Gibson Brands Forums

B and G strings CONSTANTLY going out of tune!!!!!

palong81

I've been playing for over 40 years. My band DUNGAREE DOGS NYC was hot in NYC from 2003-2010. I am super anal when it comes to tuning, especially since we are a three piece band with me as Guitarist and lead vocalist. If my tuning is out it throws our whole sound off.

I use American Fender Telecasters as my main axes for playing out. Fender has a much better design with the strings remaining straight from bridge to machine heads, plus no bend deck angle of the headstock. So Teles and Strats (if properly set up) tend to stay in tune far better. Fender also uses a very thin nut as opposed to Gibson's chunkier nuts.

I have always had problems with my Les Paul's tuning and the 2011 American SG 60s Tribute I just purchased goes out of tune continually (The intonation is spot on and the neck adjusted properly. The weird thing is that the strings seem to go out of tune Sharp.. I loosened each machine head and pulled each string out of the nut and used a high quality pencil to put graphite in each rut. Seems to have helped a bit. But I might just install a new "Bone" nut and file the grooves properly to work with my gauge strings. The nut from the factory seems to be cut for very light strings .08 or .09s.

Gibsons sound beautiful, but are always troublesome with regard to tuning.

Good luck. Stay safe and be well.

1) Is it you?  It is possible to slightly bend strings when you think you are aren't such that it sounds out of tune.  Just make sure the problem is not you before you start fixing things on your guitar that maybe do not need fixing.

2) The strings: if new, you need to let them break in a bit (by playing them) even after the initial stretching.  Having to initially (and repeatedly) re-tune after putting on new strings and stretching them  is not unusual  If old, going out of tune is the first sign that you need new strings.  If off-brand, strings can go out of tune just because they suck.  It is exactly for that reason I only use D'Adarrio  (going with what works for me; 10-46 for my Les Pauls, and 9-42 for all else).  There are of course other quality brands as well, but stay away from the cheapies whose names you don't know.

3) The intonation: A perfectly in-tune guitar can sound horribly out of tune in certain areas of the fretboard if not intonated correctly.  Make sure properly intonated.  This is super important no matter what.  Having a properly setup/intonated guitar is what can make a cheap guitar seem awesome.  And to the contrary, a bad setup/intonation on an expensive guitar can make it seem very meh.

4) Use some sort of guitar lube on the nut and the saddles (where the string makes contact).  You should do this every time you change strings to every guitar (at least I do).  I use "GraphitALL", but there are many excellent alternatives.

17 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I hope the problem got resolved this thread started in 2013.

Don't we all? 

The 18:1 Grovers on my new Standard are inordinately stable, btw. Which is good for me, and the nachos I cohabitate with. 

20 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Do you put the jalapeno's on your nacho's?

Actually, I haven't had nachos for quite some time, but jalapenos go well with nachos. 

Hmm... I miss Beavis and Butt-Head (Beavis liked nachos). Too bad I don't have whatever streaming service it was the new movie is coming to. 

28 minutes ago, Pinch said:

I do have ground meat in the freezer and taco seasoning though. Broadening my horizons tonight. 

hey there...  don't ya know.. you can't have tacos on Monday,, it just aint right,  Tuesday,, that's the night...  

and if I had a nickel for every nut on a Gibson SG or Les Paul I fixed with a  nut file a wee bit  of big bends nut sauce,  I'd have a lot of nickels...

Edited by kidblast