Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie, sort of...

yel911

Hi fellow Gibson addicts.... I just purchased a Les Paul Classic 60 reissue and feel giddy.

I was surprised to see that the forum still logged me in, since I sold my SG, I haven't been here in years!!

Anyways, I have so many questions... I did some research before I bought the guitar, but 2 things really bother me.

1st thing, the pick-up were changed to Semour Duncan's... 2nd, the "Gibson" decal feels rough to the touch. Is this normal?

I have the serial number as 006552 and it came up as " made in between 1990 and early 2000's. Does that seem strange?

No exact date? I would like to replace the pick-up with what belongs if possible. Other than that, I'm one happy boy!!!

Wow! Nice plain-top! One of those guitars with greenish fretboard inlays. If You could make a shot of the headstock, we will be able to tell if everything is OK.

I can't see it clearly: is the pickguard engraved with "1960" script?

Post pictures using Photobucket or Google+. The attachment space is limited.

Cheers... Bence

So, I noticed something that bothers me. I cleaned the guitar and re-strung it. I plugged it into my amp to find that it has noise coming through the amp!! Like it's not grounded. I removed the cover and after trying to find some info online, that pots might not be grounded. Is the supposed to be a wire that goes from pot to pot? I'll need to get a pic of the cover removed.

Pick up issue solved. It was a cold solder joint. I stopped by Guitar Center and talked to the repair guy. He mentioned a few things that it could be, then the cold solder joint possibility.

From what I found online, all was good, I figured what could go wrong by reflowing the solder joints. Bingo!! I plugged the LP into my amp and couldn't believe I fixed it!!! Thanks for the input!!! I hope to contribute to the forum like you guys do all day. Thank you!!

Archived