Gibson Brands Forums

New Acoustic comes with.. wrong case?

streamlights

Hello forum!

Basically I registered here just to posit this issue to you all...

So I bought this guitar after playing it four about 5 minutes at a local shop, never heard of the model but it sounded fantastic so I bought it. "2008 1930's Original Jumbo Re-Issue" is what it's called on the certificate that came with it (a weird shock to me to find in the bottom of a guitar case),..

So the Orange Label inside says (amongst other things of course)

Style_________30's JUMBO____________

Gibson _____ "TRUE VINTAGE LTD" ____

THE CRUX OF THE ISSUE:

So when it was finally delivered home (by my beloved wife) I noticed instantly upon opening the case that the guitar does not fit!! Ive owned several Gibsons before and I've never seen a neck float above the neck-rest of the case by an easy 1" +. Heres the kicker... the neck moves while the case is in motion.... and the headstock bangs against the side of the case as I carry it around!! How can this be acceptable?? I've been in contact with Gibson customer service for nearly a month now but I can't get anything out of them. The Dealer I bought from seems to be making an earnest attempt to reach Gibson as well but to no apparent fruition..

So I have about 10 days left before I can return the instrument for one of equal quality (my eye's on a Martin D-18)... this money's an investment for me and I need a case that fits the instrument properly. I've got tons of pictures of everything (some under the link below), including the guitar and it's miss-fittings in it's case...

What I am asking is for this great forum to touch me a little wisdom, who's out there??

Where do I really stand on this? Do I have a leg or am I stuck with what I have? Is this even the real case for this instrument or was it somehow swapped along the way (2008 model bought in 2013)? Should I pester Gibson for quicker responses or trust they will quietly work it out? Wanna see more photos? Wanna hear some clips?? Let me know!!! I'm all ears guys and gals, this Veteran salutes any aid given. Hey thanks for reading!

Gallery of this Situation

Hello forum!

Basically I registered here just to posit this issue to you all...

So I bought this guitar after playing it four about 5 minutes at a local shop, never heard of the model but it sounded fantastic so I bought it. "2008 1930's Original Jumbo Re-Issue" is what it's called on the certificate that came with it (a weird shock to me to find in the bottom of a guitar case),..

So the Orange Label inside says (amongst other things of course)

Style_________30's JUMBO____________

Gibson _____ "TRUE VINTAGE LTD" ____

THE CRUX OF THE ISSUE:

So when it was finally delivered home (by my beloved wife) I noticed instantly upon opening the case that the guitar does not fit!! Ive owned several Gibsons before and I've never seen a neck float above the neck-rest of the case by an easy 1" +. Heres the kicker... the neck moves while the case is in motion.... and the headstock bangs against the side of the case as I carry it around!! How can this be acceptable?? I've been in contact with Gibson customer service for nearly a month now but I can't get anything out of them. The Dealer I bought from seems to be making an earnest attempt to reach Gibson as well but to no apparent fruition..

So I have about 10 days left before I can return the instrument for one of equal quality (my eye's on a Martin D-18)... this money's an investment for me and I need a case that fits the instrument properly. I've got tons of pictures of everything (some under the link below), including the guitar and it's miss-fittings in it's case...

What I am asking is for this great forum to touch me a little wisdom, who's out there??

Where do I really stand on this? Do I have a leg or am I stuck with what I have? Is this even the real case for this instrument or was it somehow swapped along the way (2008 model bought in 2013)? Should I pester Gibson for quicker responses or trust they will quietly work it out? Wanna see more photos? Wanna hear some clips?? Let me know!!! I'm all ears guys and gals, this Veteran salutes any aid given. Hey thanks for reading!

Gallery of this Situation

Beautiful guitar. My JB model case was the same.

It was the proper case. But with the cases they are made for a j45 type and the j45 is shallower towards the neck on the back side. There's probably cushion there pushing the guitar up. I don't anything can be done about it

You bought this new? (New Old Stock) I recall that the Original Jumbos had less taper in the depth of the body, that might be why the neck floats off the rest. But it makes no sense that the headstock is clunking around like you describe. I'd lean hard on your dealer to either help you secure the properly fitting case from Gibson, or to refund you enough money so you can track one down. Maybe its a case for a J-200? Is there a J-200 hanging on the wall? Maybe the dealer mistakenly sent your guitar off with a mismatched case? This case has to be from the Custom Shop - looks the same as the one I have for a 2012 Custom Shop Southern Jumbo. The depth of my case with the cover closed is 6 inches. There is a bit of extra padding underneath the shoulders - and the neck fits nicely in the cradle. Does the outside of your case say "Gibson Acoustic" ? Mine does. Looks like a very nice guitar - if you're happy with the guitar, I'd arm wrestle the dealer for $250 for you to find a new case.

I wonder if the interior color might be a clue - don't know what color the lining was in 2008. My 2010 J-45 is blue, my 2011 JB is burgandy, just like yours, as is my 2012 SJ.

Some of the Gibson factory fellas follow this forum, perhaps one of them will chime in, or try to contact you to assist.

Nice Guitar..

looks like the case is a bad fit though. Not sure what Gibson can / will do about the matter though. It's the dealers issue it seems to me. Even if the dealer is claiming this is the case the guitar came in..it is them that need to sort the matter out with Gibson.

I had dealings with Customer service last year and to be honest..it was a bit of a nightmare.. for me and my dealer. Luckily a Gibson employee chimed in here and got the matter sorted.. It was for a faulty guitar though.. not sure what the situation would be about a case.

If it is a True Vintage Model..every True Vintage I have seen comes with there own specially made cases..that are a higher quality than the standard cases..and cost significantly more...they are usually a brown colour with pink lining ...

Seems like you have the right guitar..if you bought it after just 5 mins playing.. would be a shame to give it up..but I too would want the correct case

good luck

EDIT

here is a link to another thread concerning differences in some Original Jumbo specs

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/95687-gibson-original-jumbo-question/

looks like the same standard case...and the OP noticed the the Pre War model has a uniform depth while other have a taper to the body..this is obviously;y whats causing the guiat to sit up in the case..as the case has a cushion to fit the taper

seems a pretty rare Model Gibson also ?... wonder if they actually had cases made to fit them ?..

you could remove the padding from the case in the taper area..this would solve the issue ...but not ideal.

If it is a True Vintage Model..every True Vintage I have seen comes with there own specially made cases..that are a higher quality than the standard cases..and cost significantly more...they are usually a brown colour with pink lining ...

I think you are right...that case should be brown with a pink lining....

I think you are right...that case should be brown with a pink lining....

Only thing is Wily

It seems these Pre War Original TV's where a limited run model..I don't think Gibson continued with these in the True Vintage... just pondering if it was a bit of an experiment and they never actually had cases made for them?

Thanks for the ideas fellas!

Here is a sound clip for y'all, recorded this morning on a laptop mic, warning!

We're looking at UNIFORM DEPTH here, which by Del Nilppenznef means it might be "prewar" type although those words appear nowhere. It has NOTHING on the back of the head stock, not a name or serial or logo.

It did say on the Certificate that it was one of less than 10 made in 2008.... along with "Historic Collection" as a subtitle...

It doesn't say "True Vintage" ANYWHERE on the certification but it says it right on the label inside the actual guitar, again I don't know what that means.

The case if you can't see the pictures has Burgandy interior,

It says: "Gibson acoustic" on the front and there is a combo lock.

The Dealer is a reputable boutique music shop (I'm very lucky to have) in my area, I'm hesitant to release the name, but it's small and the one acoustic-guitar sales-guy seems lackadaisical about really helping me... and yes the guitar was starting it's 5th year on the wall there so..

True Vintage is a marketing term Gibson came up with in 2007/2008

it denotes a way of building and finishing Gibson guitars..different from the Standard and other models. I think because your guitar is such a limited run..gibson may not have had cases specifically desiged for this particular model.

It is simply the cushion that will be making the guitar look like it is not resting on the neck rest when the case is open.( Because the case was designed for a tapered body ) If the neck seems to be moving still when you have the case closed..simply..slit the lining with a Stanley knife..and remove the cushioning from just below where the first neck rest/ string compartment starts.

i think you should be able to do this and still keep it quite neat..

The rest of the case is a good fit for that guitar...again it's not an ideal situation..but I think its your best bet..unless you want the dealer to supply another case

i would not count on Gibson doing this.

Del is right. You need to remove the foam padding in the bottom of the case under the treble bout, which is designed for tapered-body guitars. I'm not sure of the best way to do this, as you would ideally remove the liner in that area, remove the foam pad--which is probably glued to the wood of the case--then re-glue the liner back down. Ideally, you would do this without slitting the lining.

If there is a luggage repair place in your area, I might take it to them. Presumably, that's a TKL case, so you might call either Jeremy Morton at Gibson customer service (he's a regular on this forum), or TKL directly. They probably never built a case specifically for this guitar, and the untapered body is screwing up the fit. That looks like a higher-grade TKL case than the standard slope-J case Gibson uses.

True Vintage is a marketing term Gibson came up with in 2007/2008

it denotes a way of building and finishing Gibson guitars..different from the Standard and other models. I think because your guitar is such a limited run..gibson may not have had cases specifically desiged for this particular model.

It is simply the cushion that will be making the guitar look like it is not resting on the neck rest when the case is open.( Because the case was designed for a tapered body ) If the neck seems to be moving still when you have the case closed..simply..slit the lining with a Stanley knife..and remove the cushioning from just below where the first neck rest/ string compartment starts.

i think you should be able to do this and still keep it quite neat..

The rest of the case is a good fit for that guitar...again it's not an ideal situation..but I think its your best bet..unless you want the dealer to supply another case

i would not count on Gibson doing this.

Del is right. You need to remove the foam padding in the bottom of the case under the treble bout, which is designed for tapered-body guitars. I'm not sure of the best way to do this, as you would ideally remove the liner in that area, remove the foam pad--which is probably glued to the wood of the case--then re-glue the liner back down. Ideally, you would do this without slitting the lining.

If there is a luggage repair place in your area, I might take it to them. Presumably, that's a TKL case, so you might call either Jeremy Morton at Gibson customer service (he's a regular on this forum), or TKL directly. They probably never built a case specifically for this guitar, and the untapered body is screwing up the fit. That looks like a higher-grade TKL case than the standard slope-J case Gibson uses.

The thing is, there was an earlier run in 2007, 24 made, same dimensions, in fitted cases:

DSC08490.jpg

NOTICE how the walls of the inner compartment are tall enough to reach the neck and support it.

Call me crazy, but I think it's just ridiculous that any customer should resort to hacking away at a multi-grand instrument's case to get them to fit. I'd rather exchange it for a Martin than cut up the original case.

I agree with others - returning a guitar you really like because of the case does not make a whole lotta sense.

I also agree that if Gibson is doing a linited run it would probably make no sense for them to contract with TKL to make them a short run of cases. If I were them I would go with one that was the closest fit as possible. Also, the padding will eventually take on more of the guitars shape as time goes on and the guitar might start fitting better.

If you end up buying a case what you could do is go to the Sweetwater site and use their case finder.

The thing is, there was an earlier run in 2007, 24 made, same dimensions, in fitted cases:

DSC08490.jpg

NOTICE how the walls of the inner compartment are tall enough to reach the neck and support it.

Call me crazy, but I think it's just ridiculous that any customer should resort to hacking away at a multi-grand instrument's case to get them to fit. I'd rather exchange it for a Martin than cut up the original case.

that is indeed the correct case for a True Vintage model

Now whether you guitar was shipped with this case and has become parted with it..or if it was shipped with the current case is going to be hard to ascertain ! ( given it is 5 years old )

Did you get the guitar for a good price?

do you like how it sounds and feels?

are you willing to give it up because the case is not exact fit ?

Its your call... as Zomby says..the foam will mold to the body in time...ie: become compressed..and probably make an even snugger fit

i can not see how the neck would move about when the lid is closed though..as it will have to be resting against the neck rests ..to close the case.. anyway I too would be a little miffed..but if I liked the guitar..i could live with it..( and would probably remove the foam )

Beautiful guitar, I really like the OJ reissues.

Go talk to the dealer, see if you can get a couple hundred dollars refunded and then go find a case that fit's right for you.

I certainly wouldn't return a guitar I liked based on the case not fitting correctly.

Beautiful guitar, I really like the OJ reissues.

Go talk to the dealer, see if you can get a couple hundred dollars refunded and then go find a case that fit's right for you.

I certainly wouldn't return a guitar I liked based on the case not fitting correctly.

Good Idea....I think those brown casea are over $300 from Gibson dealership, factory can't sell directly

CONCLUDED!!!!

So after reading all yer talk about this situation being the Dealer's realm, I decided to pay them a visit this morning.

I had the poor guy searching the back room for maybe an hour for a case that would fit and LO AND BEHOLD: A case (exactly like the pink/tan one posted above) with a tape label reading "30s jumbo" on it... and 2008, same year they received my instrument.... the tape has the wrong serial number which makes me think there was a slip up somewhere along the way.

But it fits!! It fits like a dream baby. Thanks for all your input.. it gave me the gumption to throw my weight around at the Dealer!

Continued Success,

Streamlights

Archived