Gibson Brands Forums

Taylor guitars

brannon67

I guess because they appeal to the non traditional crowd? Who knows. Just a different flavor of ice cream for folks who like it. Hard to imagine Hank Williams with a fancy cutaway taylor, but fits right in with a modern boy band. Yea that pretty much explains it after that vision.

Years ago I had a 400 series, and I liked it when I first bought it, but there was just something about it that did not fit me. Im not bashing Taylor, they are really great guitars, but not for me. Although, but for travel, sitting around, the GS mini, is not bad.

Years ago I had a 400 series, and I liked it when I first bought it, but there was just something about it that did not fit me. Im not bashing Taylor, they are really great guitars, but not for me. Although, but for travel, sitting around, the GS mini, is not bad.

I've been considering a baby Taylor for my daughter and for me to plink around on outside this spring myself. I kinda like the idea of a 3/4 guitar laying around instead of dragging my AJ outside with me.

I've been considering a baby Taylor for my daughter and for me to plink around on outside this spring myself. I kinda like the idea of a 3/4 guitar laying around instead of dragging my AJ outside with me.

Go GS Mini... pretty nice 3/4 guitar and a heck of a lot better in my opinion. I have one.

Yeah, I know what you mean, thats why Im considering the GS Mini for the same reason. I have a 10 year old well worn J45, but I still will not take it outside as a beater. Never will. Its a gigging guitar for sure.

The full description is metrosexual electric guitar players with girlie fingers.

Ya gotta love it. Nah, I know a couple of pretty good players who really know their way around a guitar and who favor Taylors. Just not my cup 'o tea I guess.

Well I certainly am not scared to take my Gibson outside and jam. It's my front porch pickin' guitar. I bought it to play not worry about. I'm disabled now and I'm home everyday so I sit outside on the porch a lot. Hard to sit out there without my AJ to strum on. I guess I just need an excuse to get my daughter something to beat on with me [biggrin]

Gibson is like Harley Davidson.....Taylor is like Honda.....One thing I can say about Taylor, their Necks have been PERFECT on every one I've ever played. Often low action, no relief and they STILL play flawlessly. Very consistent. But don't look for the Gibson Growl or thump in a Taylor, pretty thin sounding to my ear. Always a ton for sale on Craigs list, and eventually sell after a long time at a price WAY below the original sale price.Not my cup of tea.

One of my students has one of these, nice little guitar.

In large part, people tend to identify guitars with the other people they see playing them. If Taylor had been around as long as Gibson or Martin, they would probably be viewed much differently. In the end though, they're just guitars. They appeal to some and not to others. It seems that their tone is a love it or leave it type of thing, but overall they tend to be much more consistent than Gibsons and even Martins. Their build quality is also amazing, especially given the volume of instruments that they crank out and I respect them for that.

I personally have played a few that I've liked, and owned a 1997 510 that I thought was a really good guitar. But for the most part, I simply just don't connect with Taylors. Still, I do admire what they've been able to accomplish in the relatively short time they've been around. People can say what they want about Taylors, but there is no denying Bob Taylors' significance in the world of acoustic guitars.

You said that the Taylor tone/playability is a love it, leave it thing, and I agree with you. I also believe that it is true in any guitar, Gibson, Fender, Larrivee, etc. What is good for one person is not good for the other. I also agree Taylor is a major force in the guitar world. Bob and crew make some great guitars.

If Gibson is the Harley of the guitar world then National is the Indian of the guitar world. Brash, in your face, a suidcide clutch guitar if ever there was one, and as inconic as it gets.

Taylor is more like the Vespa of the guitar world. Sleek and polished but not alot of oomph between your legs.

Cool, Steve, Like I said, Im not knocking Taylor , they are fine guitars, and if you found one that you love, more power to ya brother. Awesome! Its great when we find that one guitar we love and bond with.

Cool, Steve, Like I said, Im not knocking Taylor , they are fine guitars, and if you found one that you love, more power to ya brother. Awesome! Its great when we find that one guitar we love and bond with.

Brannon - didn't say I loved it; just that it works fine. I only have one Taylor. I have a house full of Gibson guitars!

Steve

When looking for a little guitar, don't rule out the Little Martin. A friend just brought one around that had electronics in it and it sounded quite good for its little size and he's even used it for a couple guitar parts on his recordings for that unusual accent effect.

Taylors do attract electric guitar players who enjoy the fast neck. I've seen people who openly admit to disliking Taylors sit down with a good one and admit it's a nice guitar. It's just not for everyone.

Part of that is likely that it attracts the Weekend Warrior crowd of well-heeled doctors and dentists. Serious guitar people I've known head towards Martins, Gibsons and small labels. Even if they, too, are dentists.

I have heard people describe Taylor guitars as fashionable or METRO guitars. Whay is that? What would Gibson be? Just curious.

A local quote:

Martin: Bluegrass

Gibson: Blues, Country

Taylor: Sensitive metrosexual type, thingie music

]

The Taylor 814ce I traded was not thin sounding at all. It had a very scooped sound -- deep bass and crisp highs. I couldn't bond with the expression system, though. They are a brighter sounding guitar, but it depends largely on the model you play as to how "thin" sounding it is.

I have heard people describe Taylor guitars as fashionable or METRO guitars. Whay is that? What would Gibson be? Just curious.

By the way, as a reference point, lots people also call Gibsons complete crap, and worse.

The reality is, you'll find that Gibson and Taylor are both capable of building some great guitars that are played by an incredibly wide variety of people in all sorts of musical contexts.

Sometimes it's best to reach your own conclusions

Archived