Gibson Brands Forums

New electronic tuner....

onewilyfool

I use this on my "gigging" guitar so I can leave it on all the time. Works really great, unobtrusive, simple to use......I mean, still love my SNARK, but this one is very convenient for gigging...

Planet_Waves_NS_Mini_Headstock_Tuner_sm_zpsb7ccbcf9.jpg

what is the name of the brand?

Moose

I bought one when they first hit the market, then bought another cuz I grew tired of trying to find which guitar I left the one I had on..

the newer one has a tricolor LCD and you can reverse the display 180 degrees so you can mount it on top of the headstock too.

They are pretty cool tuners, and certainly do the job.

More convenient than a snark or equally so?

These are all quite convenient.. Turn your volume knobs to zero, tune up, and off ya go, the PW is small enough where it's just never in the way IMO.

almost invisible unless you're situated in a players position, and it is small enough where it can just remain on the guitar.

But here, I suppose it depends on the person I guess, I think the tuners like the Snark and Peterson clip (arguably the best of all) on are a bit big and clunky.

Oh -- One thing for those of us with Gibsons to be aware of - ESPECIALLY a new one, rubber contact points and typical Gibson issue with nitro rules apply. If you cut a small piece of fabric and put the fabric where the tuner will attach itself, should be A-Okay.

I agree on this Planet Wave Mini Tuner tuner. Real easy to use, accurate, small. If you can find them on sale, they can be bought at a good price. Musicians Friend had a special where you could get 2 for $25 if you had another purchase. My only complaint (and it's not a big deal) is that the clamp that holds it on to the guitar is not spring powered. It's plastic, and the clamp can be a little difficult to slide open/close to the tension you need. Sometimes the plastic sleeve is hard to move and I think it will break. However, that just takes some getting-use-to and in reality is proving to be pretty sturdy.. Besides, springs eventually break. Anyway, definitly a nice tuner. Got two and I'll likely pick-up a couple more.

IME.. give or take -- maybe 7 to 8 months. if you're good about shutting it off instead of letting the auto shut off time expire, you maybe sequeeze more time out of a single battery

auto shut off I think is 5 or 10 minutes..

about the "clamp" yea, that takes a bit of getting the knack off, you have to put pressure on the bottom lip with the finger of one hand, then pull up on the top lip, then it will release pretty easily.

I can do it with one hand, but yea,, it's a little clumsy

I haven't broken one yet tho.. [thumbup]

one thing I thought I would add. I have a Peterson VS-1, (insanely accurate) and if I compare tuning with that to tuning with the PW mini, pretty much dead on,, so it's pretty accurate, but, it doesn't have the temperament tuning the Peterson does, (this is where the Peterson will probably "sound" more in tune to most ears if you select the Guitar temperament setting. (shits the B string just a few cents to compensate for the imperfection from the G to B sting in standard tuning.)

By no means tho, a major issue, just more or less of a personal observation I've noticed.

Recently when my old tuner gave up, I tried everywhere for one of those - no dice - I guess I will have to give the delivery van a bit more practice....

I am not keen on the ones on the headstock - look what happens after a while:

http://www.garysguit...t/GIA0413_0.jpg

I saw one of these TC Electronics Polytune and took it home:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/polytune/

I also have the same tuner in an iPhone app for my nylon string which is the only guitar I have without a pickup, but normally I like to be able to tune my guitar by sight only - probably goes back to old dark stage tuning habits.

I really like the tuner, but of course the PW one is now a needful thing....

BluesKing777.

I own the Planet Waves tuner as well as a Boss Clip On. Both are reliable and function quite well, but as I am a card carrying member of the GAS Society I was driven to place an order for the StroboClip by Peterson through Stew-Mac. The StroboClip arrived today in it's fancy silver canister. After experimenting with it most of the afternoon I have to admit, it is as good as advertised. Looks like the other 2 tuners will be looking for new digs.

I own the Planet Waves tuner as well as a Boss Clip On. Both are reliable and function quite well, but as I am a card carrying member of the GAS Society I was driven to place an order for the StroboClip by Peterson through Stew-Mac. The StroboClip arrived today in it's fancy silver canister. After experimenting with it most of the afternoon I have to admit, it is as good as advertised. Looks like the other 2 tuners will be looking for new digs.

so ... the guitar is more tuned than before ?

i'm interested in these things from someone who isnt trying to sell them

As a Peterson Stroboclip user for the last three months; I'm never going back.

$80 for a tuner?! CAN'T be worth it!

If you use a capo on even the occasional song you play, you'll be surprised by the effect of the "sweetened" tunings. You never have to adjust the strings to get the sound "just right" as you move the capo up and down the fretboard. Indispensable in a live environment, as it's less time adjusting your guitar while the audience waits.

Forget your Snarks, Korgs, Planet Waves, and Apex.

Stroboclip, baby. Stroboclip.

It's like when you think the girl you broke up with was the best thing ever; then you find someone better and go "What the heck was I thinking about dating her?!".

If you use a capo on even the occasional song you play, you'll be surprised by the effect of the "sweetened" tunings. You never have to adjust the strings to get the sound "just right" as you move the capo up and down the fretboard.

this is absolutely TRUE!

so ... the guitar is more tuned than before ?

i'm interested in these things from someone who isnt trying to sell them

The difference for me is the way that certain chords will have strings that produce a flatter or sharper note when I used the other tuners or tried to tune by ear. Yes, eventually I would find the sweet spot when fine tuning by ear but the Peterson makes the entire process more efficient with little room for error. If you play with a capo at all you will notice a big difference in the sound of your chords. I have used everything from a tuning fork to most tuners on the market but there is little argument against the quality and accuracy of the Peterson products, they've been used by luthiers and musicians for decades with nothing but praise. I'm just happy to finally own one.

The difference for me is the way that certain chords will have strings that produce a flatter or sharper note when I used the other tuners or tried to tune by ear. Yes, eventually I would find the sweet spot when fine tuning by ear but the Peterson makes the entire process more efficient with little room for error. If you play with a capo at all you will notice a big difference in the sound of your chords. I have used everything from a tuning fork to most tuners on the market but there is little argument against the quality and accuracy of the Peterson products, they've been used by luthiers and musicians for decades with nothing but praise. I'm just happy to finally own one.

Interesting - I wanted a Strobo but couldn't locate one here in Aust, so I guess I will have to give the delivery man more practice - I want one!

If I used a capo on 2 or 3 songs then went back to normal strings, I guess a quick tuning tweak would be needed?

BluesKing777.

Interesting - I wanted a Strobo but couldn't locate one here in Aust, so I guess I will have to give the delivery man more practice - I want one!

If I used a capo on 2 or 3 songs then went back to normal strings, I guess a quick tuning tweak would be needed?

BluesKing777.

Not so that I've noticed yet.

Archived