Gibson Brands Forums

J45 or J50 or SJ

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum so please disregard my ignorance. I've just recently aquired an old attic find. I am pretty sure it is one of the aforementioned styles, but I am not sure which one. This guitar has been modified to the point that George Gruhn says it has no commercial value. That said, it gives me even more interest in restoring it as close as I can to it's original glory. This is a guitar that I would not sell for a profit. I would just to get it fixed up and keep it as a family heirloom. So the identification starts. Right now it is a natural finish, but it is obvious that it has been striped and varnisded with a broom. On the neck block the FON says 39xx 4 and the block is mahogany. It has wooden side strips, not fabric. The bridge is rectangular, but not original. It has 5 ply binding on back, but the top binding has been replaced with a wide single strip. The top has an inlayed skunk stripe. I thought they were painted at the factory. It has dot inly on the fingerboard which is not original. It has no machines, and the pickguard is not original. The top bracing is all gone, but the back bracing is tall and thin. Anyone have any thoughts on what I might have I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to throw this thing in the trash.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived