Gibson Brands Forums

S T R I N G S..

merseybeat1963

Give me some reflections on your strings & ones you've tried please.

Maybe some are ones Ive listed below.

I use Elixer .012 PB Nano which drive the guitar body better & feel softer that EXP's version which I used to use...but Im not happy anymore.

I think its time to go to .011's and I think the Elixer's get stiffer feeling as they sit on the guitar after a week or two tuned to 440.

So now I have my to try list..Ill probably order them all at once in multiples to try on my 4 acoustics.

*DR Sunbeam (.011's & .012's)

*Tomastic Infeld (Plectrum .011-.050 / Spectrum .011-.052)

*Ernie Ball Super Slinky / Earthwound .011-.052

*Newtone Masterclass double wound / Heritage

*Martin FX Flexible Core (.011-.052)...Am least optumistic about these)

Also am gonna try the Pure Nickle Gibson L5 strings on an acoustic either Martin or J200 as well.

I am really after rubbery feel..I cant fingerpick to save my life

And use Gibson 740XL Nickle Plated Steel(.009-.036) on elecs and Gibson L5 Strings on L5(I think those may be 10's)

The Sunbeams may be what you are looking for. They are roundwound instead of hexwound so are a little easier on the fingers and feel lighter than other strings of the same gauge.

The Sunbeam 12's are the default strings on my Gibson flat tops right now, and I like them a lot.

D'Addario EJ 16 PB 12's for my Hummingbird TV. Tried John Pearse PB 12's and wasn't a huge fan.

I tried JP/PB also and it did give me the rubbery feel the OP seeks. They yielded a really, really "warm" tone on my addi topped J-50.

I just put the Rotosound strings on my J-45 after reading about them on this forum. So far are my favorites for Rosewood or Mahogany acoustics. Clearly project and fingerpicking is great on them too.

Martin Lifespan 12 80/20 on the Gibson J-45

Martin Lifespan 13 80/20 on the SJ

Elixer Nanoweb 13 80/20 on the JB

Curt Mangan 13 80/20 on the Martin HD28

Curt Mangan 13 80/20 on the Martin CSN

I'm good with this lineup for now.

I have mostly used Martin Lifespans, Elixirs, and D'Addario PBs. I like them all a lot. John Pearse PB lights sounded awesome on my Gibsons for about two days. Then the Pearse ghost comes and robs all tone from the guitar it is on, as well as any musical instruments it happens to be near. Weird.

going through a similar exercise as you. one i would also add to your list is earthtones to see if you like them. their lights are 11's.

i really like the whole sunbeam thing but they are the only stings i get to fret rattle on some songs. read somewhere they have less tension which i would say is accurate.

going through a similar exercise as you. one i would also add to your list is earthtones to see if you like them. their lights are 11's.

i really like the whole sunbeam thing but they are the only stings i get to fret rattle on some songs. read somewhere they have less tension which i would say is accurate.

Ill look into those earthtones.

Must say the fret rattle sounds promising with DR.

And if I dig Tomastic Infeld on a guitar or two it'll be less costly thant Elixers across the board on all 4.

Ill probably try a J.Pearse as well.

I've been using Elixar 12's on my J45, but am looking for a change. Heard great things about the Martin Lifespan, so have got a set of 12's for the next change. (also a lot cheaper than the Elixar)

I was an Elixir 12's user for years until I tried the Martin Lifespan. Similar technologies, night and day from a sound perspective. I will not go back to the Elixirs again.

I was an Elixir 12's user for years until I tried the Martin Lifespan. Similar technologies, night and day from a sound perspective. I will not go back to the Elixirs again.

i too like the lifespans , no slippery feel that the elixirs have , and i think i'm into maybe fourth month which is unheard of for me as the elixirs seemed to break easier ... will buy more of these lifespans ... priced somewhere between your standard £5 a pack and the painfully priced £13 elixirs

Archived