Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Artist

altaman

Hey all, I am a new member and have a question. I impulsively bought a beautiful Gibson Les Paul Artist 1980. She just came out and spoke to me, i played her a bit and fell in love. I know a bit from Wikepedia but would love some insight into this purchase. I paid $2300 at Elderly Instruments in Lansing Michigan. I think i may be coming down with a bit of GAS( Guitar Acquiring Syndrome) I would like to make sure that this purchase was a sound one. Thanks in advance for all your opinions. Pic to follow ..

Sounds very nice indeed - quite rare now, the Artist series were active with electronics by Moog - there was the LP, the ES and the RD. 3 extra switches for compression, bright, expansion. The controls are center-notched (neutral) for adding (boost) or subtracting (cut) the active circuit. It may also be that the compression works on the neck pickup and the expansion on the bridge one; my Les Paul book doesn't make that clear. Unfortunately they are not that well thought of by collectors because being active they need a 9v battery, and they are from the Norlin era....but never mind that, I bet its a very good guitar indeed - I'd like one! Congrats! And they would go for that figure in pounds sterling over here in UK.

Archived