Gibson Brands Forums

B and G strings CONSTANTLY going out of tune!!!!!

palong81

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can give me some help. I'm hoping it's just because it's a new guitar, but I just got a Gibson SG split coil yesterday. The B and G strings go out of tune almost as soon as I strike the strings. The low E has even started doing this!! Is this common among newer guitars? I would hate to have spent all that money on a quality guitar and have some of the issues I used to have with my older crappier models. Any suggestions, tips, or tricks? Thanks in advance!!

1362869470[/url]' post='1342110']

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can give me some help. I'm hoping it's just because it's a new guitar, but I just got a Gibson SG split coil yesterday. The B and G strings go out of tune almost as soon as I strike the strings. The low E has even started doing this!! Is this common among newer guitars? I would hate to have spent all that money on a quality guitar and have some of the issues I used to have with my older crappier models. Any suggestions, tips, or tricks? Thanks in advance!!

This might be a problem with your intonation. A guitar that is tuned can sound fine until you hit a chord If the intonation is not correct. I've seen guitars in stores that have not been set up correctly and they sound terrible until the intonation is right. Also, if the nut is binding you will have problems. You might try checking for binding and lubricating the nut..

I just experienced a similar problem with my LPDC. I loosened the "G" and rubbed candle wax over the nut. Problem solved. This guitar is 5 years old and has only been played maybe a dozen times. So its like brand new. I have to do the same thing with my J200 when I change strings. The "G" is wound and always hangs up in the nut. A little wax and its ready for Freddy.

If it is "going out of tune" and not just "sounding out of tune" when you fret a note, try lube first. I have experienced this on my 08 LP Studio when I first got it. The problem was fixed with a little Graphite lube in the nut slots. Only a few $. I add new lube with each string change. .

If it sounds in tune when played open but out of tune when fretted then it needs a good set up. Free if you know what your doing. If it is a recent purchase the store you bought it from may do it for free. I know GC will.

On my Epi it sounded out of tune when fretted and went out of tune after each bend. I had to replace the nut and bridge to fix it. Good luck.

Since this is a new guitar and presumably, new strings, sounds like they are just stretching and will settle in eventually the more you play/stretch them. After changing strings I grab them one at a time and pull up on it few a times. speeds up the settling in time a lot. and by all means lubricate the nut slots. I do this before putting a set of strings on but you can do it by loosening the string enough to move it out of the nut slot and rubbing some pencil graphite into the slot. This advice is of course barring any mechanical reason for the tuning issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips guys! It is still doing it. Horribly! I got it from guitar center so I may see if they can fix it. I'm afraid to do anything myself as it's the first quality guitar I've ever had and I'm scared I'll screw something up...

Also, I typically tune to c#, I tried tuning standard and it's flawless tuning no matter much I bend the strings....

If you said that it sounds "flawless" when you are in standard tuning I believe you may need to try lighter gauge strings if you are going that low. What gauge are you using now. Let's see if anyone else chimes in.

Thanks for all the tips guys! It is still doing it. Horribly! I got it from guitar center so I may see if they can fix it. I'm afraid to do anything myself as it's the first quality guitar I've ever had and I'm scared I'll screw something up...

Being new, don't do anything with it to protect your warranty, plus you should'nt have to in the first place.

The nut is a notorious problem with new guitars. Some need to be filed out just a touch, others need a new one. Other possibilities are needing a good set up and intonation adjustment.

Hope things get straightened out for you.

try grabbing and pulling each string tight away from the guitar [ watch not cut your hand ]

DO NOT pull the strings straight up off the neck, you run the risk of serious neck or headstock damage (or breakage). Stretch the strings SIDEWAYS with a normal string-bending playing motion.

the strings have to be wound tight round the tuner posts.

Three wraps around the tuner post is all you need. Too many and the string can continue to "stretch" within the abundance of extra wraps, too few and the string can "slip" through the anchor hole.

Strange problem on a new guitar, but try grabbing and pulling each string tight away from the guitar [ watch not cut your hand ]

the strings have to be wound tight round the tuner posts. Then retune the guitar.

Yeah, but, he's tuning down to C#. The guitar stays in tune when he tunes to E. Maybe he should be changing the gauge of his strings.

Ok NEWBIE,

Let me get this straight. If you tune to standard tuning (EADGBe), the guitar will stay in tune no matter what? Correct?

If you tune down half a step or a whole step does it do the same? Stay in or out of tune?

If the guitar really only goes out of tune when in drop C#, I may be inclined to think that the strings get looser and are easier to be influenced by the magnetic pull of the pickups. This is a common problem when you get pickups too close to the strings. Try lowering both pickups some and try again to see if tuning is an issue.

If "Drop C#" is your usual tuning, as mentioned, lower the pickups...and/or try strings of a higher=heavier guage.

If you're using 9's, go to 11's, or 10's, go to 13's, etc. Light guage strings, in Drop D or C# tunings

get really floppy, and even fretting them will make them go out of tune, easily. Heavier strings will

get you back to the proper tension, for those lower tunings, and you'll have less "fretting" issues, as

well. Don't forget the nut, either...heavier strings may need some nut slot adjustments, as well.

Cheers,

CB

I've had to change the strings on every new guitar. They just don't wind the strings enough times from the factory.

I read in one of the Dan Erlewine books that Gibson's standard method of stringing NEVER locks the strings at the post. So there is always room for slippage.

Loosen those strings a good bit and make sure your tuners are well attached to the headstock.

Newe guitars are like wild horses, ride on! It will take some time before it goes your way.

Also, try to lube those tuners with a little bit of grafite, it can be from a pencil or the

very same powder used to lube keys and other hardware (solid lube). You could use the opportunity

and put a little of it at the nut grooves and the bridge, can't do no harm. Just try not to

make a mess. No, it won't stain.

Just don't use it to lube pots or electronics as its a great electricity conductor as well, use

it wisely.

• 3 weeks later...

Since this is a new guitar and presumably, new strings, sounds like they are just stretching and will settle in eventually the more you play/stretch them. After changing strings I grab them one at a time and pull up on it few a times. speeds up the settling in time a lot. and by all means lubricate the nut slots. I do this before putting a set of strings on but you can do it by loosening the string enough to move it out of the nut slot and rubbing some pencil graphite into the slot. This advice is of course barring any mechanical reason for the tuning issue.

This!