Gibson Brands Forums

How's Yer Action?

SC_Wannabe

After playing for decades, I am still sometimes shocked at my lack of guitar knowledge. No joke. In all sincerity, I don't believe I have ever measured string height. I probably should, but I don't know what it would change for me. If I have a setup done I just tell them as low as it can go without buzzing. If I buy a guitar and the playability is perfect for me, it's likely I'll never change it. I don't know if one string is a bit higher than another, etc. So long as the guitar is easy on my fingers, I just play it. If I don't feel or hear something wrong, then I just go with it. Like what I suspect a few others do, I use light strings on my guitars now. Of course, that doesn't necessarily fix a problem. It might just hide it.......Anyway, good thread. One of the few on "string action" I think I've ever taken the time to read. It's still not likely I'll start measuring the height of my strings, but I might notice differences more.

I use those exact words with my tech, "low as it can go without buzzing". I'm going to have that carved on my headstone.

I ordered a colossi bone saddle for my j50. The action on my original salad was at 8/32 at the 12th fret on the low E. I sanded the colossi down to between 6 and 7/32nds. Any lower and the guitar loses its tone in the cowboy chords.

Do you mean 64ths or are you playin' a slide guitar?

I think the wear n tear perspective should always come second to player preference and comfort though, be it high or low, repairs and touch-ups are all part of the lifecycle of the ownership of the guitar. I must admit I don't like it too low myself, a hair or two under the factory setup is fine for me, so I'm definitely in the 'medium' region for action rather than low, the buzzin' from too low a setup gets on my wick quite quickly.

I like my action on the higher side. Like the fuller/louder sound produced when the strings are higher off of the soundhole...plus, on the fretboard, it gives some room to string bend lot as well as hammer on/pull off the strings. Also, lets me pluck each string a bit more with my right hand fingerpickin. Just my personal preference.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived