Gibson Brands Forums

Aaron Lewis SJ Discontinued?

45slinger

Been looking for an SJ to go with my J45, and it seems like the Aaron Lewis model is out of stock everywhere. Has Gibson discontinued it? I know it was more of a vintage inspired model, but it seemed like that was the closest I could find to a Southern Jumbo 'Standard'.

signature guitars eh ?

i can only assume that its a part of marketing i dont understand , although theres lots of press releases when jackson browne , shertl crow or whoever the next one is gets their guitar with a name ....

but theres folk who wont buy something because it has for example aaron (who's he?) lewis' name on it ... anyone who would get it because of him would be a fan and know what the guy plays anyway ... just call it a southern jumbo (withwhatever specs)

anyone in marketing explain why the celebs get named guitars ? tradition ?

signature guitars eh ?

i can only assume that its a part of marketing i dont understand , although theres lots of press releases when jackson browne , shertl crow or whoever the next one is gets their guitar with a name ....

but theres folk who wont buy something because it has for example aaron (who's he?) lewis' name on it ... anyone who would get it because of him would be a fan and know what the guy plays anyway ... just call it a southern jumbo (withwhatever specs)

anyone in marketing explain why the celebs get named guitars ? tradition ?

I came extremely close to not buying my s crow sj solely because of her name on the orange label. My ears told me the truth but my head was resisting. In fact im sure the guys in the shop were surprised to see me buy it probably thinking my body language and insistance on trying every guitar there 3x so i could somehow talk myself out what i knew. Not buying that guitar would have been a real mistake. At this point, Gibson could come out with a bobo the clown signature model and if it sounded like my sj I'd buy it no debate and no questions asked. I'm glad I got past my insecurities....

Now if it had her signature emblazoned on the 14th fret, well not sure how that would've turned out ;)

I came extremely close to not buying my s crow sj solely because of her name on the orange label. My ears told me the truth but my head was resisting. In fact im sure the guys in the shop were surprised to see me buy it probably thinking my body language and insistance on trying every guitar there 3x so i could somehow talk myself out what i knew. Not buying that guitar would have been a real mistake. At this point, Gibson could come out with a bobo the clown signature model and if it sounded like my sj I'd buy it no debate and no questions asked. I'm glad I got past my insecurities....

Now if it had her signature emblazoned on the 14th fret, well not sure how that would've turned out ;)

I was the same with the Aaron Lewis. Never heard of the guy when I came across the guitar but instantly was blown away by the tone of the guitar. Since then Ive grown to appreciate Aarons music (not the latest album) but it had no influnence on me when i bought the guitar, and first thing I did was replace the AL photo truss rod cover to a standard one.

I was the same with the Aaron Lewis. Never heard of the guy when I came across the guitar but instantly was blown away by the tone of the guitar. Since then Ive grown to appreciate Aarons music (not the latest album) but it had no influnence on me when i bought the guitar, and first thing I did was replace the AL photo truss rod cover to a standard one.

Last time I looked, Musicians Friend still had the TVSJ in stock.

Exactly. I like the guys music, but not enough to buy a guitar solely based on his endorsement/name. As far as I know, Gibson doesn't make a commonly available Southern Jumbo in th e True Vintage vein, so this is about it. I've played a couple and both of them were fantastic instruments. In all honesty, if I can track one down, it will probably be getting a plain truss rod cover as well.

Archived