Gibson Brands Forums

Grover locking tuners

Toolman

Hope somebody has an answer to this odd occurrence. The model in question is a 2008 standard model with the locking tuners made in 2010. I was changing strings tonight and the B string wouldn't tune up. It was slipping, so I checked the locking thumb-wheel to be sure I hadn't lost my mind and it was tight and the string was locked into place. Then I noticed the peg was much lower than the rest. I flipped the guitar over and noticed the worm gear was exposed. [confused] I pushed up on it and it went into place and I tightened the locking sleeve and thought it had just come loose no big deal. I proceeded tune up and I was watching the peg and it started coming back down again so I pushed up from the back side to keep it in place, then it tuned up. I just played it for an hour and it does stay in tune, as much as one can expect after changing strings.

Thought I'd take a break and ask here what the heck is going on. I have four of these guitars and this has never happened before.

Any thought's out there? Do I have a defective machine?

Tuner update, I called Grover directly this morning and explained the tuning peg issue slipping back out of the body. Chuck, says although rare, he has seen this issue before were an internal snap ring may be the fault. He said ship it to them and they will replace it. Problem solved.

Archived