Gibson Brands Forums

Thunderbird Pro passive wiring

Gaolee

My 'Bird is fretless, and it's time for more alterations. I'm looking for a wiring diagram that eliminates the preamp. I want it to be a passive bass, but I'm not sure how to wire it up without a diagram. Insights into whether the pots should be 500k, 250k or something else would be good. Same with tone caps. I can probably figure the rest out.

• 1 month later...

It is getting Lace Bass Bars. They take 250k pots and a .022 cap. I put similar pickups in a guitar and they work very well. They are dead silent in the guitar and sound like a cross between soapbars and Fender single coils, only without the noise. I expect the 'Bird will sound a bit like a Jazz bass with the new pickups, only with the kind of power and low end that a Thunderbird should have. I hope to finish wiring it up this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be so long to answer - they drop right in. I have a little more wiring to do, since the way I wired it didn't work quite like I expected. The pickups are a little different from what I was expecting, but they are fantastic. The bass sounds a whole lot like an upright now - warm, woody, and midrangey without the kind of twang a bass guitar often gets when it has a lot of midrange. It isn't growly or thumpy. If that makes sense, great, because it makes no sense to me reading it if I didn't already know what it sounds like.

Archived