Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar set-up cost

Izzy

@ Joe Isuzu

I apreciate your honesty regarding my obvious inexperience. I remember wanting a 90s Civic a couple of years back and a boy who had one telling me, "Lady, unless you like working on cars, get something newer and safer." He wasn't being condecending, it was good advice.

What I meant about it "sounding decent and playing okay" was that if I use good form (to prevent buzzing) it sounds pretty to my ears (I usually play a '73 SG and the cheapie sounds different in a good way). Playing okay means I don't like the action and there is a bit of fret buzz (not on open strum just certain frets).

The guy at the shop looked down the neck and said, making a wave gesture with his hand, "the neck is not straight." I don't think he meant bent in one direction but wavy? The pickguard would be removed so the guts can be, "cleaned or replaced if something is broken." The fat E slides off the nut when I hit it hard.

I would be cool cleaning the guts and adjusting the truss rod (though I have nightmares of snaping the neck) and replacing the nut too. Someone said soldering and that may be the line.

Keep in mind, if I had a cheap squire to tinker with I would have just gone at it. I consulted ya'll because she's an old lady and I didn't want to have ya'll facepalm because I tinkered with it (I have more respect for old guitars than that, even if they are cheap!). I really like milod's suggestion of making it a slide guitar, but learning to tech would be worth it just to not be made a fool of and feel more confident next time I buy.

I've got a 2004 (or so) Ibanez 120SA that I paid $200 bucks for used, it sat in storage for around 5 years and then a few years ago I pulled it back out because I started playing again. I've been an on and off musician for 2 1/2 decades so this one didn't get much play-time when I first got it. The place I stored it in was not a perfect 50/50 dry-wet air mixture so the neck got warped/twisted very much like the one you have, it's bowed on both ends and there is a crooked spot where the neck meets the body. Having a new neck made to specks would run me $300 and the body is not in the greatest shape ether so it's really not worth fixing as I could find a nice slightly used Strat for not to much more than that. I could get a use-able brand new Epiphone for not to much more than that really so I'll likely get a new one when I can afford it and re-cycle the pick-up's in this old one as there some I had made about 2 years ago and are in great shape. I play acoustic more than I do electric so it's not a big deal to wait till I can find a good replacement whether its a new or used one.

If you want to see how working on guitars is really like then you can tinker with this POS you have for practice but I wouldn't go spending more then it's worth or more then it would cost to find a good used guitar if your wanting to keep it as a daily player. It's not going to be a good guitar, ever.... If you compare it to a real Strat or Les Paul. I often say that the super cheap guitars you find that are off-brand names and cost next to nothing when there new are not worth buying for some one who is going to be a real musician, Epiphones and Squires are for the beginners that are wanting to make a real go at it.

FWIW, Izzy, here are my thoughts;

Essentially I agree with AXE® in that you should just 'get out the tools'.

Taking the points you raise;

If I were you I'd start on setting the electronics to rights.

Your Teisco is a simple, no-nonsense design as far as the electrics are concerned and will almost certainly require nothing more than simple no-nonsense attention.

Even if a pot needs to be replaced it's a $5 part and if you have a soldering iron will take 10 mins to swap-out. If you don't have one ask around; someone will be sure to be able to loan you theirs.

A new knob? A friendly shop would almost just give you any old spare they have lying around. Smile sweetly and they might give you a matching pair........lol!

"The screws will be hard to remove"...why? As long as the heads aren't stripped a drop or two (not too much) of WD-40 or other such lubricant should loosen off all those years 'grip'.

Don't try to undo the screws too quickly. This might strip the heads and stripped heads make removal much more tricky. I speak from experience, I'm sorry to say. 'Slow Force' is the way to go.

It should be cheaper to work on an old (cheap) guitar's electronics as it's so basic when compared to a large number of more modern guits with PCBs, active electronics and the like.

The only concern would be if the neck were truly 'warped' - as in there is either a lateral or longitudinal twist which can't simply be rectified by truss-rod adjustment. From what I remember in the snap you posted there was a truss-rod but apologies if I'm mistaken. Truss-rod adjustment is very easy. Try this approach first, one quarter turn at a time. If this doesn't sort it out then try levelling the frets.

If the problem is warping but it isn't too bad - and as the guitar is playable at the moment I suspect that to be true - then it's well within your capabilities to adress the issue.

Just read up on it, borrow the right files (assuming you don't already have them) and take the required steps one-at-a-time.

None of this is rocket-science. Just don't be in too much of a rush and once the job is finished you will have a great sense of achievement in bringing the old dog back up to scratch.

I know you could just dump it and buy something 'better' but I understand why that's the opposite of what you want to do.

Good luck!

P.

Oh, boy, do some of those old tales of electric "stuff" sound like my own history. <grin>

In the early '70s I messed with a lot of the early "lousy" mostly Japanese guitars to repair and sell. Honestly, some of them were worth playing "out" when fixed up a bit even if they were kinda odd looking Asian "takes" on American guitars.

What makes one of us want to mess with a given instrument, or to play it, is awfully personal. I'd say get the book, watch the "guitar repair" vids, and have fun.

The "don't rush" on any given bit of work also is good advice, as is the "don't muscle" bolts and screws. I don't wanna think about how I never figured I was all that strong, but still broke more than a few new half-inch steel bolts with far less than full muscle power.

And too, getting the book and watching a batch of vids on guitar repair is well worth it even if Izzy - or anybody else - decides to use the old lady as a slide guitar or even a wall hanger... Learning constructive new things ain't ever bad, even if you'll never use the knowledge or skills, imho. Almost any new knowledge is transferable...

m

$80 sounds a little high for a set-up, but we don't know what all it may need. I agree with most of the others, get Dan Erlewine's book and work on it yourself. I have never paid for a set up on any of my guitars in 50 years of playing. Not that hard to work on yourself, it's fun rewarding and you'll learn more about guitars and how they work.

By the way Iz you sounded good playing rhythm on that strat the other night with Bachman Turner OD on PBS. (Check Rabs post of Canadian players) [flapper]

Izzy you got the guitar since you liked the looks and the sound - hell you knew it wasn't a great instrument but there's nothing wrong with having a lower end guitar if you enjoy it. The action can be raised the truss rod adjusted and while that won't fix the guitars issues it will make it more playable. There doesn't have to be logic in something you just like (look at KSdaddy's room of Applause guitars as a perfect example, there's a guy that can fix anything guitar wise or probably otherwise, check out his pencil rebuild if you don't believe me and he loves the Applause models that most players wouldn't pull out of a dumpster if they saw it) clean off all the grime and focus on what it needs not what a perfect guitar might have or want fixed. I love a crappy old Teisco I have that I have set way up off the frets for slide sure it's crap but it sounds really good. I love the old Les Paul Recording models that most people are either confused by or think there strange. But when you get one set up right they just sing like a angel. Ok maybe a angel on crack but they sing!

Don't let the tech bum you out like many have suggested fix up what bugs you ignore the rest and enjoy the guitar it's not like you spent thousands on it right? if you get stuck post some closeups of what you have and one of us will help and give you guidance and moral support as needed. And god forbid what's the worst thing that could happen you might trash it. So what almost everybody has already told you it's junk so you got nothing to lose. And if it looks like a lost cause raise the action as high as it can go tune it open E (low-high; E-B-E-G♯-B-E) and play slide on that old plank, Hell slide guitar is a blast it's about the most fun you can have at least with your clothes on. [biggrin]

Yeah I know. You made do with whatever you had. We did take extra fuses with us after that time though. I could be here all night talking about the stupid things we did in our youth. One was to make our own lights with miniature Frankenstein switches. Yep, exposed metal switches (talk about dumb idea!). Someone spilled their beer onto the entire rack and blew the whole bar out. Wild and crazy nights indeed.

/chuckle WE had a similar light rig. Little metal finger contacts all in a bank and color coded to the lights. There, but for the grace of God, go I.... :D!!

Hi Izzy,you may recall that when you first got the guitar I mentioned how Jeff "Skunk" Baxter used a Teisco on several of his lead breaks of Steely Dan albums in the early 70s,I would dare say that if a cheap old Teisco is good enough for Skunk Baxter and he was able to get deadly tone from it,they should certainly be good enough for us mere mortals.I'd never dismiss a playable Teisco as junk because a lot of guitarists who can afford to spend $100,000 and up for a PAF Les Paul,often play them in concert and on recordings,they have a unique tonal footprint and when played through a really good amp they sound quite good.Some of the extremely rare 4 pickup deluxe trim Teiscos from the 60s that were of near pro quality when new,are going for $1,000 and up.

You have the perfect guitar to hone your tech skills on,as long as you go slow adjusting the truss rod especially,you only tighten or loosen the adjustment nut 1/4 turn at a time.A quality pro refret could cost as much as $200 but there are many books available that take you through every step of refrets plus doing setups.Stew-Mac has the proper refret tools and they also have books on the subject too as far as I know.Once you have your initial setup done you may be able to hold off on the refret.GrooveTech/Cruz Tools has an excellent guitar setup/maintenance tool kit for around $50 and it also includes a little booklet on how to do a basic setup,even intonation.The internet is also full of sites that have setup instructions.I'm sure that you would have no problem doing a setup if you followed instructions closely.A refret may not be very difficult for you if you used the proper tools and studied up on the procedure.Lots of luck if you decide to go the DIY route to get the guitar in top notch playing condition.

Bonzo,

Do you have a citation for this?

Yeah ZenKen,

He also claimed Brian Jones was murdered on a different forum and I asked for the sources of his "silly" claim and he produced a book by some groupie writer trying to use sensationalism to sell her book.

He thought I was rude, breaking the rules and not following proper "Forum Etiquette" on that forum.

Not flaming bonzoboy at all. He's okay in my book. Just needs to backup these "silly" claims.

Ping Pong Bob-it wasn't necessary to identify the name I use on another forum and I think that was off base,I may well have very valid reasons not to use it here,yet you took it upon yourself to make it public knowledge,I'd love to know why you found it so necessary to post my user name from another forum when it's really my own business,did you want to show off your sleuthing skills?.In answer to my "silly" claims, I have read in several credible sources that Brian's death was thought to be a murder by many of those close to him.Laura Jackson also alludes to that in her book and actually quotes family members and close friends whom she interviewed for her book.Brian's groundskeeper,Frank Thorogood was identified as being the killer of Brian Jones 30 years after his death by Anna Wohlin who was Brian's girlfriend at the time,she said that she waited so long to tell the true story because she feared for her life,knowing full well that Thorogood was quite capable of murder.As for being a "groupie" writer,Laura Jackson has written several biographies and as I have stated numerous times she validates incidents in Brian's life that I have been aware of for years,Andrew Loog Oldham has often related some of the incidents that she has written about Brian on his program. on Sirius on Little Steven's Underground garage.I would hardly consider quotes from people who were part of his Inner Sanctum as being silly. As I have said many times before I have read or listened to interviews from the most credible of sources and Laura Jackson also relates the same stories,so her accounts must be credible too.

As for Skunk Baxter using a Teisco to record some of his leads for Steely Dan,I read that in a Guitar Player Magazine feature done on him in the late 70s or early 80s.I vividly remember this because I found it so amusing that a guitarist who could buy PAF Les Pauls by the dozen relied on one of these old Teisco for some of his leads.I should still have that issue because I have most Guitar Player Mags that were published since around 1975.

Most of these stories were read so long ago that it would be impossible for me to remember which ones.I am very wary about a lot of things that I read but can pretty well separate the BS from the truth.All the info that I gathered didn't originate from rag mags like National Enquirer but from publications and documentaries that have gained a large degree of respect for being truthful and doing diligent research into their topics.Many of the same stories come from various sources and if several respected journals etc. print about what is basically the same incident you can pretty well rest assured that they are valid.

Ping Pong Bob-it wasn't necessary to identify the name I use on another forum and I think that was off base,I may well have very valid reasons not to use it here,yet you took it upon yourself to make it public knowledge,I'd love to know why you found it so necessary to post my user name from another forum when it's really my own business,did you want to show off your sleuthing skills?.In answer to my "silly" claims, I have read in several credible sources that Brian's death was thought to be a murder by many of those close to him.Laura Jackson also alludes to that in her book and actually quotes family members and close friends whom she interviewed for her book.Brian's groundskeeper,Frank Thorogood was identified as being the killer of Brian Jones 30 years after his death by Anna Wohlin who was Brian's girlfriend at the time,she said that she waited so long to tell the true story because she feared for her life,knowing full well that Thorogood was quite capable of murder.As for being a "groupie" writer,Laura Jackson has written several biographies and as I have stated numerous times she validates incidents in Brian's life that I have been aware of for years,Andrew Loog Oldham has often related some of the incidents that she has written about Brian on his program. on Sirius on Little Steven's Underground garage.I would hardly consider quotes from people who were part of his Inner Sanctum as being silly. As I have said many times before I have read or listened to interviews from the most credible of sources and Laura Jackson also relates the same stories,so her accounts must be credible too.

As for Skunk Baxter using a Teisco to record some of his leads for Steely Dan,I read that in a Guitar Player Magazine feature done on him in the late 70s or early 80s.I vividly remember this because I found it so amusing that a guitarist who could buy PAF Les Pauls by the dozen relied on one of these old Teisco for some of his leads.I should still have that issue because I have most Guitar Player Mags that were published since around 1975.

Most of these stories were read so long ago that it would be impossible for me to remember which ones.I am very wary about a lot of things that I read but can pretty well separate the BS from the truth.All the info that I gathered didn't originate from rag mags like National Enquirer but from publications and documentaries that have gained a large degree of respect for being truthful and doing diligent research into their topics.Many of the same stories come from various sources and if several respected journals etc. print about what is basically the same incident you can pretty well rest assured that they are valid.

Well I edited my post.

One suggestion. If you're going to start a thread here in the Gibson lounge & post the same thing in another very popular guitar forum lounge, it doesn't take a genius to figure out you're bonzoboy here and that other name over there.

I didn't know it was a secret.

Please accept my sincere apology and let's get over this sillyness,

Mike

Archived