Gibson Brands Forums

fantastic acoustic playing

blindboygrunt

Seen this before, he's quite handy eh?

There's a few Tommy E tunes / clips I think are pretty brilliant technically, but the majority of it is not for me, same with Chet and other pickers too, cool skills, not so fussed about the music sometimes... on the up side, even if you don't like this sort of music he looks like the kind of fella who couild give you a dealers number if you needed one.

A portrait of the sea ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Loved every minute – the guy have the feel over virtuosity and plays wonderful notes, , , melodies, , , , music.

Liked the way he integrates anglo-saxon jigs or whatever in those storms and calms –

Hippie, , , yes, but there is cups and bowls of river-dance or folklore in there for sure.

Can't express how much I admire this performance.

As a mind experiment, it would be fun to know how good he was after a year of playing back then. Approx. where I am after 4 decades, one presume.

Thanx for posting -

Strange... looks like an 11-string guitar, one bridge pin and one tuning key is missing, the octave G-string?

EDIT: Yep, at end at credits, it says "11-string amplified/acoustic guitar." Guitar sounds good, very clean sound. I wonder why it's not 12.

This track below was a big hit around Aust 3 or 4 years back - it was just everywhere - including, I think I remember, as a lead-out to a break during the football telecasts....great catchy tune though..

He was one of the Alt-Rock guys using an acoustic guitar through electric guitar amps and pedals.

BluesKing777.

this isnt my cup of tea at all , i tend not to listen to instrumental peices and i cant stand tommy emmanuel or any of that carry on , but i thought this was rather brilliant

theres no gibson

I definitly admire this guy's talent. Wish I could do it. I'm not really a big fan of his kind of music, but talent is talent and he's got it.

I definitly admire this guy's talent. Wish I could do it. I'm not really a big fan of his kind of music, but talent is talent and he's got it.

yeah , thats pretty much the way i felt ... i was as much moved by the music as i was in awe of his talent and spirit coming through ..... usually i do a murph when they start tapping , the music usually suffers for the sake of someone showing off

There's a phenomenon called burden of virtuosity.

If you are a virtuoso it's an artistic challenge you have to take up not that I know from personal experience, of course.

I don't know any of this players other material and don't listen to this kind of music in my daily life. Closest I've come is Pat Metheny and his orchestra and few others of those cats. Still as said the mister Butler above blows my mind, , , not least with his storms.

Guess they are the reason he doesn't drive the second chiming G-string*. Super thin as it is, it would burst any minute all the time.

*Btw. the seventh string on the Martin Roger McGuinn the one that adds the Byrds flavor.

It's clear to me that Angus Young, Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, etc... all heard this style and took some of it to their own work. It is extremely expressive and warrants exploration. I wouldn't listen to it exclusively but I do make time for it.

Archived