Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson, Martin, Taylor owners

brannon67

True. I have a J45, a Larrivee 12 string, and a Martin M36. I really like all of them for different tones and songs that I do. The J45 has the mojo, the Martin has a certain unique quality I love, and the Larrivee, well the Lariveee is a 12 string, so....

I play my Martin D-15 any time I leave the house to go to the beach, park, travel etc. I bought it used specifically for that and also don't want to take the Gibson's anywhere where they might get hurt.

I play the Gibsons when I want to record or am at home and want to play.

I play my Martin D-15 any time I leave the house to go to the beach, park, travel etc. I bought it used specifically for that and also don't want to take the Gibson's anywhere where they might get hurt.

I play the Gibsons when I want to record or am at home and want to play.

So do you gig at all, play out anywhere?

I've had Gibson, Martin, Taylor and Larrivees. I'm finding as I get older, I'm gravitating toward more of a balanced sound (mahagony) and away from scooped sound (Rosewood). To me, Gibson does the mid-range balanced sound the best, so I consider myself a Gibson guy more than the others.

My D18 Martin comes out for the Bluegrass Jams. The Gibson AJ is used for gigs and practice with my Jug Band group because I do a lot of finger picking with that bunch. Otherwise I try to play each one of the others at least once per week.

I sold my HD28 to buy the AJ because I just didn't play it anymore. It had the "P" neck and it was just not friendly to my older fat fingers. It was my only guitar for a lot of years, but when I got the D18 the 28 didn't get out much, anymore.

Rich

I have but four guitars, a Martin D-28, a Gibson L-00, a Huss and Dalton CM and a Guild D-40 CE. The Gibby is the newest, so it has received considerable play lately. When I gig, it's the H&D, which is hands down my favorite guitar. I still play the Martin and the Guild, but dreads fatigue me anymore and feel so bulky. Love the tone, but not the girth.

My four Gibsons get played a lot. Pretty equally. Love all four of them. I've got to say it---the J60 roars. Easily the loudest acoustic guitar I've ever played. The J150 rosewood is certainly a killer, but not on the level of the J60. My J45 and "the bird" bring me the warmth and mellow tones of mahogany, but the hummingbird is no slouch when it comes to making noise. I play the other eight guitars too. Not as much, but I enjoy them, so I'll likely keep them, or at least most of them. I usually try to play some banjo and dobro every 3-4 days, just to stay-in-touch with the techniques. Got some ukes also. I'll pick them up every couple of weeks. Same with the mandolin. Quite often I'll hear people saying they're getting rid of some guitars, etc. I don't know if or when I will. For now I can't see having only 5-6 guitars......Seems each time I've gotten down to 8-9 guitars I find another one I want. I just got the J60 a few weeks ago and now I'm looking for a better mandolin. Who the hell knows?.....lol....Maybe when I'm eighty I'll think about. I'll let you know in fifteen years. Right now I'm just having too much fun with all the instruments. [thumbup]

I have a 2005 Gibson SWD, that I use as an allrounder. I also have a Larrivee L-05 that I preferred over a Taylor GS-8 in the chime department. I'm currently in the process of buying a Martin dread (hd-28 or hd-28v or d-28 marquis) for the bass and depth. I also have a Breedlove AD 200 SM as a beater.

I find that the Gibson suits me best in the light strumming and flat picking department, the Larrivee is great for finger style (without nails), and the Martins re famous for taking heavy strumming and picking well. I also have a Breedlove, that has a different sound with scooped mids.

Cheers

H

I use to play my GS mimi as the living room acoustic, but now that I am trying to sing more I prefer the 2003 Hummingbird. Amazingly the Bird is a nice easy finger picking honey, but for jamming with others I have to use a pick for volume. For playing out I use the 2010 Bird she is a freaky loud guitar, not normal for a Bird (also has onboard pup). All unplugged of course. Pretty much only play through amps when recording.

For electric I keep a PRS SE in the living room, play her every day. For jamming with others I prefer my 89' MIJ Strat or the Gibby CC.

Since I got my J-50 three years ago I pretty much rotate between it and my newly acquired J-45. My Santa Cruz D/PW hasn't gotten much play at all in three years and I'm probably going to sell it this Spring as I've become pretty much a mahogany addict. My little Eastman ET5-SS is also in my playing rotation. It's my bow to an LG only it has an adirondack top and just about the fastest neck of any of my guitars. It is beginning to really open up now and has enough volume and headroom to keep up with anything else I own. My Recording King RNJ-25 has become my travel guitar so I only play it right before and during a trip. I do like the maple though.

I've become a "stay at home muscian" this past year and as a result I don't give any of my guitars the time they deserve now days, acoustic or electric! Shame on me. I keep telling myself it really is time to thin out and pick one special acoustic with which to be happy. Uh, easier said than done. So I just go through the lot as the mood strikes. I always find my old beat up square shouldered 70ies SJ at my side most often. Why that one and of that era I can never figure out myself 'cept that we have a bunch of miles and memories.

Steve

My j-45 is my only acoustic and I plan on wearing it out.

Then fixing it.

Then, wearing it out again.

Yep. I feel the same about my AJ. It goes outside or wherever I need a guitar and holds up just fine. I take all precautions to protect it but if I'm scared to take it outside and jam some bluegrass with the neigbors then I don't need it. I don't need a museum peice that is useless outside its protective bubble

I own Gibson, Kay, Harmony, Epiphone (pre-Gibson), and Guild guitars - all flattops except for one Kay Kraft round soundhole archtop.

I do not delegate the majoroity of my guitars to play in a particular tuning, for certain songs or whatever. Hate to sound lazy but I tend to grab whatever guitar is nearest. I guess the only one I favor for playing something specific is the Kay Kraft which is just a wicked little slide guitar. I would also say I have to be in a certain mood to play the Guild 12 string. But when I do reach for it, I play the same stuff on it that I do on the 6 strings.

Four Acoustics, pull them out one after the other pretty evenly.

One of choice of late is the Huss & Dalton DS Slope Braz/Adi.

Action is low but not too low and can really hear myself when I play with the guys.

Previously prefered Lowden Short Scale F Brz/Adi but in summer back bowed..and when I adjusted it, it went a little too much reliefy this winter.

Martin D42 adi/mad has had 5 frets at neck/body joint a little high which has been making thin strings buzz/dead..over all play that the least.

Gibson J200 lovely sound but raise at end of fingerboard still an issue.

I rotate through my Martins and Gibsons, large and small. Lately I find myself having more fun on the wider necked guitars like my Martin 0-16NY, 00-18G and Gibson F25N. But then again, I'm going through a fingerstyle phase. When the mood hits and I need to pick and grin again, it's the Gibson jumbos all the way.

I only have one play-able acoustic right now and that would be a 2010 Epiphone Texan, over all it's a better guitar then a Guitar Center Martin Special (it was DX some-thing or other) I had for a short while about 2 years ago. I would give about anything for a pre 1980's Martin 28, 18 or 45 but I wouldn't give a nickle for any of the newer one's. I never really liked Taylor's, I'm sure there are some nice one's out there but I've never found one I liked the sound of.

Archived