Gibson Brands Forums

Martin New Authentics

JuanCarlosVejar

Its amazing guitar companies come out with reissues, New authentics, retro, etc models,and they jack the prices up right out of the gate. I will not bite, but Im not going to talk about anyone who has the money and wants them. To each his own.

I agree, just because a guitar is a TV model or whatever, doesnt mean its going to sound good. That goes for the real vintage stuff, the new/vintage stuff and the modern stuff. Thats why we try,play, listen to the guitars before we buy.

Dave,

I didn't mean to say I hoped it sounded a like vintage guitar ... I just don't like the sound ... I think you could get something better for 5 k

That wasn't necessarily directed at you JC. Martin just tries to market it that way, like its going to sound like a 70 year old guitar but it just ain't so.

JC

Yeah, its all a big misconception. People think just because it looks like an original, etc, then is going to sound like a well worn broke in true vintage(not reissue) guitar, and its just not so. Some may sound great, others may sound like trash. It depends on many factors.

You would think that with all the CNC stuff and technology out there it would easy as pie these days to reproduce guitars from past catalogs.

I guess the guitar makers ace up their sleeve is most of the folks buying these new versions of guitars from past catalogs have never been closer to an original than the pages of some magazine. I sure ain't spent enough time with a 1941 Martin D anything to be able to tell you how the Authentic compares to an original.

Best to judge them on their own merits rather than how they compare to some legendary guitar from 70 some odd years ago.

I think it sounded great. BUT it didn't sound one cent better than a HD28V I can buy for a lot less IMO. Plus if I want a vintage reissue guitar I want forward shifted bracing. When I think of a vintage herringbone I think of a 36' not a 41'

I think its like anything in the guitar world. There are some guitars that cost 5K or more, and sound awesome, then there are some that do not. There are some guitars that cost $300 and sound Awesome, and some that do not.It depends on many factors. Wood, construction, PU's (if any) etc. You never know if a 5K or a $300 guitar is going to sound good until you play it, and then again, we are all different, so what plays and sounds good to you, may not play and sound good to another. Like Epiphone Masterbilt, some say that many Masterbilts sound better then Gibsons. I dont know, some may, some may not. It depends....

Not sure that very short sound sample, fingerpicked with bare fingers, is the best way to show off the potential of a D-28. A dread box that big pretty much demands picks of some type if you want to hear it sing.

Since this is a Madagascar rosewood guitar, the price is going to be higher than its EIR analogue. If it is hide-glued and adi-topped, $5k doesn't seem ridiculously high to me. It's comparable to or less than a Luthier's Choice AJ with similar wood and features.

Depending on how good a repro it is, the price seems fair. Think of it as a Martin equivalent of the J-45 Legend, which is similarly priced.

And, no, it isn't going to sound like a 1941 'Bone. But it also doesn't cost $75,000.

Well I was talking about this particular example .

the Taylor GO 610 ( I think) TOny Polecastro demoed a while back would be a better choice for 5 k at least for me !

and I'm not a big taylor guitar fan (love the ukes they have been putting out as ltd editions !!!)

JC

But wait a minute..she is not playing that D28 anyway,

At the begining she is playing some sort of D18.

I have pretty much washed my hands of Martin in general..if you want a Pre War Martin in new, buy a Huss & Dalton (made in 2008-10).

There maybe no hide glue,TBar truss rod,diamond etc thats all just baloney, but it has the sound,light build & is made in a small shop situation.

Don't criticize Martin for taking out all those freakin compromizes build into those guitars.

This is how all those guitars should be built in the first place. And that build is more costly.

I think one can get the D18A for $4100 and D28A for $4800..if they are properly built thats what they should cost.

I've only tried one Authentic a D18 1937..and THAT is the Martin I wanted but couldnt afford when I was a kid.

This is how all those guitars should be built.

Id like one.

But those Madagascar ones are again, a lie. Its not Authentic.

Any way,before you know it, they will be doing these in the same old mass production way and sneaking in more compromise..

At the start it shows some guys at benches making them ala 1930's...That is such a con.

And this lady saying same family building them for whatever years..another baloney..

Of that hundreds of people in that factory,not one family member is making a guitar.They are only in the office..business guys,thinking how to implement compromises.

Just curious, not judging or trying to be an A$$, but what makes that guitar worth 5K to you?

sorry I got my Taylor numbers wrong ... It's the 918 I liked :

It costs a little bit over 4k .

I liked this particular sound better than what I heard in the Martin D 28 Authnetic Clip that's the main reason.

JC

sorry I got my Taylor numbers wrong ... It's the 918 I liked :

It costs a little bit over 4k .

I liked this particular sound better than what I heard in the Martin D 28 Authnetic Clip that's the main reason.

Cool....I will have to check that model out sometime.

JC

Am I missing something

i only heard about 10 seconds of a guitar being plucked...how can we make such sweeping statements about a guitar from 10 seconds of a youtube clip?

I also would not kick this guitar out of bed ,,,the 10 sec's actually sounded pretty good to me :P

But wait a minute..she is not playing that D28 anyway,

At the begining she is playing some sort of D18.

I think you are right, judging from the binding. Now I really am confused. Are there sound clips anywhere of the right guitar, or do we just take it all on faith? I'm a bit of an agnostic, in general.

• 4 years later...

I think it sounded great. BUT it didn't sound one cent better than a HD28V I can buy for a lot less IMO. Plus if I want a vintage reissue guitar I want forward shifted bracing. When I think of a vintage herringbone I think of a 36' not a 41'

I owned an incredible HD28V for almost 8 years. It was exceptional but it doesn't stand close to my D-28 Authentic 1941. The authentic just rings, resonates and comes alive in my hands. I feel the vibration from the gutiar through out my whole body. I also own a D-18 Authentic 1939. I've been playing for 44 years and these are hands down the best modern built guitars I've ever played. I've played many vintage Martins as well. Not everyone delivers the goods but I've played a few that stand above the authentics. 2 that I can think of are a 1935 D-28 that I couldn't afford if I sold my house and a 1953 D-28 Mystery top (Players condition) tha I should have bought but let it slip through my fingers.

Some compare the rear shifted bracing to the forward shifted saying fs has more bass but I don't find this to necessarily be true. My D-28A 41 has just as much bass as my HD28V but much clearer and punchier. The D-28A 37 has a bit more bass and is foward shifted but I found for my style just too much boom.

Archived