mojo is a good word to describe it.

I only own 2 guitars, a J45 Standard and a Taylor Big Baby. Guess which one gets played more ? The Gibby is so perfect for what I use it for that I have no interest in even trying other guitars. I know that is dumb but it's true. I am done any guitar searching. I have what I need.

Gotta admit, my Larrivee has been awfully lonely since I picked up my J45. Something about that J45 keeps calling out to me. I remember the day I purchased it. I was in my local guitar store with no intentions whatever of buying another guitar when I saw a J45 that stood out from all the other J45's on the wall. I took it down and strummed and picked out a few lines and I was hooked. We were on our way to a family function so I left empty handed. 3 hours later I convinced my wife to leave the function early so I could go back to the store and pick up that J45. It's a Custom Shop Heritage Cherry Burst 60's limited edition and it has mojo coming out of the sound hole.

Don't know what I would do without it now.

I'm obsessed with the sound of James Taylor's J-50 (essentially a natural finish J-45) in his first three albums, especially the "Mud Slide Slim" album. When I play some of JT's riffs on my 2011 natural finish J-45, sometimes I'm almost moved to tears. When purchasing the J-45, I A/B compared the J-45 with a Martin D-28: the Martin had better fit and finish, and a broader sound with cleaner deeper bass, something most guitarist would like, but the melancholy sound of the thuddy bass and tinkly highs of the J-45 moved my soul like no other guitar I've heard. I might buy a Martin D-28 series guitar in the future for playing conventional insturmentals, but the J-45 appeals to my darker, emotional side. I suppose mojo is a good word to describe it.

Yeah, JT's J50 sounds really good. Love the tone, but I must admit, as much as I too love the J50, his Olsons sound awesome as well. Starting at 0ver $12000.00 I could never afford one.

Archived